Very uncool I know: bicycle mirrors?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

beanbiken

by beanbiken

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:26 am
JMeinholdt wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:38 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:56 pm
Garmin radar and here are a couple https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.cycling ... 468095/amp
+1 for the Varia Radar. Will never ride without one on open roads again.
+1
+99.....
I have an Andrew (son) which is even better than the Varia but for when I ride alone it’s more important than my Wahoo. I know it doesn’t tell you you are in danger but it prepares you so that you can move across or at least continue to hold your line. A solid investment that has made riding for me (predominantly rural roads) much more enjoyable with less stress and isn’t that why we ride after all?
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

But what exactly does it do?
What info does it provide?
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

AJS914

by AJS914

+1000 for the Varia - It's like having eyes in the back of your head. And you don't have to turn your neck every time.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I have been using these for about 10 years now and they are cheap easy to install and most people dont know you have them at all. I adjust them according and then apply the matching bar tape over them a little so they dont stand out so much. With all the crazy drivers around me I would not leave home without one.....

https://www.sprintech.eu/en/

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I've gone with sunglasses made with a mirror in the bottom left corner (or right if you are in the UK). The brand is trieye. They work beautifully. Available at
www.trieye.com The price has dropped about $30 in the last year to $89 in the US.
Made in the Netherlands. Get the REVO model. The newer style is too small for cycling in my estimation.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

synchronicity wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:38 pm
But what exactly does it do?
What info does it provide?
As per AJS914 “eyes in the back of your head” you know something is approaching so you can either eyeball he/she or concentrate on the road ahead. Would not be without it personally and I am not a Garmin fan boy
BB

Coffee & carbon

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I know it's a radar based, but how does the varia alert you that there is something approaching from behind?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

synchronicity wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:30 am
I know it's a radar based, but how does the varia alert you that there is something approaching from behind?
display on your garmin or wahoo and audible beep
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Thanks.
Audible beep... doesn't that get annoying if there are a lot of cars? :-/
I don't have a garmin/wahoo head unit.

Does this model also detect multiple cars and show the distance (graphically) as they approach? :?

I'll have a look into it. Unfortunately I'm still on android 4.2 or something, so that won't work with my smartphone. :(
I'd need to get some kind of head unit or a newer phone or something.

hkgmatt

by hkgmatt

Yes it shows multiple cars, their relative distance and their approaching speed range. You will need either a Garmin or Wahoo bike computer or a designated Garmin Varia head unit.

I'm not using mine for city driving on multiple lane roads but otherwise it's a fantastically useful device.

fxx

by fxx

I ride with Radar and wrist mirror, it is super stable and has a much larger image than the helmet mirrors, you can see different angles by moving your wrist, on less travelled roads it picks up traffic further than the Garmin. Image

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

micky

by micky

Lately in Italy, as in many other cities around the world, there's a load of new people on bike paths that normally you would never see.
Normally they occupy the whole space as they have no idea there's bikes that can go faster than them or simply don't care of others (sadly).
They never check behind, even the ones using mirrors on their handlebars; not once have they seen me arriving or checked the mirrors.
I'd imagine it's even difficult to focus on a small mirror when cycling involve a little movement of your handlebar when you're moving along.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

There is only one beep warning. Yes, it can be annoying but it can be turned off in the option screen.

I've never ridden with a mirror but I would find it difficult to adjust the mirror to see what is behind you. The best I guess would be to put one on your glasses. On the handle bar would require you to steer to get the angle you want. Sounds sketchy to me.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Okay, thanks for the info.

True, possibly a bit sketchy.
Nevertheless I will try several things. I'm a bit anti-technology (or rather anti electronic) but I can see the benefit of the varia system. But it means looking at all the computer options... it's all a bit overwhelming really, the choices/options.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

synchronicity wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:00 am
Okay, thanks for the info.

True, possibly a bit sketchy.
Nevertheless I will try several things. I'm a bit anti-technology (or rather anti electronic) but I can see the benefit of the varia system. But it means looking at all the computer options... it's all a bit overwhelming really, the choices/options.
Understand where you are coming from. As above there is a dedicated head unit that you can purchase as part of a Varia kit if you don’t want to fuss yourself with a Garmin or Wahoo computer. If you then decide later to add a G or W the Varia will intergrate with it
BB

Coffee & carbon