2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

UpFromOne wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:27 pm
If the various orgs are trying to gain IOC certification as a winter sport, then how do you prevent CX from morphing into XC in the wiinter? Aside from the bike differences, harder CX courses might become just that, and if so, the Olympic attempt could become a non-starter since XC is already there.

So what will future pro CX look like then?
It's far from being XC; roots, rock gardens, etc are never going to be in CX; I'd just like to see a few more challenging courses that aren't a test of who has the most power; the skills/technical side is important, so that a skilled rider can make the difference. It's very rare we see that in current CX.....
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

BenSiskri wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:33 pm
UpFromOne wrote:
If the various orgs are trying to gain IOC certification as a winter sport, then how do you prevent CX from morphing into XC in the wiinter? Aside from the bike differences, harder CX courses might become just that, and if so, the Olympic attempt could become a non-starter since XC is already there.

It's far from being XC; roots, rock gardens, etc are never going to be in CX; I'd just like to see a few more challenging courses that aren't a test of who has the most power; the skills/technical side is important, so that a skilled rider can make the difference. It's very rare we see that in current CX.....
Skills will only make a difference between riders that are closely matched in terms of power - the course,as long as it is a reasonable CX course, won't matter. The problem with competition in mens' CX is that for the lest few years WVA and MVP are so far ahead in terms of power that they will win whether a course is technically demanding or not. Of course they both have extraordinary technical skills with MVP otherworldly, so they'd likely win even without the power advantage. When neither is present you get exactly what you are looking for, a more competitive race. And the women's racing has been fabulous for years - nothing wrong with the courses.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

BenSiskri wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:33 pm
UpFromOne wrote:

The world class guys make it look easy but even on "non technical" courses going FAST on a drop bar bike with 33mm tires requires a lot of skill. Everything is harder when you are going fast.

ms6073

by ms6073

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:30 pm
Of course they both have extraordinary technical skills with MVP otherworldly
Except in the instance of high speed drop offs while racing in the Olympics. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

stoney

by stoney

Let's see what Tom Pidcock can do on the CX course with both MvdP and Wout out. Can Tom beat the best of the rest?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

He already has beaten Mvdp once last year

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Never in doubt! (In the CX)

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Yup todays CX was a proper one, table tops, roundey carosels, stairs, and some sand. Watching Pidcock deliver today was absolutely stunning and the post interview was pretty awesome. Nothing wrong with todays CX course IMO and this is what brings me to watch CX. Racing in the snow needs lots of improvement like Mr Gib says and I wouldnt miss it if we never see it again, that and the mud slogs were running determines the winner. Kinda feel for Iserbyt as he was riding a great race and getting mugged in the end.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yeah Eli is not good in the Sand and jumps too slow

maquisard

by maquisard

I hope ineos don't ruin Pidcock by forcing him to be a GT rider too early. He is a great talent of the classics, CX and MTB and should be allowed to excel and dominate these races.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

Nice win on a course that wouldn't really play to his strengths. Adds an Elite CX World Cup win to his Elite XCO World Cup win in Nove Mesto - and joins a very small club who have won both.
And in this calendar year has won a World Tour road race, Elite XCO World Cup, Olympic MTB Gold medal, and now an Elite CX World Cup; pretty much unprecedented in mens cycling.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:28 pm
Yup todays CX was a proper one, table tops, roundey carosels, stairs, and some sand. Watching Pidcock deliver today was absolutely stunning and the post interview was pretty awesome. Nothing wrong with todays CX course IMO and this is what brings me to watch CX. Racing in the snow needs lots of improvement like Mr Gib says and I wouldnt miss it if we never see it again, that and the mud slogs were running determines the winner. Kinda feel for Iserbyt as he was riding a great race and getting mugged in the end.
I suggest you do some research on the history of cyclocross, it's varied courses (running is why cyclocross was invented, riders training in cold conditions would get off their bikes and run with them to warm up their feet) are what it has always been about. I've raced cross for almost 30 years, I never did particularly well on run heavy courses but the next week the course might favor me and that's what's so cool about it.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:28 pm
Nothing wrong with todays CX course IMO and this is what brings me to watch CX.
Yeah I am not too concerned about the history as I am with the here and now and I did race it years ago on our local scene. I am too big for running so never enjoyed that part of it and never cared for sand either but if a loop has a large portion of running because too much snow or the mud is too deep than it doesnt interest but I do agree running is a component of it all. Most these athletes are very good runners as well but I would still rather see them riding stuff that most others are running. Once again this is just my opinion.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Namur today was the most technical it's ever been. Even exposed roots & rocks, and points where riders paused.

Current XC is like enduro of old, and at this rate CX may become like vintage mtb degree of difficulty. :P

Plus I doubt CX will make it as a winter Olympic event. The snow experiment was fun, but it limits the course variety, and it's just not CX now, is it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

UpFromOne wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:03 am
Plus I doubt CX will make it as a winter Olympic event. The snow experiment was fun, but it limits the course variety, and it's just not CX now, is it?
It looked like CX to me. They pedaled some, ran some and the same racers were at the front racing for the win.