2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spud

by spud

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:47 pm
micky wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:11 pm
Davide Cassani, after the crash of Sivakov, was reporting that he crashed at Tour of the Alps, 2 days ago at the start of the stage in the neutral zone and then today.
Sometimes it seems some riders are more prone to crash (or bad luck, you decide).
As one my friend said, Sivakov is the new Porte.

Today final circuit was a total mess and it's really upset to see Dombrowski and Landa crash.
A lot of people assume bad luck, it is a big factor but not the only one.

Many times riders who crash often and regularly are more nervous and tense. So when something happens, they can over brake, over steer and not react as well as calmer individuals, and the more they crash, the more nervous and tense they can become.

There are also skills, they might all be pros who spend more or less the same amount of hours on bikes for years, some are just not as good bike handlers.

Some also tend to be poorly positionned in the peloton more than others.
Look at a guy like Cancellara. As I recall, he only had 1 or 2 bad crashes in his career. Crashes are a complex mix of variables, and everyone goes down at some point. But the rider him/herself is the most important variable.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Bike Exchange team car ramming Pieter Serry from behind! :shock:
https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/ ... 80096?s=20

Alex Howes' take: "With the new rules, riders are no longer allowed to drop jackets for the team car to collect. Rider gave Com car a jacket and the bike exchange was collecting that jacket. Definitely a WTF situation but a product of the new UCI rules."

Thankfully, Serry is okay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Dan Gerous wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:01 pm
Definitely a WTF situation but a product of the new UCI rules.
Yeah right it's the UCI's fault (!). Driver keep your eyes on the friggin' road. He should be chucked off the race.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Miller wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:28 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
Yeah right it's the UCI's fault (!). Driver keep your eyes on the friggin' road. He should be chucked off the race.
I agree, that's quite a stretch from Howes (his quote, not mine).

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Giving the jacket back to the team after the race is to hard it seems

Miller

by Miller

Glad to see Gino Mader getting the win in front of oncoming GC guys. Yeah Primoz, all your base are belong to us!

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Interesting that Ineos were massed at the front as usual on the final climb but their strength in depth looked quite illusory. So strange to see Narvaez(?) pulling for around a km with a flat back tyre until being swamped by the group and then none of his teammates really being able to take over until Martinez and Bernal pulled a 1-2 attack.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Miller wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:
I expect to see that sort of lazy inattentive driving on my commute (sadly), not in a race. Assume the driver has been kicked off the race?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Karvalo wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:09 pm
So strange to see Narvaez(?) pulling for around a km with a flat back tyre.
I thought it was Castroviejo but, yes, very strange how long he rode on the front with a completely flat tire. He knew if he stopped to get it fixed it would be over for him so probably thought he might as well go as long as he can anyway.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

bikewithnoname wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:11 pm
Miller wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:
I expect to see that sort of lazy inattentive driving on my commute (sadly), not in a race. Assume the driver has been kicked off the race?
It always surprises me that the DS is allowed to drive the car; handing out food/drinks, clothes, talking on the radio, watching the TV screen. It should be banned. The driver, just drives, nothing else. The DS sits in the passenger seat......
Being a good driver requites full concentration on the road ahead......not doing other things.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Dumoulin coming back !
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I agree that the drivers should just drive cause there is so much going on in the cars simultaneously, radios, TV , bottle hand ups, mechs in and out the window and then the fact that you have to be an excellent driver to begin with. When they are descending you frequently hear tires squeeling and you know their is some good forces going through the steering wheel.
One of the commentators from a few races ago suggested right hand drive cars so the passenger could service the riders more efficiently but not sure that would work very well.
Amazing to see Castroviejo pulling the group up the mountain with a flat. Saw him look over at Moscan and say something, maybe it was, I have a flat and I wont last long.

flying

by flying

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:19 pm
Dumoulin coming back !
Glad to hear that :thumbup:

I was afraid he was going full Kittel :wink:

sychen

by sychen

Karvalo wrote:Interesting that Ineos were massed at the front as usual on the final climb but their strength in depth looked quite illusory. So strange to see Narvaez(?) pulling for around a km with a flat back tyre until being swamped by the group and then none of his teammates really being able to take over until Martinez and Bernal pulled a 1-2 attack.
They spent alot of ammo trying to break the peloton in the crosswind and the lead-up to the climb. At one point was only Ineos in their own echelon and almost no one near them... Fun to see on narrow mountain roads.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

grover

by grover

Um, on the video it is the passenger taking the jacket. The driver had no excuse not to be watching the road. But no doubt was leant over trying to have a chat to the Cofidis car too, having a bit of FOMO. Long and boring drive if they just drive. Not saying they shouldn't just drive, but it's hard to ensure it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com