2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Chaunch wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:03 am
Its hard to imagine any other World Tour team is run so poorly. They have been in the peleton for 40 years and have had great results in the past.
But every day (at least in front of the camera) is chaos and controversy. Can you imagine being a Unzue or a DS and watching that? No clear leadership and everybody has an opinion!

Also, can't imagine the race engineer for Lewis Hamilton freaking out over the radio like they all do. Take a breath.
Hard to believe; I mean, they are the "best" team at the Tour year in/year out!!!! :D :D :D

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Dirty sprint from Costa in the Tour de Suisse, he should be dq’d

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Karvalo wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm
He just turned in with too much brake on, nothing more complicated than that.
Yeah, exactly with too much weight on the front tire.

Watching the Tour of Switzerland, I see that Carapaz has the same fit going. Ineos thing?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

:mrgreen:

Scene from the Ineos bus:

Dave Brailsford: "Alright guys, we're adding a bunch of headset spacers to your bikes, putting shorter stems too. We were told by a random guy on an internet forum that we're doing it wrong and that's why Geraint and Richie crash all the time."

Geraint: "But every pro cyclists have positions as aggressive, some even more and they don't crash."

Dave: "Are you telling me a forum dude who may not even ride bikes for what we know is wrong and that you crash because you lack skills?"

Geraint: "Well... I have always crashed every other day no matter what, Richie too..."

Dave: "The evidence is there G, a picture of you riding in the drops versus one where you relax on a turbo with only one hand on the hood while on your phone, we need youto ride always like when you relax with your phone, that is the future of riding position!"

Geraint: "A real shame we're not allowed to race with our phones..."

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:21 pm
Dirty sprint from Costa in the Tour de Suisse, he should be dq’d
Apparantly he was.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:27 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm
He just turned in with too much brake on, nothing more complicated than that.
Yeah, exactly with too much weight on the front tire.
That's the opposite of what makes a thing slide.

MiSzA (PL)

by MiSzA (PL)

UCI is full of morons...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-sc ... andlebars/
What is the aim of this? By that logic, all posiitons that originate from holding the top of the hoods should also be deemd illegal as thay too use forarms as a point of contact. Absurd. Socks as well. It is like watching old man killing the sport due disconnection with reality!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

MiSzA (PL) wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:19 pm
UCI is full of morons...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-sc ... andlebars/
What is the aim of this? By that logic, all posiitons that originate from holding the top of the hoods should also be deemd illegal as thay too use forarms as a point of contact. Absurd. Socks as well. It is like watching old man killing the sport due disconnection with reality!
It's not point of contact that's not allowed, it's point of support. Your forearms can touch the bars while grabbing the hoods but then they don't really support you with normal bars.

And Jan-Willem van Schip and his team should have known better, the rule is there since April 1st, the UCI even has this picture of Jan-Willem van Schip himself I believe with a NOT ALLOWED tag on it to show as an exemple.

What makes no sense is that the UCI jury at the race this morning told them the bars were fine. I guess the DQ is for riding with his forearms on them, not for the bars themselves... but then there is not much point using those bars.

sychen

by sychen

The absurdity stems from the race jury allowing the use of the handlebars that morning and then DQed them that night.

This is a uci issue.. All they had to do is say.. Don't use them again until we have a concrete ruling.. Or we made a mistake allowing them today.. No more.

Hands were on the bars.. They don't specifically say how much of the forearms can touch bars.. Technically the bent arm hands on hood position also can be DQed. We will soon have a sock rule for the hand/arm... Can't touch % of the arm.

Personally think the bars in question is taking the piss and shouldn't be used... As it is an aero extension by design.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

The local jury said okay in the morning, his DQ came afterwards and ordered from the UCI technical commission...

But no matter the bars, he was clearly seen breaking the rule, that's why I was thinking the bars are allowed, it's using them as an elbow support that is not and so the jury in the morning allowed the bars, but he was later DQed for the way he was riding on them.

I would expet the rule will be amended to ban these types of bars soon enough though. The UCI may introduce a maximal reach and minimum width allowed.

gwilson

by gwilson

The claimed contradiction seems more a misunderstanding: The bars themselves are not technically illegal. But using your forearms for support is illegal regardless of your handlebar setup, and as the above posted video shows, he was clearly doing that. So while the team might be trying to claim there's some form of inconsistency, it's quite simple: the bars are not inherently illegal, but he used them today (in the breakaway on TV) in a manner that is illegal regardless of your bar setup.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Even with my basic knowledge of the UCI rule book it's clear the use of these bars contravene the rules, but if they'd been approved by the race in the morning surely you just ban them the next day? Seems wholly inequitable to DQ the guy if the UCI have expressly permitted the bars on the start line, what did they expect? The guy would only ride on the drops/flats all day?

But the UCI is judge, jury and executioner
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

maquisard

by maquisard

bikewithnoname wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:53 am
Even with my basic knowledge of the UCI rule book
This is the problem - the UCI rules are incomplete and have many gaps. They need to spend time and fix this before adding new vague and misleading rules.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

The UCI really don't help themselves - such inconsistencies. They make the FiA look good. If those bars were 'passed' by the local UCI officials, then all they had to do was later inform rider & team they could no longer use them in the race. A DSQ is a complete heavy handed over reaction.

I have to be honest, I don't like those narrow bars used on the road - their place is in the velodrome - but that's a different matter.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bikewithnoname wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:53 am
Even with my basic knowledge of the UCI rule book it's clear the use of these bars contravene the rules, but if they'd been approved by the race in the morning surely you just ban them the next day?
But again, the bars themselves aren't inherently illegal which is what they asked the comm in the morning. The position he used in the race was illegal which is why he was DQd in the afternoon.
Seems wholly inequitable to DQ the guy if the UCI have expressly permitted the bars on the start line, what did they expect? The guy would only ride on the drops/flats all day?
Ummm, yeah. Why not? :noidea:

I dont agree with the rule but given that it exists and is clear then I believe that is a perfectly reasonable expectation. He can ride with those bars in a legal position in the hoods or the drops just like any other set of bars. He just chose not to, and moaning about it now is amateur hour nonsense.