2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spud
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:52 am

by spud

^ Danes in team pursuit all using Kinesio tape on the their shins - an obvious aero dodge. All other teams should adopt this so that UCI can abolish it.
On San Sebastian, what a win by Powless. I think the stars had to align for him to win this so I don't think this is the dawn of a new classics monster, but it may give him more patience and confidence in the future.

smartyiak
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:20 pm

by smartyiak

Andrew69 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:19 am
Miller wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:39 pm
Maybe it makes sense when actually being ridden. We'll soon find out.
Did not help in the slightest, at least in the first round

How about that crazy crash of Alex Porter!
Basebar just snapped and he went face first into the boards
Was watching it live when it happened and I still cant believe he got up and walked away from that.

Had skin taken off his nose (from bridge to tip!) and his chin.

Helmet definitely saved him from an extremely serious injury
Probably doesn't belong here...and definitely hyper-sensitive, but I'll pass this along:

Appx a month ago, I hit a pot hole and crashed. I don't remember any of it. The aftermath was my helmet was crushed (as they're supposed to). I was able to track down the person who called 911 and thank him. He told me that he saw me laying aff the side of the road "out cold," but by the time he parked, called 911 and got to me, I was starting to come around. Apparently, I stood up, grabbed my bike, and said "I'm fine...I'm just gonna ride home." He said another person arrived by that time and they both were talking to me to get me to stay (and holding my bike so I couldn't leave). He told me they just kept talking to me about anything...to distract me from leaving until the ambulance got there. In addition to a shit-ton of other injuries, I had brain bleed and a concussion.

My point is: 1) my helmet definitely saved me from serious head injury (THANK YOU POC) and 2) maybe we shouldn't let people get up and walk away...much less ride away. I don't even want to know what would have happened if those people said "Ok....have a nice ride." They may have, quite literally, saved my life.

I'm not saying it's the case for this one particular crash, but how often do we see pro cycling crashes where we're amazed that they get up and walk or ride away....only to also see how wobbly they appear on their bike.

Sorry for the distraction from the pro thread...it's just really fresh with me right now. :(

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



maquisard
Posts: 3001
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 8:51 pm
Location: France

by maquisard

The Dane's cleared the use with the UCI, so it is legal.

In reality I suspect it makes little to no difference. The idea is to use rough surface of the tape to produce laminar to turbulent flow. Turbulent flow causes air to stick to the leg for longer and is associated with reduced drag. However that would only be if the leg was stationary, which it is not. So these dimpled or rough surfaces make sense on the biceps or arms which have constant incidence to airflow, but not on the legs which move.

However I am sure some rolls of tape are more cost effective that the GB super-bike. The GB team only made it through to final four because of the Austrailian crash. A very poor performance.

User avatar
Dan Gerous
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 pm

by Dan Gerous

Andrew69 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:20 am
robbosmans wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:52 am
All that custom carbon, very confidence inspiring for the rest of the team
The Dane's are ridng the same bikes (Argon 18), not sure if they are also using the same bars though
But the danes can reinforce their stems with kinesiology tape. :thumbup: :mrgreen:

Karvalo
Posts: 2133
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

by Karvalo

robbosmans wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:52 am
All that custom carbon, very confidence inspiring for the rest of the team
Some the the news sites are speculating that the precise shape of the broken part means it was the Bastion printed titanium basebar.

User avatar
robbosmans
Moderator
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:40 pm
Location: Central Belgium
Contact:

by robbosmans

Could be, but after a closer look it seems like it was the integrated Argon stem that just snapped.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/austral ... ualifying/

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 9064
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

I felt really bad for the two normal sized guys riding behind Ganna (193cm/82kg) and Milan (196cm/85kg). The difference in draft/slipstream between position 2 and positions 3,4 =massive.

Karvalo
Posts: 2133
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

by Karvalo

robbosmans wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:04 pm
Could be, but after a closer look it seems like it was the integrated Argon stem that just snapped.
On first look it seems like the Argon base bar. After a closer look it seems like the Bastion one.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/austra ... rts-claim/

Karvalo
Posts: 2133
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:05 pm
I felt really bad for the two normal sized guys riding behind Ganna (193cm/82kg) and Milan (196cm/85kg). The difference in draft/slipstream between position 2 and positions 3,4 =massive.
You feel sorry for them riding behind two massive windbreakers? I don't get it. It's riding behind tiny people that sucks, surely :noidea:

Pierre86
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 3:53 pm

by Pierre86

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:28 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:04 pm
Could be, but after a closer look it seems like it was the integrated Argon stem that just snapped.
On first look it seems like the Argon base bar. After a closer look it seems like the Bastion one.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/austra ... rts-claim/
That article is both wrong and based on nothing, the base bar is an Argon part. The author would know that if they'd even seen the inside of something bastion have made.

What was on their website were the base bar risers that went with the printed aerobars they make.
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 9064
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:33 pm

You feel sorry for them riding behind two massive windbreakers? I don't get it. It's riding behind tiny people that sucks, surely :noidea:

You've never done a TTT. Being second wheel for as long as Ganna was pulling = no rest for someone significantly smaller. There's a reason why each time a team split in this session it was because a gap opened up to the second wheel, not the third or fourth.

Karvalo
Posts: 2133
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

by Karvalo

Pierre86 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:36 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:28 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:04 pm
Could be, but after a closer look it seems like it was the integrated Argon stem that just snapped.
On first look it seems like the Argon base bar. After a closer look it seems like the Bastion one.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/austra ... rts-claim/
That article is both wrong and based on nothing, the base bar is an Argon part. The author would know that if they'd even seen the inside of something bastion have made.

What was on their website were the base bar risers that went with the printed aerobars they make.
Fair enough!

Karvalo
Posts: 2133
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:37 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:33 pm

You feel sorry for them riding behind two massive windbreakers? I don't get it. It's riding behind tiny people that sucks, surely :noidea:

You've never done a TTT. Being second wheel for as long as Ganna was pulling = no rest for someone significantly smaller.
Explain.

IvanZg
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:10 pm

by IvanZg

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:49 pm
Pierre86 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:36 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:28 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:04 pm
Could be, but after a closer look it seems like it was the integrated Argon stem that just snapped.
On first look it seems like the Argon base bar. After a closer look it seems like the Bastion one.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/austra ... rts-claim/
That article is both wrong and based on nothing, the base bar is an Argon part. The author would know that if they'd even seen the inside of something bastion have made.

What was on their website were the base bar risers that went with the printed aerobars they make.
Fair enough!
Sure about that? full honeycomb structure would surely be too heavy
https://web.archive.org/web/20200930071 ... /base-bar/
Last edited by IvanZg on Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maquisard
Posts: 3001
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 8:51 pm
Location: France

by maquisard

"The author would know that if they'd even seen the inside of something bastion have made."

I agree, the photo of the damaged part does not look like a 3D printed Ti part. But I guess we shall find out sooner or later.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Locked