2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Karvalo

by Karvalo

IvanZg wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:00 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:49 pm
Pierre86 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:36 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:28 pm

On first look it seems like the Argon base bar. After a closer look it seems like the Bastion one.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/austra ... rts-claim/
That article is both wrong and based on nothing, the base bar is an Argon part. The author would know that if they'd even seen the inside of something bastion have made.

What was on their website were the base bar risers that went with the printed aerobars they make.
Fair enough!
Sure about that? full honeycomb structure would surely be too heavy
https://web.archive.org/web/20200930071 ... /base-bar/
I am not sure. However we know the Hope track bike has 3D printed titanium bars and fork top sections and the GB team certainly keeps an eye on weight.

maquisard

by maquisard

3D printed Ti has a very characteristic structure inside due to the scafold used for printing. You can see it in this artlcle.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/11/bastion ... -campaign/

I think this is why Pierre86 says this is not a Bastion 3D printed part and I would think the same also.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

sychen wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:16 pm
Friggen called it.. Knew that pos would get a slap on the wrist for his blatant racism.

https://www.radsport-news.com/sport/spo ... 126198.htm

Looks like where ever he is now it's very difficult to find a device that can transmit voice in real time.. Or ones that does live pictures to offer an personal apology to the two Olympic athletes he insulted.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
BDR has become such a sad travesty. I for one won't be renewing my license after the season ends.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

maquisard wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:29 pm
3D printed Ti has a very characteristic structure inside due to the scafold used for printing. You can see it in this artlcle.
Yep, totally get that. The broken bit is clearly carbon, my bad. Just saying that printed ti isn't too heavy for bars because it is being used for bars on other bikes.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:50 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:37 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:33 pm

You feel sorry for them riding behind two massive windbreakers? I don't get it. It's riding behind tiny people that sucks, surely :noidea:

You've never done a TTT. Being second wheel for as long as Ganna was pulling = no rest for someone significantly smaller.
Explain.
Becasue Ganna is putting out so much power that even being in his slipstream isnt enough to offset the difference in power between him and 2nd wheel

Andrew69

by Andrew69

smartyiak wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:32 pm
Andrew69 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:19 am
Miller wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:39 pm
Maybe it makes sense when actually being ridden. We'll soon find out.
Did not help in the slightest, at least in the first round

How about that crazy crash of Alex Porter!
Basebar just snapped and he went face first into the boards
Was watching it live when it happened and I still cant believe he got up and walked away from that.

Had skin taken off his nose (from bridge to tip!) and his chin.

Helmet definitely saved him from an extremely serious injury
Probably doesn't belong here...and definitely hyper-sensitive, but I'll pass this along:

Appx a month ago, I hit a pot hole and crashed. I don't remember any of it. The aftermath was my helmet was crushed (as they're supposed to). I was able to track down the person who called 911 and thank him. He told me that he saw me laying aff the side of the road "out cold," but by the time he parked, called 911 and got to me, I was starting to come around. Apparently, I stood up, grabbed my bike, and said "I'm fine...I'm just gonna ride home." He said another person arrived by that time and they both were talking to me to get me to stay (and holding my bike so I couldn't leave). He told me they just kept talking to me about anything...to distract me from leaving until the ambulance got there. In addition to a shit-ton of other injuries, I had brain bleed and a concussion.

My point is: 1) my helmet definitely saved me from serious head injury (THANK YOU POC) and 2) maybe we shouldn't let people get up and walk away...much less ride away. I don't even want to know what would have happened if those people said "Ok....have a nice ride." They may have, quite literally, saved my life.

I'm not saying it's the case for this one particular crash, but how often do we see pro cycling crashes where we're amazed that they get up and walk or ride away....only to also see how wobbly they appear on their bike.

Sorry for the distraction from the pro thread...it's just really fresh with me right now. :(
First of all, hope you are OK and have no lasting injuries.

