2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I also found the Elimination race in this series is difficult to tell who is crossing the line last from the shots they are showing through GCN when normally its not a problem to tell with the World cup races.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Story is a month old but Sylvan Adams arranged and financed the rescue of the Afghan women's national cycling team, as well as other refugees including female cops, female judges, etc. I can only assume that the Taliban had plans to kill them all. For a sport that seems to get more than it's share of self inflicted back eye's, this is a better sort of headline.

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/how- ... -cyclists/
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Wow thats a great story and I cant believe I havent come across it before now. Bonus is that Adams is also Canadian bringing a few of the Can pros across to the team.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Great story, but cyclingtips also published another article since then accusing the head of the afghan cycling federation using this opportunity to fly out relatives and other people which aren't cyclists.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/11/serious ... acuations/

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

eins4eins wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:49 am
Great story, but cyclingtips also published another article since then accusing the head of the afghan cycling federation using this opportunity to fly out relatives and other people which aren't cyclists.

Very little in that part of the world will ever be done with integrity. It is at times nothing more than a large criminal enterprise. In the end, better some than none. Interesting that the UCI is tied more closely to the part that stinks.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:41 pm
eins4eins wrote:

Very little in that part of the world will ever be done with integrity. It is at times nothing more than a large criminal enterprise.
As opposed to respectable European institutions like FIFA and the city of London.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

The Velonews article did say that other ppl aside from cyclist were rescued and I would imagine it was pandemonium while the rescue was taking place so you know anyone witnessing this event who would also like a free ride out of Taliban town.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:27 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
eins4eins wrote:

Very little in that part of the world will ever be done with integrity. It is at times nothing more than a large criminal enterprise.
As opposed to respectable European institutions like FIFA and the city of London.
Comparing to FIFA and London? I assume you are being humourous because it's not even close. What goes on in that part of Asia is next level - institutionalized mayhem from the top to bottom of society. The Afghan cycling guy who threw his buddies a bone is a minor issue. A blip in a large scale human tragedy that has played out over centuries if not longer. Hundreds of thousands more will die needlessly with nothing to stop it. Adams rescuing a few is admirable, but sadly a tiny drop in a very grim bucket. Perhaps some of those he rescued will go on to do great things.

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:06 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
eins4eins wrote:

Comparing to FIFA and London? I assume you are being humourous because it's not even close. What goes on in that part of Asia is next level - institutionalized mayhem from the top to bottom of society. The Afghan cycling guy who threw his buddies a bone is a minor issue. A blip in a large scale human tragedy that has played out over centuries if not longer. Hundreds of thousands more will die needlessly with nothing to stop it. Adams rescuing a few is admirable, but sadly a tiny drop in a very grim bucket. Perhaps some of those he rescued will go on to do great things.
I think we can drop this subject as it seems to go towards politics. It now has very little to do with cycling.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

misteryellow wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:28 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:06 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:

I think we can drop this subject as it seems to go towards politics. It now has very little to do with cycling.
And so you decide to add to it? Nice. Cycling will never escape politics. Would be nice but it doesn't work that way. Look at pro tennis, WTA, China, Peng. Doesn't take much for a little wrinkle far away to make it highly relevant.

Wout and Pidcock to race on Saturday but Wout is sick and may not start. Can't wait to see how these guys fair against Iserbyt and Aerts. Starting from back of the grid I assume. Will be very interesting.
https://www.velonews.com/news/cyclocros ... -gets-ill/

ducman

by ducman

Makes me think of an alien lizard.

flying

by flying

Van Aert obliterates the field in his first cyclocross race of the season

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/12/van-aer ... he-season/

stoney

by stoney

I feel so lucky to live in an era to see Wout return from the Road and take his Cyclocross seriously. He put on a devastating display today. He's not like former champions, Lars Boom and Stybar, who were just going through the motions for start money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

^ honestly think he so strong that any race he shows up to, he has a good shot at winning.