2021 PRO equipment thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TheRich

by TheRich

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:25 am
TheRich wrote:Why is it that the Di2 crash mode always seems to happen on Specialized bikes?
Two high profile teams on Specialized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vs all the teams running Shimano.

I know it's not a scientific study, but the only time we (or at least I) hear about Di2 going into crash mode in a race, and sometimes not even after a crash, it's on a Specialized bike. Is there some unintended design element that makes it more likely?

What specifically triggers it, is it a sensor that detects a force, movement in the derailleur not caused by the motor?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alfus

by Alfus

TheRich wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 pm
ultimobici wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:25 am
TheRich wrote:Why is it that the Di2 crash mode always seems to happen on Specialized bikes?
Two high profile teams on Specialized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vs all the teams running Shimano.

I know it's not a scientific study, but the only time we (or at least I) hear about Di2 going into crash mode in a race, and sometimes not even after a crash, it's on a Specialized bike. Is there some unintended design element that makes it more likely?

What specifically triggers it, is it a sensor that detects a force, movement in the derailleur not caused by the motor?
A sensor plus acelerometer.

TheRich

by TheRich

Alfus wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:28 pm
A sensor plus acelerometer.
That's what I suspected because Google wasn't much help, where is the accelerometer? Is it due to some coincidence of a specific design element in Tarmacs? The junction box in the seatpost, battery location relative to the seat stays along with seat tube flex?

ALS

by ALS

Roglic on a new R5?

Alfus

by Alfus

Yes, hidden cables.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Also, Jumbo Visma seem to be another team going to 140mm rotors front an rear. Alpecin Fenix, Total Direct Energie, Intermarche, B&B, Arkea-Samsic and a couple other that escape me.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

140mm is fine for them, they don't drag their brakes for long compared to amateurs (except maybe Ilnur Zakarin) and they're usually lighter than average non-pros. I don't know if it's still the case but even for consumers, Shimano deemed 140mm rotors to be safe front and rear if you use their Ice Tech pads and rotors, my first disc road bike even came stock with 140mm front and rear. SRAM says 160mm only on the road, 140mm only in CX.

IchDien

by IchDien

Enjoyed seeing Howes use the Shimano support bike for a considerable period in the break today. Hard to find a recent photo of what frame it is but seemed to do him ok.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

IchDien wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:55 am
Enjoyed seeing Howes use the Shimano support bike for a considerable period in the break today. Hard to find a recent photo of what frame it is but seemed to do him ok.

I think it might be a Fuji SL 1.1?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Fuji is probably correct.

lazyriderzhao

by lazyriderzhao

ALS wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm
Roglic on a new R5?

FSA NS ACR Stem :wink:

spud

by spud

^ interesting design choice. Similar to the Scott Addict, which despite it's appearance, does not manage to be as aero as competitors like Cannondale and Spec. May not even be more aero than the present R5 with exposed cables. Possibly due to the big headtube necessitated by the bearing system?

ophiravina

by ophiravina

https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/ch ... -the-alps/

Looks like rotor uno front caliper
:noidea:
Last edited by ophiravina on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

robbosmans

by robbosmans

So a magura caliper, perfectly possible, both shimano and magura use mineral oil. Has been done before on mtb’s. Something with better modulation and or power

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com