2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

At least Pog used the inner ring today. Still looked like he was out for a Sunday bimble

Time cut looks tight
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

HammerTime2 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:19 pm
Pog on rim!!
Not to get into a rim vs disc debate (I have one of each) but assuming both bikes are 6.8kg what is the advantage of rim brakes? I've been under the assumption that Ineos uses them because the Dogma disc version is well over 6.8kg.

Alfus

by Alfus

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:57 pm
HammerTime2 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:19 pm
Pog on rim!!
Not to get into a rim vs disc debate (I have one of each) but assuming both bikes are 6.8kg what is the advantage of rim brakes? I've been under the assumption that Ineos uses them because the Dogma disc version is well over 6.8kg.
Quick wheel change, less noisy, not really complicate descend today, no rain...

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Maybe the Colnagos with disc brakes are not as heavy as Pinarellos but not quite at 6.8kg either? :noidea:

Everytime Carapaz has attacked during this Tour, he came away gaining 0 seconds... at best!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

size 54 v3rs is ~7.3kg.. I'm sure UAE with tubs etc can get it to 6.9 if they want. This was for quick wheel changes.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Yeah, did to see how much time Chaves lost today getting a front disc wheel change from neutral support? Burned a few matches getting back to the group uphill
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

outnumbered

by outnumbered

Carapaz probably gained a few more seconds on Uran with that tactic, but he certainly missed out on a stage win. Make that attack with 200m to go and he might have held Pog off.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:00 pm
size 54 v3rs is ~7.3kg.. I'm sure UAE with tubs etc can get it to 6.9 if they want. This was for quick wheel changes.
This is what's so maddening, disc is no slower than rim. I switch disc wheels on one of my bikes all the time and it's easily as fast as my old rim brake bikes. The problem is the teams don't work on the process. Total Direct energie is the only team I've seen who have it wired. Mechanic got out with a drill gun and wheel and the rider knew what to do, it was crazy fast. If I was a WT team, every mehcanic and rider would spend a full day at training camp working on the process. Also, both wheels should have a handle for the axle so a rider can switch wheels between other riders if the team car isn't available. I'll say it now, INEOS will go disc, they will dial it in the off season creating special tools/equipment and will streamline the process to be the same or better than rim brakes and then everyone else will be "duh, why didn't we do that" and the whole wheel change thing will be a non-issue.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Quick-Step usually can swap disc wheels quite fast too, probably not any slower than rim brake wheels, I think most teams who ride discs full time are pretty quick now... but if you use an axle that can be drilled out and back in quickly, you lose the possibility of riders being able to swap them between themselves in case no team or neutral service cars are nearby... and from the disc wheel changes I have seen done by Shimano neutral guys, they are not quite as fast with it as team mechanics.

dj97223

by dj97223

outnumbered wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:04 pm
Carapaz probably gained a few more seconds on Uran with that tactic, but he certainly missed out on a stage win. Make that attack with 200m to go and he might have held Pog off.
I suspect Carapaz was focused first on trying to gain time on Ving-go-go because Ving will be much better in the final TT.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

DHG01

by DHG01

I would tend to think today's Colnago on rim was to get a bit of publicity and send message to the die hard rim brake fans that Colnago has a bike for them.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Uran and Bilbao both warned for using illegal riding positions. Nicely inconsistent from the UCI once again given their rules stipulate both should be fined and disqualified.

They DQ'd Carapaz for supertuck earlier in the year without warning

maquisard

by maquisard

The penalty depends on whether the offence occurs in GT or one day race. GT carries more warning and fines for obvious reasons, the penalty is DQ in a one day race,

There is also context Carapaz occured during LBL and was stupid attempt to circumvent rules by "being clever". Uran looked like he briefly forgot what he was doing and then corrected himseld.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

maquisard wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:02 pm
The penalty depends on whether the offence occurs in GT or one day race. GT carries more warning and fines for obvious reasons, the penalty is DQ in a one day race,

There is also context Carapaz occured during LBL and was stupid attempt to circumvent rules by "being clever". Uran looked like he briefly forgot what he was doing and then corrected himseld.
Have you've just made that up to have a dig at an INEOS rider? No mention of that GT distinction in the UCI release:

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source ... ety-en.pdf

This one is even clearer, no GT distinction:

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source ... .02.21.pdf

maquisard

by maquisard

UCI Commissaires are allowed to exercise judgement in the application of such rules.

It was stated that a rider would not be ejected from a GT for a minor offence, be it an aero-tuck or inadvertent littering.

Besides, the infringement by Carapaz was blatent and continous, Uran only very briefly assumed the position and then corectly himself. Hence the diffence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com