2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spud

by spud

^ first thing I thought after the official result was that WVA would have lost that sprint had he been on a standard rather than aero bike.

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

Same is true for Pidcock then? If he was on a non aero bike he would have lost by a bigger margin 🤷🏼‍♂️

Both WVA and Pidcock did an amazing job. But WVA started the sprint from far and from the front, and although it was with a minuscule difference, Pidcock didnt come over him, even with the slipstream advantage.
So imo WVA rode a better sprint
Last edited by LOWIEV on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Cost of riding a Pinarello...

stevec1975

by stevec1975

What I think we can agree on, Pidcock is a phenomenon. 21 years old, first season WT, one of the strongest riders in the world at the mo. Whats next, GC ambitions? Him and Remco going at each other should be fun..

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

stevec1975 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:51 pm
What I think we can agree on, Pidcock is a phenomenon. 21 years old, first season WT, one of the strongest riders in the world at the mo. Whats next, GC ambitions? Him and Remco going at each other should be fun..
100% agree.
Dont forget Tadej Pogacar and Bernal.....

The future is bright 😀

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Looking forward to see him race xco with the big boys

maquisard

by maquisard

It is surprising how little of the fanfare the little Peacock received compared to WvA, MvdP or Remco. He is an equal, if not greater talent.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

maquisard wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:12 pm
It is surprising how little of the fanfare the little Peacock received compared to WvA, MvdP or Remco. He is an equal, if not greater talent.
Simple: he is not. All coming from CX so that's where the hype came from when they switched to road, Pidcock is not even in the same class, he can compete against them only if they have very bad days, plus he is very inconsistant, good a week or two, then mid pack for a month, Wout and even more Mathieu have rarely been off the top two steps of the podiums all season long every CX seasons. And Pidcock's performances on the road are great, but they're not quite jaw-dropping and logic-defying like those of WVA and even more MVDP... and again, inconsistant compared to them.

On the flip side, he probably can develop into a better GC rider given his lighter weight... although I have no idea how good he is in TT, and even there, he's not quite on the same level as Pogacar and Remco IMO. Don't get me wrong, he's very talented, he's just been on the WorldTour for a few months and has already had better performances than many will ever have in their careers and with more time, he could do special things in the future, but so far he's great, very great, but I would not consider him equal, even less a greater talent compared to MVDP, WVA, Remco and Pog.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maquisard

by maquisard

In other news, the racist Moscon has one a bicycle race.

spud

by spud

stevec1975 wrote:
I wonder if this is correct. The fact that Pidcock, Bernal, Remco, Pogacar are winning races has me wondering if in fact these guys really are "phenomena" - if there are that many of them, clearly they are not "once in a generation" talents, as amazing as they are. Maybe there have always been super talented kids who got put to work for established stars, waiting for their turn as a supported rider once they reached the age of 24-25. I think some of the older guys can remember Boonen waiting for Hincapie and throwing away a shot at PR when he was 21 years old. Or maybe I'm dead wrong and these 4-5 guys really are once in a lifetime talents. In any case, I'm glad they are out there, because they upset the status quo and make the racing very interesting.

garbageman

by garbageman

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:25 am
robbosmans wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 am
Purely hypothetical, but Pidcock was using Lightweights which are not exactly known for being aero, WVA on the other hand was using the unreleased Dura-Aces. Would be interesting to see the gains of an aero wheels in a sprint.

Oh Pidcock absolutely lost that sprint because of his LW Meilensteins.
Actually, I think that bottle in his cage is 100% to blame. :roll:

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

spud wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm
stevec1975 wrote:
I wonder if this is correct. The fact that Pidcock, Bernal, Remco, Pogacar are winning races has me wondering if in fact these guys really are "phenomena" - if there are that many of them, clearly they are not "once in a generation" talents, as amazing as they are. Maybe there have always been super talented kids who got put to work for established stars, waiting for their turn as a supported rider once they reached the age of 24-25. I think some of the older guys can remember Boonen waiting for Hincapie and throwing away a shot at PR when he was 21 years old. Or maybe I'm dead wrong and these 4-5 guys really are once in a lifetime talents. In any case, I'm glad they are out there, because they upset the status quo and make the racing very interesting.

This^ It's more a change of how younger guys are allowed to race. Paolo Bettini would have had an incredible palmares (still impressive) if he hadn't had to do donkey work for Michele Bartoli all those years.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

maquisard wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:42 pm
Im not a Moscon fan but I'm also big on giving people a chance. He was/is young and clearly has anger issues (been there) I'm wondering how he feels about the situation now. It would be an interesting interview for sure.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

OnTheRivet wrote:
maquisard wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:42 pm
Im not a Moscon fan but I'm also big on giving people a chance. He was/is young and clearly has anger issues (been there) I'm wondering how he feels about the situation now. It would be an interesting interview for sure.
If it was just one incident I would agree, but Moscon has had lots of them. There was an interesting episode of the German podcast Besenwagen. They always ask their guests (often pro riders) about their favorite and least favorite riders in the peloton and I think it was a the episode with Haussler where he said that he hopes that Moscon just goes away, because pretty much every rider in the peloton had some run in with him (I think he said Moscon pushed him deliberately of the road). He was also saying that he'd been given second changes left and right but still the incidents happen.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

So at what age does it stop being okay to be an aggressive racist? :roll: He's not 8 years old, he's 26, he's been an adult for 8 years already! And even a 8 years old doing what he does, you expect them to be told it's wrong and why and then to stop, but he just proves how big of an asshole he is over and over again.