2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

micky wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 pm
We believe in miracles.
Actually, I was wondering if pre 2011 Froome was any better than the current one?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

OnTheRivet wrote:Anybody know what's going on with Hirschi? No explanation why he was pulled from so many early season races and seems to still be far from his best form?
Yes, that plus the circumstances of his team change all really weird.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Team change is easy to figure out, he now earns something like 14x the salary he had at Sunweb... plus everyone eventually wants out of DSM, he's just one the many who wanted to break their contract there because they run the team and their riders like a dictatorship even in their private life apparently. So many of their top riders have broken their contracts it's more surprising that some people still sign there, apart from riders who struggle to find teams. Jai Hindley doen't want to renew after this season and Søren Kragh Andersen wants to get out early and not stay next year.

As to his late start, didn't he had an operation during the off-season that meant he had some training down time and thus the latter season start as well?

Maddie

by Maddie

Official news is that one of his wisdom teeth and an old hip injury hampered his training

sychen

by sychen

Rohan Dennis now rumored to be heading to Jumbo next year.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

maquisard

by maquisard

I wonder if his move from Ineos is due to the arrive of Ellingsworth?

They (Ineos) seemed like a good fit for the rider.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Maybe Rohan threw another tantrum about not being taken to the Tour de France? I can't quite say why but it seems like an odd match for Jumbo-Visma though...

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Speaking of transfer rumors, one says Sagan might be heading to Total Énergies.

Arguments for: Total is said to significantly boosting their budget and they already said they would like to get a WorldTour licence... and currently they have a shitty enough team that they're probably okay with Sagan bringing 20% of Bora along, they need better riders if they want to get a WorldTour licence unless another team collapses and they take over.

Arguments against: I think I read the team still has a contract with Willier for next year but not sure how true that is, and no idea if Sagan's contract with Specialized is ending after this season and they're not renewing him now that his star's shine is fading (they did drop Contador in his similar career fade to sign young hot Sagan, they might be fine surfing the Alaphilippe + Remco marketing wave for a while).

It does seem like an odd match for him though but few teams are willing to pay him now and few teams are willing to take his big entourage.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

INEOS tour team announced. Ridiculously strong as usual
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

micky

by micky

ave wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:35 pm
micky wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 pm
We believe in miracles.
Actually, I was wondering if pre 2011 Froome was any better than the current one?
By checking rankings and results, he was much better with occasional top10 here and there.
I remember being introduced to him at Barloworld before the start of a Giro d'Italia stage and he introduced himself by "hello I'm Chris, I'm vegetarian...". :?

maquisard

by maquisard

I assume you mean his first place in the Anatomic Jock Race in 2009!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Fro ... s_timeline

His rise to GT dominance was certaintly a remarkable event - completely unexpected, given that at Vuelta 2011 he was a reserve rider and wasn't originally on team. Sky were also about to drop him due to poor performances.

sychen

by sychen

bikewithnoname wrote:INEOS tour team announced. Ridiculously strong as usual
No Dennis is the surprise... Not sure what's the issue.. Physical fitness or "something else".

He's form wasn't great at TdS but thought it was just training load.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Herb5998

by Herb5998

He’s on the hook for the Australian team for the Olympics, so that could be the reason for no TDF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Interesting that Jumbo have picked Teunissen, suggests that they may be looking for WVA to contest some sprints, seems the same strategy as last year. Did they not learn that if they want Rog to win, they'll need WVA to pull the peleton apart every other day not to be "wasting" energy on sprints. Time will tell
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde