2021 On the Road Today

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kingtom

by kingtom

Finally the weather was like early summer today. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

kingtom wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:30 pm
Finally the weather was like early summer today.
I know there is beauty everywhere but whenever I see cycling pics in Switzerland I always think Wow :beerchug:

kingtom

by kingtom

We were riding yesterday Image Klausenpass-PreOpeningImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Guerdi

by Guerdi

flying wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:00 am
kingtom wrote:
I know there is beauty everywhere but whenever I see cycling pics in Switzerland I always think Wow :beerchug:
Yes the landscape is nice but what you don't see on his pictures are the 1000s of motorbikes and cars. They are absolutey everywhere on such sunny days.

Those closed Alpine passes are a blessing but soon enough the sound of your breath and the nature is gone.

Ride the famous Grimsel / Furka / Susten loop on a Sunday and you will feel your pain. And don't expect a free spot in the terraces at the top :lol:

flying

by flying

Guerdi wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 pm
flying wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:00 am
kingtom wrote:
Yes the landscape is nice but what you don't see on his pictures are the 1000s of motorbikes and cars. They are absolutey everywhere on such sunny days.

Those closed Alpine passes are a blessing but soon enough the sound of your breath and the nature is gone.

Ride the famous Grimsel / Furka / Susten loop on a Sunday and you will feel your pain. And don't expect a free spot in the terraces at the top :lol:

Ahhh yes that would be a prob...I am lucky where I live I rarely see a car...which of course can also have it's downside as I ride alone & some areas lack cell coverage

Also yes the three famous spots you mention :thumbup:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I spent two weeks mid-summer riding just about every significant pass (and many lesser known) in Switzerland and had no problem with cars or motorcycles. It was very quiet. The St Gotthard pass with only one or two cars and a horse drawn carriage. And also almost nothing on the way there over the Splugen and the San Bernadino.
Perhaps it is busy on weekends? Even the popular Furka and Grimsel were reasonably quiet when we were there.

Now the Dolomites - that was a mess. Passed by so many car rally's I lost count, though one consisted of about 100 Ferrari's going hard up the Giau - that was cool. Descending the Pordoi in a line of Ducati's, also cool.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

You guys in Europe are just spoilt rotten complaining about traffic on such scenic routes

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

yinya

by yinya

I feel the pain of all the cars and motos. Must be a weekend thing, after 10am, endless. For this reason maybe the Gr. Scheidegg is one of the more enjoyable ones, along with the majestic Eiger...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingtom

by kingtom

The way back home from the office. Nearly no traffic over Ibergeregg and Sattelegg. During the week you'll easy find some quite spots.
But ok, the hotspots like Susten, Grimsel, Furka are really a mess in the summer-weekends. ImageImage

basilic

by basilic

yinya wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:27 pm

I feel the pain of all the cars and motos. Must be a weekend thing, after 10am, endless. For this reason maybe the Gr. Scheidegg is one of the more enjoyable ones, along with the majestic Eiger...

Is that the current state of the road? not cleared yet?
(also I think that's the Wetterhorn, not the Eiger)

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

If I may add a bit more Swissness to this post : Col du Suchet

kingtom

by kingtom

Not, that this thread will fall asleep Image of course I was on the road at the weekend. ImageImageImageImageImage

Miller

by Miller

Of course it was the big US gravel race at the weekend but forget prairies and wide roads and such, this shows what 'gravel' riding is like for me. The bike featured here, btw, is the new Canyon Grizl.

themidge

by themidge

Big day out today, including about the closest thing Scotland has got to your lot's Swiss Alps :D
The Bealach Na Bà, road to Applecross. Then I rode all round the rest of the peninsula which was not flat at all, ended up with 2000m of climbing in 100km.
ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinya

by yinya

basilic wrote:
yinya wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:27 pm

Is that the current state of the road? not cleared yet?
(also I think that's the Wetterhorn, not the Eiger)
That was May 22, so easily could have cleared by now.