2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Leviathan

by Leviathan

maquisard wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:13 am
.... as was pioneered by Team Sky/British Cycling during their era of dominance on road and track.
...aaaand, there it is. Took him a LONG time this time to wait until scratching that itch. :D

Wookski

by Wookski

Leviathan wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:50 pm
maquisard wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:13 am
.... as was pioneered by Team Sky/British Cycling during their era of dominance on road and track.
...aaaand, there it is. Took him a LONG time this time to wait until scratching that itch. :D
He loves a scratch although this one was almost subtle :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris- ... ays-adams/

- When a team owner makes comments like this in the press you can see that things are maybe not so good between Adams and Froome.

AJS914

by AJS914

Reading the article, I think you are over-interpreting any animosity between them. Also, this line in the article was not a quote:

"if Froome wanted to ride a rim brake bike he only needed to ask."

I don't trust cycling journalism to not stir the pot.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Froome to push their rim brake frames so that people still know they make them.

maquisard

by maquisard

And they got Froome to talk down the disc brakes early in the year to promote their rim brake bikes as well? :noidea:

Pretty sure the new Ostro is disc only, the older O2 bikes have rim brake models.

micky

by micky

To be fair it looks like it was cyclingnews to bring back the subject to Adams.

AJS914

by AJS914

maquisard wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 pm
And they got Froome to talk down the disc brakes early in the year to promote their rim brake bikes as well? :noidea:

Pretty sure the new Ostro is disc only, the older O2 bikes have rim brake models.

Maybe manufactuers like Factor care way less about this debate than people on the internet? You are presuming there is some friction with the team/sponsor because Froome is making videos about rim brake bikes. There could be exactly zero animosity there. And it could all be a calculated effort to generate clicks. See how we are all talking about Froome and Factor bikes right now?

The conclusion from all this will probably be that Froome rides disc brakes in the Tour and then we all talk about that!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Nothing in that article suggests any sort of problem between the two. It sounds more like Adams saying that he'd accomodate Froome if Froome requested rim brakes, but he thinks that won't be necessary as Froome is riding disc - nothing more than that reallyy. On the contrary I find Adams' comments are quite out of the ordinary in support of a rider relative to what you would expect in such a situation. And I believe he has made a mistake in being so accomodating. Those that know Adams will tell you he is very much a "players coach". He is first and formost a cycling enthusiast and a huge fan of the sport, and in this case he seems a bit naive. I would tell Froome if he asked for rim to just ride disc and get over it. I wouldn't have the mechanics adding a whole new range of wheels, frames, etc. to complicate what is already a massive undertaking at a grand tour.
maquisard wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 pm
Nope, I have a 2021 O2 VAM with rim brakes. :thumbup: But I don't think it will be too long until Factor goes all disc.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:03 pm
Let him ride rimbrakes. He's not gonna win Tdf anyways
That's the thing, he's not going to win why the added hassle of rim brakes. Extra wheels, doesn't promote the current Factor tech (rim brakes are done on production bikes by next year), in fact if he rode a rim brake bike it would be suspicious, like his rim brake wheels are those weird special magnetic assist wheels.

ichobi

by ichobi

Factor is selling as many Ostro as they could make. I am sure they are not losing sleep over a shoddy attempt to stir the pot from CN. That whole article is a bit silly.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

Dan Gerous wrote:
ave wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:07 pm
It's great stuff, but doesn't tell us HOW he did that. This year Pogacar came 3rd in the TT nationals. Not minutes faster than everybody else, but slower than two of his compatriots.

Also, WTF with Ganna losing by 0:53? Seems impossible to get that much slower that fast. (halfway between the Giro and the Olympics)
Well, he finished 5th at nationals on the road which is even worse so I would not use this year's nationals to judge what he could do at the Tour last year or in general but it does seem weird to be suddenly not too good and makes it hard to predict what he will do this Tour. Was he back from altitude this past week? Probably not as he just raced and won Tour of Slovenia. Was he tired from a last hard training block? Taking it easy to be fresher at the Tour? Illness? Did he extract blood for the Tour just before? (UAE team management are far from angels, Matxin has a very shady past)....
That must be close to the understatement of the year. Compared to Mauro Gianetti is even Vino a choir boy. Let's not forget he almost died experimenting with drugs. Also this is what Heulot said about him when working for saunier duval:
"Doping is so ingrained in certain managers, like GIanetti, that they can’t conceive of cycling any other way"

It's interesting how little scepticism his team received compared to others.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Alfus

by Alfus

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:22 pm
Nope, I have a 2021 O2 VAM with rim brakes. :thumbup: But I don't think it will be too long until Factor goes all disc.
From Factor's web:

Disc only / electronic shifting only

https://factorbikes.com/product/factor- ... -frameset/

:noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

pastronef

by pastronef

Pinarello presents the new Dogma 2014. all disc in the launch video and in the marketing campaign

INEOS GETS THE RIM BRAKES VERSION

just priceless

as I read on twitter, disc brakes for road bikes are the biggest scam ever put on by bike companies

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

pastronef wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:08 pm
Pinarello presents the new Dogma 2014. all disc in the launch video and in the marketing campaign

INEOS GETS THE RIM BRAKES VERSION

just priceless

as I read on twitter, disc brakes for road bikes are the biggest scam ever put on by bike companies
If twitter says so. :roll:
And Covid-19 and its vaccines combined with 5G were all created by the bike industry to control people and make them like discs brakes? :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com