2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

flying

by flying

Ethias
Full Race

stoney

by stoney

I'm interested in seeing how Wout goes today after all the running he did at Ethias Cross yesterday...running carrying a bike can't be good for the back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

stoney wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:36 am
I'm interested in seeing how Wout goes today after all the running he did at Ethias Cross yesterday...running carrying a bike can't be good for the back.
Well he went quite well didn't he? :beerchug:

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I havent watched the mens yet but the womens race was pretty good as Rochelle from Canada placed third and the charge by Vos was pretty amazing considering all the difficulties she encountered. It was good to see VanEmple win though after Vos duffed her up. The snow loop was definitely not flat but it seems to me many of the courses now are more about running when mud is fine and snow meh but they are appealing to the Olympics for a chance to have an event. I prefer the faster courses with some mud obviously but not so bad that when you have to run through it you just about lose your shoes or wreck your knees. Like Sanne Cant said, its like a circus. Pretty sure she was holding back.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

As I always say, CX courses need far more variety. Yesterdays course was better than first thought, but I'd tweak it - get rid of the power sections, and make it more technical. As mentioned on the commentary, they didn't want to go into the wooded section or have much climbing so it wasn't like a MTB course. Why? What's wrong with having climbing? I don' understand the reluctance to have climbing courses in the World Cup or World Championships.....

I know it's part of the sport, but I'm not a massive fan of courses with lots of running.....

Hopefully, yesterday isn't a one off - and we see more of them. The scenery alone is almost enough to sell the sport - makes a change from muddy Belgian fields...
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

Karvalo

by Karvalo

BenSiskri wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:43 am
What's wrong with having climbing?....

....I'm not a massive fan of courses with lots of running
Climbing on snow = running :noidea:

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

BenSiskri wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:43 am

I know it's part of the sport, but I'm not a massive fan of courses with lots of running.....
The very symbol of the sport is a rider with their bike over their shoulder and running with it. The running component is what differentiates it from all other cycling disciplines.

That said, I prefer courses that aren't so heavy on the running, but it is what it is.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

If the various orgs are trying to gain IOC certification as a winter sport, then how do you prevent CX from morphing into XC in the wiinter? Aside from the bike differences, harder CX courses might become just that, and if so, the Olympic attempt could become a non-starter since XC is already there.

So what will future pro CX look like then?

flying

by flying

I know its not new but....Those are some shiny Treks :wink:

Almost looks like the Cromovelato deal they do on steel frames

Since this is carbon what are they using? Wrap?

EDIT: Found this https://racing.trekbikes.com/stories/tr ... tion-bikes

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Wow these look real good, best kit so far

Karvalo

by Karvalo

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:43 am
:lol:

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:43 am
First time full zip jersey for Movistar. Sponsor previously wouldn't allow them as they didn't want the logo unidentifiable if the jersey was unzipped.

Attermann

by Attermann

that doesn't look like it's full zipper

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Loved the Val di Sole race but the whole cyclocross in the snow is a risky business. You could easily have changing combinations of temperature, precipitation, humidity, etc. leading up to and during the race that would render any course unrideable. The organizers will have to become experts in using ski hill grooming equipment on the course. Also, rider facilities will have to be massively upgraded. There must be heated enclosed areas accessible to the riders before and after the race. It was disturbing to see the top three standing in the open waiting for the podium ceremony to start. Even the starting grid should be covered and heated with a flap that opens at the gun. As for the riders themselves, some of them seem unaware that there is clothing available that would protect them before and after the race. Throwing on an extra jersey or gillet ain't going to do the job.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.