2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

eins4eins

by eins4eins

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:16 pm
jever98 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:48 pm
Errrr.... before judging

Errrrrrrrr ...... how is this a story in Cyclingnews when it should be an employer-employee private communication?

Why do you care so much to defend EF? They look dumb. It should have been a phone call to the riders from JV and no more than that.
Pictures show up of riders riding wrong bike, media notices, media smells a good headline, media asks team for explanation, team has to answer because media will write a story anyway to stir the pot.
EF or JV surely would have liked to keep it internal, but then had no other chance but give a statement. Can't see how this is EF's fault.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

eins4eins wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:15 am
AJS914 wrote:
jever98 wrote:
Errrr.... before judging

Errrrrrrrr ...... how is this a story in Cyclingnews when it should be an employer-employee private communication?

Why do you care so much to defend EF? They look dumb. It should have been a phone call to the riders from JV and no more than that.
Pictures show up of riders riding wrong bike, media notices, media smells a good headline, media asks team for explanation, team has to answer because media will write a story anyway to stir the pot.
EF or JV surely would have liked to keep it internal, but then had no other chance but give a statement. Can't see how this is EF's fault.
That's probably exactly what happened.

maquisard

by maquisard

It is the fault of EF because they did not have to terminate the riders contract immediately.

A simple statement like...

"EF have spoken to the rider in question and reminded them of their contractual responsibilities to their current sponsors"

Would have made it clear that they were displeased and have rectified the situation. It also gives the journalists nowhere to go with a story.

Instead they terminated the rider's contract which is another news story.

Maddie

by Maddie

You may think that EF overreacted, I still don't. It is now a clear reminder for the pros that they should respect their contracts, their partnerships and sponsoring in the public until the end, even though racing season is over. And that it can have a financial impact if they are not careful enough. I'd be surprised to see a similar thing happening this year.

maquisard

by maquisard

The brands of EF and Cannondale were more damaged by the event and story than the brand of Higuita. This would have been true even if Higuita had lost two months salary.

EF and Cannondale look like fools, Cannondale in particular.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Maddie wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:01 pm
You may think that EF overreacted, I still don't. It is now a clear reminder for the pros that they should respect their contracts, their partnerships and sponsoring in the public until the end, even though racing season is over. And that it can have a financial impact if they are not careful enough. I'd be surprised to see a similar thing happening this year.
Keep in mind that riders have been doing this for ages now in order to get accustomed to new gear and kit before racing with their new teams. In fact, I'd be willing to be that there are a few new EF signings riding around on Cannondales now rather than the bikes their current teams actually use.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this arrangement is understood by all teams and they all do their best not to allow images of such practices to be released and upset other teams, though I do recall many instances where new team riders were shown riding their new team bikes in their old team clothing. In this instance, I would imagine that Higuita didn't expect to be exposed to any media and was caught out.

As for Lawson Craddock, who publicised the bike of his new team on his own instagram page... well, that's just stupid but I don't think it warrants anything like the termination of a contract.

AJS914

by AJS914

Craddock was at a Mellow Johnny's fun ride not some super high profile event. Sure, he shouldn't have posted a pic on Instagram. I saw the pic though and it wasn't a "look at my new bike pic". It was just him riding along with other riders.

Once again, it should have been EF calling/texting him and telling him to take it down.

I also read some speculation that maybe he doesn't even have the old bike. If he doesn't, then is really not allowed to post cycling pics on Instagram for 2 months? I guess these details should be spelled out in the contract.

MiSzA (PL)

by MiSzA (PL)

Why most assume that it is only on one side to take additional steps?
Are riders handicaped in some way? Are they not aware of the contracts and obligations? C'mon!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:29 pm

I also read some speculation that maybe he doesn't even have the old bike. If he doesn't, then is really not allowed to post cycling pics on Instagram for 2 months? I guess these details should be spelled out in the contract.
Is not being able to 'gram for 2 months the end of the world?

jever98

by jever98

AJS914 wrote:
jever98 wrote:
Errrr.... before judging

I don't care to defend EF. It's simply that you are spinning the story to make the team out to be the bad guys, when you don't have all the information on what went down. There a plenty of scenarios in which what EF did was perfectly reasonable and necessary.
----
No longer in the industry

stoney

by stoney

The riders broke the rules of their contract. They should have been smarter because actions have consequences in real life.

AJS914

by AJS914

stoney wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:07 pm
The riders broke the rules of their contract. They should have been smarter because actions have consequences in real life.
We don't know the rules of their contract. We don't even know if these riders already had to return their EF bikes and have no other bikes to ride.

Whatever the contract says, losing two months salary for a pic or video appearing on the internet seems like quite a harsh punishment.

This being leaked to cycling news is the only problem. The fact that EF quickly back pedaled on the salary cut tells me that they might not have even been able to do that per language of the contract. If they had followed through, they certainly would have been legal wrangling.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:46 pm

As for Lawson Craddock, who publicised the bike of his new team on his own instagram page... well, that's just stupid but I don't think it warrants anything like the termination of a contract.

Giant back in the World Tour with BikeExchange?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:49 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:

Yup. That's been the word for some time now. Bianchi didn't last long with the team.

This hookup with Giant is also likely to be behind the rumored move of Dumoulin to BE.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:38 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:49 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:

Yup. That's been the word for some time now. Bianchi didn't last long with the team.

This hookup with Giant is also likely to be behind the rumored move of Dumoulin to BE.
Somebody PLEASE get Bike Exchange a proper designer to do their kit next year, I'm positive that kit was the cause of the shit team performance this year.