I was watching the Oly teams pursuit live when this all happened.
Alex did get up quickly and was like "WTF just happened?"
I did see the team doctor giving him a test looking for concussion before they went back out on the track, but yes, I did have the same thoughts if he should really be back out there after I watched him walking off the track and they showed a close up of his face and it was obvious he hit the track face first and the skin he had lost from his nose and chin

Andrew69

by Andrew69

maquisard wrote:

I think this is why Pierre86 says this is not a Bastion 3D printed part and I would think the same also.
Except that is appears to be a Bastion 3D printed part after all...
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/products/ ... rce-claims

spud

by spud

Andrew69 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:16 pm
Karvalo wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Karvalo wrote:

You feel sorry for them riding behind two massive windbreakers? I don't get it. It's riding behind tiny people that sucks, surely :noidea:

You've never done a TTT. Being second wheel for as long as Ganna was pulling = no rest for someone significantly smaller.
Explain.
Becasue Ganna is putting out so much power that even being in his slipstream isnt enough to offset the difference in power between him and 2nd wheel
Once at Superweek, I was single file behind a 6'6" dude who was reputed to have the highest power output of anyone ever tested at U Texas. His saddle was so high that even though I'm over 6', I felt like my upper body was below his ass, and consequently, it didn't feel like a good draft. Might have also been the fact that we were going 35+mph at the time. Can imagine the same effect with Ganna.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Being second wheel in a paceline isn’t nearly as nice as being third or fourth…especially when the guy in front is doing 90s turns instead of 30s.

maquisard

by maquisard

Andrew69 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:34 pm
maquisard wrote:

Except that is appears to be a Bastion 3D printed part after all...
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/products/ ... rce-claims
The article is wrong - it is a composite part and not 3D printed

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Andrew69 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:16 pm
Karvalo wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Karvalo wrote:
Explain.
If one guy is going too fast for the rest of the team it's an error in pacing and turn lengths, not a natural consequence of him being too tall. And if one guy is going too fast, it's still better for the others if he's tall rather than than short.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:37 am

If one guy is going too fast for the rest of the team it's an error in pacing and turn lengths, not a natural consequence of him being too tall. And if one guy is going too fast, it's still better for the others if he's tall rather than than short.

It's a weird situation with disproportionate power output. You have to experience it to really believe it. 2nd wheel has a noticeably smaller draft benefit than 3rd wheel. 3rd wheel and 4th wheel are much closer. So whoever was behind Ganna had to sit 3rd wheel on Milan's massive turn *and* the start of Ganna's. He obviously couldn't handle it and peeled off. I've done the same sitting behind our U23 who has something like a 350w FTP compared to my 295w. He'd pull off and I would pull off at the exact same time. It was still beneficial because I was a buffer to the next rider. He would do 90s pulls and I would do 0s-15s pulls after him even though I was the second highest w/kg in the group.

But don't take my word for it if you're skeptical.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

spud wrote: Once at Superweek, I was single file behind a 6'6" dude who was reputed to have the highest power output of anyone ever tested at U Texas. His saddle was so high that even though I'm over 6', I felt like my upper body was below his ass, and consequently, it didn't feel like a good draft. Might have also been the fact that we were going 35+mph at the time. Can imagine the same effect with Ganna.
2008ish?

Was this guy a former rower that was later busted for doping?

If so, I was likely in that race, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

maquisard wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 pm

The article is wrong - it is a composite part and not 3D printed

I see evidence of the lattice in the closeups and also have doubts that 1) a composite basebar would have such thin walls plus 2) break so cleanly without splintering or leaving folds/flaps.

Plus if the basebar is made in two parts, then the internal lattice can be removed after printing.

As well all their other parts for the AU track team are 3D printed titanium, such as the cranks, madison / sprint bars and stems. Also AFAIK, Bastion’s carbon is all filament-wound and basic tube shapes (frame tubes, fork legs, etc.) the basebar is pretty intricately shaped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com