2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bikewithnoname wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:05 pm
Interesting that Jumbo have picked Teunissen, suggests that they may be looking for WVA to contest some sprints, seems the same strategy as last year. Did they not learn that if they want Rog to win, they'll need WVA to pull the peleton apart every other day not to be "wasting" energy on sprints. Time will tell
It's not as simple as that. Roglic put in a poor final TT because he was tired. If they'd made the race harder every day would he have been less tired or more tired? When you make a race hard you make it hard for everyone, including your own leader. It only helps if he's strong enough to endure it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Maybe, but if WVA had been pulling for Rog on the windy stage 7 instead of looking at a victory, Pog would have been minutes away.

When you split targets you often lose out on both
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

ooo

by ooo

'

flying

by flying

About last year I think the only real mistake Jumbo made was underestimating Pogacar

When they gaped him on the split windy day they should never have let him regain that time
He should have always been watched as a possible favorite.

bilwit

by bilwit

People always want to hindsight cherry pick every little thing about Jumbo's tactics or Roglic's preparation but the reality is that Pogacar put up an outrageous, out of this world, All Time performance in that final TT and there's nothing anyone could have done about that, even he was as shocked as everyone else.

micky

by micky

⬆ what he said.

LouisN

by LouisN

It will be an interesting first week:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mark-c ... 75x1ZNqAVU

Louis :)

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Cav is in for the Tour, I guess he suddenly got strong enough and got a big fat check over the weekend!

guyc

by guyc

Bennett hasn't recovered from his knee injury. No point taking an injured rider, especially one who's leaving this season.

Bigger shock is no Cavagna who's clearly flying right now.

spud

by spud

I was a little sceptical about Bennett's ride in the tour - I'm a fan, and I think he's a great rider. But having an injury this close to the tour, with no real opportunity to test it in race conditions prior to the tour, makes it unrealistic.

flying

by flying

bilwit wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:06 am
People always want to hindsight cherry pick every little thing about Jumbo's tactics or Roglic's preparation but the reality is that Pogacar put up an outrageous, out of this world, All Time performance in that final TT and there's nothing anyone could have done about that, even he was as shocked as everyone else.

There was a story about Allan Peiper in this months Peloton

The part that really was interesting was his talking about that final TT
I guess he foresaw that possibility & they targeted that

Will attach the page for you folks to read if you like

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Thanks for posting that.

ave

by ave

It's great stuff, but doesn't tell us HOW he did that. This year Pogacar came 3rd in the TT nationals. Not minutes faster than everybody else, but slower than two of his compatriots.

ooo

by ooo

it was special tt stage, and Pogacar used this special 12-speed 14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-27-29 cassette to win it
'

ave

by ave

That must be it! :)

Also, WTF with Ganna losing by 0:53? Seems impossible to get that much slower that fast. (halfway between the Giro and the Olympics)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com