2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

shakes133

by shakes133

Shimano Road Disc are great.
Nearly all of the riders who voice complaints about Disc are riding Sram or using third-party pads and rotors (Froome)

It doesn't take a science degree to see the commonalities. It's pretty straightforward. No Shimano rider on Shimano parts is voicing any concerns.

Or maybe Lefevre just bites his tongue?

Maddie

by Maddie

maquisard wrote:
OnTheRivet wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:32 pm
I've said it before, when INEOS goes disc they will have all this bullshit figured out and most teams ineptitude to figure discs out will be pretty apparent.
Most other teams have discs figured out and aren't having issues.
It is painful to watch how disc wheel are changed by most teams. Drill machines not working (probably empty batteries), takes ages until axles are removed and wheel removed and inserted again. This has nothing to do with disc technology. It's a clear sign that teams are not practicing wheel changes. Or not enough. I realize wheel changes are stressful, many times pros shouting and generally not being helpful. But like mentioned before, I also believe that we wouldn't see these amateurish wheel changes with Ineos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

maquisard wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:44 pm
Most other teams have discs figured out and aren't having issues. Ineos are still on rims due to the limitations of the weight of their Pinarello frames.
All those Pinarello curved frame shapes are HEAVY! Such a waste of carbon fiber and epoxy.

maquisard

by maquisard

Pinarello are great looking bikes, they are also great to ride. But they will never be never be lightweight while Pinarello continues the wasteful and strange Onda curve and other unnecessary aesthetic features on the frame.

AJS914

by AJS914

Maddie wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 pm
It is painful to watch how disc wheel are changed by most teams. Drill machines not working (probably empty batteries), takes ages until axles are removed and wheel removed and inserted again.
I still don't understand why the pro peloton teams didn't standardize on some kind of quick release thruaxel.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:17 pm
Maddie wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 pm
It is painful to watch how disc wheel are changed by most teams. Drill machines not working (probably empty batteries), takes ages until axles are removed and wheel removed and inserted again.
I still don't understand why the pro peloton teams didn't standardize on some kind of quick release thruaxel.
Because very few teams are powerful enough to tell their equipment sponsors what to make. Probably only Ineos.

maquisard

by maquisard

Err, the idea of any standardized thru-axle with a quick-release is that all teams would use it, and all neutral service would also.

That goes beyond one team. Pro-teams have been dictating and feeding into equipment sponsors long before Sky and in the current peloton do... the sport did not begin with Sir Brailsford's marketting.

AJS914

by AJS914

I thought there were some products floated about when the pros were first considering disc brakes. But they seemed to go nowhere.

maquisard

by maquisard

They are heavier than a non-quick-release version...

flying

by flying

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:17 pm
Because they know disc brakes are a one night stand :lol: :lol:
^
^
^
^
^
^
^

Disclaimer...Ok before the zealots go insane I am joking of course :wink:

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

maquisard wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:56 pm
Pinarello are great looking bikes, they are also great to ride. But they will never be never be lightweight while Pinarello continues the wasteful and strange Onda curve and other unnecessary aesthetic features on the frame.
But you can spot a Pinarello from a mile away, so how wasteful are they really?

pastronef

by pastronef

Victor Koretzky (bronze medal in the XCO worlds) will ride for B&B Hotels in 2022

is this move linked to some sponsor? maybe Orbea (current XCO team for him) goes back to B&B? (they supplied Vital-Concept)

Raimundo

by Raimundo

So, this is me thinking outside of the box!! :mrgreen:

TWO (2) mechanichs for every disc brake wheel change, F1 style!!!

Lead mechanic deals with the cordless drill and thru axle.
Secondary mechanic deals with the used wheel and the replacement wheel. And pushes the rider forward after the pitless pit-stop is done.

If rider misbehaves (like Remco does sometimes), both mechanics tackle him to reason...

There, not that hard...

maquisard

by maquisard

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:16 pm
maquisard wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:56 pm
But you can spot a Pinarello from a mile away, so how wasteful are they really?
But that is my point. I have ridden a Dogma F12 and it an amazing bike to ride, great handling and the paint finish is superb. But as a world tour bike it is not performance leading in weight or features.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

maquisard wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:51 pm
Err, the idea of any standardized thru-axle with a quick-release is that all teams would use it, and all neutral service would also.
What do you mean neutral service would use them? Neutral service don't have axles, they use what's on the bike they're servicing.
That goes beyond one team. Pro-teams have been dictating and feeding into equipment sponsors long before Sky and in the current peloton do... the sport did not begin with Sir Brailsford's marketting.
It doesn't matter how many teams want it, each bike manufacturer only gets pressure from the one or maybe two WT teams they sponsor, and that's not enough.

And when it comes to equipment it doesn't matter what used to happen, it matters what happens now. The days of running whatever frame you want as long as the right name iss painted on the downtube are long gone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com