Is weightweenies becoming more elitist?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Comment.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

No. We let lower echelon cyclists such as yourself with inferior equipment on the forum.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

end of thread :)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

synchronicity

by synchronicity

HammerTime2 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:58 am
No. We let lower echelon cyclists such as yourself with inferior equipment on the forum.
:lol: :lol:
Touché! :beerchug:

Raimundo

by Raimundo

You clearly haven't set roleur.cc as you home page...

hlvd

by hlvd

The Bike Radar forum's pure poison, It's why I started coming here.

I can only dream of owning the beautiful bikes I see on this forum, plus, everyone's civilised and polite.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Elitist? That's a good thing right? Elitist is better isn't it? Smarter, more sophisticated, more sucessful, more knowledgable, educated, etc. Never understood why people object to elites. If I am not one, I aspire to be one. :P

I don't know if weightweenies is becoming more elitist, but I hope so. It's often about the bleeding edge of everything bike. Not going to get that talking about bikes purchased at Costco, etc.

I often encounter bike owners on the road or even on forums who are almost apologetic for their new $10 - $15,000 bikes, which is nonsense. You like nice bikes? you can afford it? Knock yourself out. Others are jealous? That's on them. At the end of the day we're talking bikes. You want to get "elitist", how about houses, collector automobiles, and ex-wives. Now those are expensive!
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

basilic

by basilic

OP, considering the depth of your analysis and the relevance of your arguments, I'd say you answered your own question

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:49 am
Elitist? That's a good thing right? Elitist is better isn't it? Smarter, more sophisticated, more sucessful, more knowledgable, educated, etc. Never understood why people object to elites. If I am not one, I aspire to be one. :P

I don't know if weightweenies is becoming more elitist, but I hope so. It's often about the bleeding edge of everything bike. Not going to get that talking about bikes purchased at Costco, etc.

I often encounter bike owners on the road or even on forums who are almost apologetic for their new $10 - $15,000 bikes, which is nonsense. You like nice bikes? you can afford it? Knock yourself out. Others are jealous? That's on them. At the end of the day we're talking bikes.
Fair enough.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Where else can one get lost in all that is unobtainable by mere mortals like myself....My favorite place.... :thumbup:

romanmoser

by romanmoser

nothing wrong with true elitisim at small dose
rather that than the opposite

ps : you can be cheap and elitiste

jeffy

by jeffy

romanmoser wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:23 pm

ps : you can be cheap and elitiste
champagne tastes, lemonade wages.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:49 am

I often encounter bike owners on the road or even on forums who are almost apologetic for their new $10 - $15,000 bikes, which is nonsense. You like nice bikes? you can afford it? Knock yourself out. Others are jealous? That's on them. At the end of the day we're talking bikes. You want to get "elitist", how about houses, collector automobiles, and ex-wives. Now those are expensive!
Thanks for putting in words that I would never have done so well.

It's frustrating to read about the new Aethos and people complain that they cost too much. Those people need to crawl under a rock. Although I cannot afford/justify spending $15k on a bike, I like that companies do push the envelope and that there are people that can buy them.

Long live Elitists and the toys they buy.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Not sure one could call being a WW "elitist."

The fact remains that the lightest/best stuff is often very expensive.
But we don't obtain it /use it because it's expensive.

What has occurred over the years is less home modding to parts, and just using them off-the-shelf.
In its place has been fancier parts, but in many cases just as light.
Ex: who sands their alloy stems anymore to shave weight, when Darimo, MCFK, et al. make amazing parts?

Except for the odd 110g rear mech, or shifters with material removed, or wheels in the low 700g range.
Not many folks seem to have the time and inclination anymore for such labor-intensive projects.
It's difficult enough these days to just build a bike with parts that actually fit!

And last but not least, we've been brainwashed about "aero" when it makes no difference to the vast majority of us.
Hence what goes around, comes around, like the Aethos.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

It has, sadly, become a shibboleth for conspicuous consumption.. As indeed has most road cycling, at here...

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com