2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

As much high regard as I have for Mr. Dowsett, he's gained much more today.
Chapeaus for life! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ducman

by ducman

Victor Campenaerts record wasn't that easy after all.
Kudos to Victor! (Which he didn't get so much the day he broke the record....)

spud

by spud

Nothing against Dowsett at all, but I actually like to see some people fail at the hour record. If every public attempt results in a new record, it devalues the title. Good on him for taking his shot in the public eye, I wish him all the best going forward.

maquisard

by maquisard

Many riders fail at the hour record. This attempt was one of the high profile attempts with sponsorship from Factor/ISN/Hammerhead and streaming online video.This is why the attempt has drawn more attention.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

maquisard wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:17 pm
Many riders fail at the hour record. This attempt was one of the high profile attempts with sponsorship from Factor/ISN/Hammerhead and streaming online video.This is why the attempt has drawn more attention.
Pretty much every attempt gets streamed live these days. Even Bigham's attempt, which wasn't recognized by the UCI, was streamed on YT for us all to see.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

maquisard wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:06 am
A ride of 54.555km. He did beat the distance of the Wiggins (54.526km), but not the unofficial British record of Bigham (54.723km).
British Cycling recongise Bigham as the National Record holder for the Hour Record. It is not an unofficial record by any stretch of the imagination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_r ... ck_cycling

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Cycomanic wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:23 pm
Just read that pentathlon is going to change from equestrianism to cycling after the scandals at the Olympics. Will be interesting to see what discipline they choose. Might actually make pentathlon interesting.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Scandal? The German coach (Kim Raisner) punched a horse and encouraged her rider to hit the horse herself. "really hit it"

She was disqualified, I really wish the punishment was harsher as that's animal abuse and bringing the sport in disrepute on an international level. Why should one person's actions change a sport that has remained constant for 109 years?

maquisard

by maquisard

Because it is a joke of a sport, it deserves no place in the Olympics.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

MichaelK wrote:
Cycomanic wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:23 pm
Just read that pentathlon is going to change from equestrianism to cycling after the scandals at the Olympics. Will be interesting to see what discipline they choose. Might actually make pentathlon interesting.

Scandal? The German coach (Kim Raisner) punched a horse and encouraged her rider to hit the horse herself. "really hit it"

She was disqualified, I really wish the punishment was harsher as that's animal abuse and bringing the sport in disrepute on an international level. Why should one person's actions change a sport that has remained constant for 109 years?
The scandal was not only the call from the coach. It's the whole setting of the discipline which is unfair to athletes and cruel to the animals. Essentially the athletes are given horses through lottery and have 20min to get to know the horse (which has been called completely inadequate by other horse disciplines). Now the horses are supposed to be all well trained, but obviously they are not and different horses and riders need different time to get used to each other. The particular horse at the Olympics had already refused to jump in previous heats IIRC and completely blocked when ridden by favorite and clear leader of the competition, essentially completely taking her out of contention. The whole shouting by the coach just caused the publicity (which was very much needed).

Just imagine in track cycling riders are given random bikes and in the finals of the team pursuit the pedals of Gannas bike fall off at the start. Everyone would call this out as ridiculous, rightfully so.

maquisard

by maquisard

Interesting analysis of the Dowsett attempt. The drop off in pace was quite dramatic in the final 20 mins.

ms6073

by ms6073

maquisard wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:13 pm
Because it is a joke of a sport, it deserves no place in the Olympics.
But that argument could easily be made for many Olympic sports - Curling from the winter games comes to mind. I feel that any event for which there is the opportunity to gain weight while in the heat of competition should really not be in consideration as an olympic sport.
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"Solving problems you didn't know you had in ways you probably won't understand"

AJS914

by AJS914

I had to go find this horse punching myself. Geez, it's hardly a punch. I had imagined the coach punching the horse in the face or something. It's not clear though what hitting the horse on it's giant hind leg muscle was going to accomplish.

https://youtu.be/lQuReCQjxs0?t=21

Stendhal

by Stendhal

EF Education First announced that it's coming on as a co sponsor of the SVB Tibco women's team, as the first name in the new team name. Excellent news all around. Women pro cycling is awesome, the riders are strong and competitive. Increasing the fan base and perhaps participant base for cycling helps all cyclists. And as a SF Bay Area resident it's pleasing to see good things happen to local companies and riders (I see SVB Tibco jerseys from time to time whizz by me at very fast paces I can't match :D )
Orbea Orca OMX (7.066 kg), Chapter2 Rere Tauhou (7.35)
Retired: S-Works SL6, LOW mki, Dogma F10\F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2\R3\Aspero\R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I rode in a group with Linda Jackson (the owner of the team) a couple hours ago. She had an extra 10% power today, I kid you not.

Seems that TIBCO-SVB is getting the whole shebang in terms of sponsorship. Rapha and POC are definitely coming onboard. I wonder if Vision/FSA are too.

AFAIK Slipstream Sports (aka EF Pro Cycling) has major Bay Area ties. I used to see their old bikes on Craigslist all the time.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Very cool news for Tibco. Linda has worked her butt off over the years. Great staff and riders Amways loved having them based out of the bay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com