2021 PRO equipment thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jever98

by jever98

@jcrr - I doubt that there is no difference in comfort between 85psi and appropriate pressure for your weight. FWIW I rode 32 GP5000tmTL @ under 40psi for Belgian waffle. Great for grip and comfort, but sidewalls didn't like it long term.

At your weight I'd venture that you can ride at 40 or below. My preferred pressure is when you can just start to feel the casing starting to flex a tiny bit.

As to speed: high pressure feels faster, because more vibrations get transmitted. You really need to do repeated runs to compare. My small sample of doing the same descent with different tire pressures have me the result that I was fastest at low pressure. YMMV, of course.
----
No longer in the industry

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jcrr wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:17 am

That's low! I'm 57kg and ride Roubaix 32 (installed measure 36 width) @ 85psi. And before the judgement starts, yes, I have ridden them starting at 50-55psi, and they roll faster at higher psi for me, no loss of comfort or grip.

The problem with this reasoning is if you're running 32mm tires at 85psi and actually going faster, then you're on good enough pavement to use 25mm tires at 105psi and roll even faster + avoid the aero penalty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Singular

by Singular

Kjetil wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:07 pm
I do not know how fat tubulars they used in the time of Mapei. Those green Corsas.
The mythical Pavé! For lovers of 90s and 00s racing (guilty!) I have a few pairs of Open left and one pair of 27 tubs, glued up to (of course!) a pair of Nemesis for classics romanticising. As a prequel for Sunday's viewing, we did a shits-and-giggles ride around town, playing Ronde & Roubaix in the pouring rain around a classics-themed course. Soggy bottoms and big smiles!

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:02 am
jcrr wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:17 am

That's low! I'm 57kg and ride Roubaix 32 (installed measure 36 width) @ 85psi. And before the judgement starts, yes, I have ridden them starting at 50-55psi, and they roll faster at higher psi for me, no loss of comfort or grip.
The problem with this reasoning is if you're running 32mm tires at 85psi and actually going faster, then you're on good enough pavement to use 25mm tires at 105psi and roll even faster + avoid the aero penalty.
Exactly. If you can't tell the difference between 50 and 85 PSI and speed is the priority, it's pointless and counterproductive to be running 32s in the first place.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:12 am

Exactly. If you can't tell the difference between 50 and 85 PSI and speed is the priority, it's pointless and counterproductive to be running 32s in the first place.

Man, I didn't even see the part about the tires being 36mm WAM on his rims. Bonkers.

spud

by spud

A bit of a pile-on I know, but I weigh 80K, and with 34mm tires I'd ride 50psi road, and about 40psi gravel. 80 psi is way too high for your weight, there's nothing the bike will do better at those pressures, other than vibrate.

maquisard

by maquisard

This is true, I am about 72kg and 185cm. I ride the 32mm roubaix at 60psi and they feel a little hard to start. On a day of rain or rougher surface I would drop to 50psi. 80psi is too great a pressure, much too great.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

80psi is not only too high for performance it's potentially dangerous, with bead failures. You should be around 50psi.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

OnTheRivet wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:51 pm
80psi is not only too high for performance it's potentially dangerous, with bead failures. You should be around 50psi.
I checked last night because I was thinking the same. The Specialized Roubaix 30/32mm tubeless tires have a reinforced casing and are rated to 100psi. At those pressures with a reinforced casing, he may as well be riding stone tires though.

jcrr

by jcrr

@jever98 @TobinHatesYou @maquisard @Karvalo @spud @OnTheRivet

The feedback and opinions are what makes this forum great.

Most of my riding is indeed on pavement, and compared to 25mm tires, the Roubaix just feels more comfortable. I do drop the pressure when I go off road. I agree, there is a balance btwn grip/speed/comfort at different pressures. I'm not dellusional- comfort goes up as they get softer. It's been years since I looked at the numbers but at lower pressures, the more watts I needed to put into them, which I rather not.

I'm just N=1, and YMMV. For my uses and needs, sets of Roubaix have served me very well over many years. I don't mind the pile on, they don't ride like stone tires, they have not exploded off any rims.

Does anyone have any data on pressures/equipment used at Roubaix? Epic conditions, would be interesting to know the setups for the real women and men, if they used inserts, etc.
Last edited by jcrr on Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just to reiterate, 85psi on 36mm WAM is absolutely wrong and you should stop doing it. You are losing forward motion to the tires literally bouncing over micro-imperfections in the asphalt rather than rolling over them. The only way this makes sense is if you ride on perfectly manicured concrete like in an outdoor velodrome. Do yourself a favor and drop the pressure at least down to 60psi, and more likely 50psi for your weight.

We all relate that high frequency vibration to rolling fast. Don't be be fooled.

jcrr

by jcrr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:08 pm
Just to reiterate, 85psi on 36mm WAM is absolutely wrong and you should stop doing it. You are losing forward motion to the tires literally bouncing over micro-imperfections in the asphalt rather than rolling over them. The only way this makes sense is if you ride on perfectly manicured concrete like in an outdoor velodrome. Do yourself a favor and drop the pressure at least down to 60psi, and more likely 50psi for your weight.
Suggestion noted, @TobinHatesYou :thumbup:

Now, does anyone have any tid bits on Roubaix setups? It looked like FDJ got the rubber part of the equation less than figured out....

Karvalo

by Karvalo

jcrr wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:36 pm
yes, I have ridden them starting at 50-55psi, and they roll faster at higher psi for me, no loss of comfort or grip.
I'm not dellusional- comfort goes up as they get softer.
:noidea:
For my uses and needs,
What exactly are your uses and needs? Genuinely curious, because for prioritising speed your setup is not a great choice and prioritising comfort it's not a great choice either. What is it for?

jcrr

by jcrr

Karvalo wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:24 pm
jcrr wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:36 pm
yes, I have ridden them starting at 50-55psi, and they roll faster at higher psi for me, no loss of comfort or grip.
I'm not dellusional- comfort goes up as they get softer.
:noidea:
For my uses and needs,
What exactly are your uses and needs? Genuinely curious, because for prioritising speed your setup is not a great choice and prioritising comfort it's not a great choice either. What is it for?
For all around use, mixed surfaces, rain or shine, year round. One tire to do it all. 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

jcrr wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:30 pm
For all around use, mixed surfaces, rain or shine, year round. One tire to do it all. 8)
Do you run it that hard when it's raining?