2021 PRO equipment thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

C36

by C36

micky wrote:
Bernal was on an obsolete LW wheels even yesterday, I was genuinely surprised considering it was raining since km 0.
It just put in perspective that braking is not a real performance factor (as proven multiple times)

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
- 1995 Miguel Indurain Pinarello restauration project
- R3000si Junior bike restauration project.

maquisard

by maquisard

C36 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:19 pm
It just put in perspective that braking is not a real performance factor (as proven multiple times)
True, as long as the rider does not crash (as proven multiple times)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

People on a bike forum think bikes and brake types matter a lot more than they actually do in real life.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:44 pm
People on a bike forum think bikes and brake types matter a lot more than they actually do in real life.
Wholly dependent on where you live and ride. Wisconsin, Netherlands not so much. California with the Sierras or believe it or not the coastal mountains where I live have ridiculous 18-20% descents everywhere, seeing first hand people melting carbon clinchers was enough for me to switch 4 years ago. I love my discs and tubeless tires.

C36

by C36

OnTheRivet wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:44 pm
Wholly dependent on where you live and ride. Wisconsin, Netherlands not so much. California with the Sierras or believe it or not the coastal mountains where I live have ridiculous 18-20% descents everywhere, seeing first hand people melting carbon clinchers was enough for me to switch 4 years ago. I love my discs and tubeless tires.
Just to put back the church at the center of the village. What we individually love is irrelevant to what pro ride and what performance is.
Talking tubetype carbon rim on random cases is nothing to do with pros (and doesnt remove the other benefits discs can have)

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g

micky

by micky

This is sort of "old news" but now it's official; Ewan on 11s Campagnolo groupset due to cassette choice.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/caleb- ... heres-why/

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

micky wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 pm
This is sort of "old news" but now it's official; Ewan on 11s Campagnolo groupset due to cassette choice.

I'm not buying it, seems absurd a pro needing a 27? More likely to do with him having the special thumb buttom made for his 11 speed shifter and not being able to use that on 12speed.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COyb3FkgPG3 ... _copy_link

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

micky wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 pm

I thought that article was about all the holes in the 12sp cassettes. I know I would prefer something that is close especially with 12sp at your disposal. For TTs I could totally understand them wanting close cassettes.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

C36 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:02 pm

Just to put back the church at the center of the village. What we individually love is irrelevant to what pro ride and what performance is.
Talking tubetype carbon rim on random cases is nothing to do with pros (and doesnt remove the other benefits discs can have)

What consumers ride/buy has clearly had an influence on the pro peloton as only Ineos and sometimes UAE are on rim-brake bikes at all.

sychen

by sychen

Not sure if this was done before but nice detail on the Castelli pink jersey with the zipper the shape of the trophy. Image

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:01 am
C36 wrote:

What consumers ride/buy has clearly had an influence on the pro peloton as only Ineos and sometimes UAE are on rim-brake bikes at all.
There were quite a few teams on them at the recent Volta Ao Algarve, including that of the overall winner.

C36

by C36

TobinHatesYou wrote:
C36 wrote:

We can discuss the chicken or the egg and how arm twisting happened. Now at the moment to question what a pro (that still has the choice to decide) rides; what an individual amateur “love” is using a wrong paradigm.
Those “apparently questionable choices” are the most interesting ones since they go beyond the marketing team will.

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

How and why doesn’t really matter. It happened and the consumer side is the reason nearly all World Tour teams are on disc now.

maquisard

by maquisard

sychen wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 am
Not sure if this was done before but nice detail on the Castelli pink jersey with the zipper the shape of the trophy.
Does not look good in my opinion - also if my experience with Castelli zipper is common place, the zipper tag will break off in washing machine after not much use.

Castelli clothing is nice, but does not last long, poor durability.

sychen

by sychen

maquisard wrote:
sychen wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 am
Not sure if this was done before but nice detail on the Castelli pink jersey with the zipper the shape of the trophy.
Does not look good in my opinion - also if my experience with Castelli zipper is common place, the zipper tag will break off in washing machine after not much use.

Castelli clothing is nice, but does not last long, poor durability.
Would of thought only the ones with these special zippers are the ones that actually earn one.. Don't think they will be washing them too many times after they lose the lead.. Or win overall.

Or maybe you do? Wouldn't know. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com