recommendations for a very firm bib insert/shammy/pad/chamois

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

GlasNago

by GlasNago

hey folks
any good recommendations for a very firm seat pad in shorts?
ive got the usual brands assos, rapha, castelli, santini, PI, ale, morvelo
all of which are the top of the range for that brand but was wondering if someone could recommend a thick dense foam pad. from my web browsing 200 kgmcubed is the densest foam that eit and the rest use but only for about 5mm
thanks any suggestion would be much appreciated.
3.990 kilo cannondale supersix himod (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160600#p1549663

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I am interested in this as well. Look at 7 Mesh MK3. Similar to Assos but perhaps a little denser.

My issue is that after a dozen or so uses, the pads lose their elasticity so my sit bones bottom out on the saddle. It's not the end of the world, but when my Assos are new, my ass floats more and I stay more comfortable longer.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cleaner

by Cleaner

I don't know the pad density but the Desoto 400 mile pad has held up well for me over multiple seasons. I have worn out the shell before the pad. They have a generous return policy when purchasing direct.

https://www.desotosport.com/products/400-mile-bib-short

GlasNago

by GlasNago

merci beaucoup cleaner mon ami for the suggestion and link i'll look into that 400 mile pad that is a most audacious claim. have to admit de soto sport is a brand ive never heard of.

increase the peace
Last edited by GlasNago on Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GlasNago

by GlasNago

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:40 pm
I am interested in this as well. Look at 7 Mesh MK3. Similar to Assos but perhaps a little denser.

My issue is that after a dozen or so uses, the pads lose their elasticity so my sit bones bottom out on the saddle. It's not the end of the world, but when my Assos are new, my ass floats more and I stay more comfortable longer.
good evening mr .gib (well it is evening here where i am)
i emailed 7mesh not long before i posted my message here as it was a brand i was hopeful of. after sending it though i discovered a few road.cc reviews. in one the pad used is a eit space two max foam density a paltry 120kgm3. so saying the bibs got 5/5. in the other review it mentions the pad is good but the reviewer "felt the road". if i hear anything back from the company i'll cut and paste it in this thread.

i wasnt cycling much of late then went straight back onto a selle italia c59 saddle and my seat bones were tortured. fortunately that bike has been put away for winter.......

peace out

JoO

by JoO

GlasNago wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:11 pm
hey folks
all of which are the top of the range for that brand but was wondering if someone could recommend a thick dense foam pad. from my web browsing 200 kgmcubed is the densest foam that eit and the rest use but only for about 5mm
I don't understand exactly what you are after. A firmer, non spongy chamois?
Take a look at skinfit (more a triathlon brand)
thin, firm, non spongy chamois.
My favorite bib

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I am always looking for a firm insert but so far I cant find anything over 120 kg/m3 but I do know that the Elastic Interface -Paris HP works well for me and the chamois that Giordana uses but not sure what density it is at but it feels close to the Paris HP. I did purchase a pair of the 7mesh who also use Elastic Interface but its a different pad then the Paris. I know that the higher end Ale bibs use a pad that is of 120 as well. I even went as far as having a Paris HP pad sewn into another pair of bibs after my overloaded washing machine destroyed a pair of La Passione bibs with the Paris pad. I just ordered DHB deep winter bib tights today that have the Paris Pad in them.
https://www.elasticinterface.com/cycling-pad
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

GlasNago

by GlasNago

JoO wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:58 pm
GlasNago wrote:
hey folks
My favorite bib
yeah a firmer thicker pad.
i've just ordered a pair of dhb shorts, for example, that uses, i think, the eit "road performance force hybrid" that claims to have a middle layer of the pad (undisclosed thickness) of 200kgm3.
will check out the skinfit outfit so thanks for contribution and suggestion.
i dont understand why bib manufacturers dont give more detail of the pad in the sales pitch.
of course other than the glaringly obvious that perhaps i'm being an anal retentive d!ckhead with sore ischial tuberosities

JoO

by JoO

GlasNago wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:34 pm
JoO wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:58 pm
GlasNago wrote:
hey folks
My favorite bib
yeah a firmer thicker pad.
i've just ordered a pair of dhb shorts, for example, that uses, i think, the eit "road performance force hybrid" that claims to have a middle layer of the pad (undisclosed thickness) of 200kgm3.
will check out the skinfit outfit so thanks for contribution and suggestion.
i dont understand why bib manufacturers dont give more detail of the pad in the sales pitch.
of course other than the glaringly obvious that perhaps i'm being an anal retentive d!ckhead with sore ischial tuberosities
I don't believe in padding very much. I think a lot of discomfort is cuased by sweat that gets trapped in the chamois.
That is why I prefer tri shorts from skinfit (not much more than a flee moving layer of microfiber cloth)
Skinfit is very underrated in my opinion.

GlasNago

by GlasNago

hey JoO
in my opinion the more you ride the more the contact points HTFU but as i mentioned i havent been cycling much of late then went straight onto a bare carbon saddle, which was fine when i was doing more miles.
anywho thanks again
Last edited by GlasNago on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kytyree

by kytyree

The ones that feel the most dense/firm to me that I've used lately are the Rapha Core and Velocio Signature and Lux (Luxe?) bibs.

GlasNago

by GlasNago

kytyree wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:17 pm
The ones that feel the most dense/firm to me that I've used lately are the Rapha Core and Velocio Signature and Lux (Luxe?) bibs.
i was out in my rapha pro team winter bibs yesterday. no details of the pad or if it differs from the pad used in the core bibs but it is a good pad too and excellent bibs. i do like a lot of rapha stuff though. the brand has its detractors and may be owned by walmart owners but still churn out good cycling couture as far as i am concerned.

thanks for your suggestion

may the funk be with you

GlasNago

by GlasNago

anyone used the sportful total comfort pad? it has an alleged 18mm thick pad but is it soft (less dense) or more firm?
i have the total comfort pro but not the 18mm version. the newest bib iteration doesnt get good reviews due to the straps material being flimsy and snapping

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

GlasNago wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:53 pm
anyone used the sportful total comfort pad? it has an alleged 18mm thick pad but is it soft (less dense) or more firm?
i have the total comfort pro but not the 18mm version. the newest bib iteration doesnt get good reviews due to the straps material being flimsy and snapping
I am pad sensitive and I always have been, and one of my favourite pads is the Sportful TC Pro. I did try one pair of bibs with the thicker Total Comfort pad, I personally found it a bit too thick and prone to bunching. It was thick enough I also felt like I needed to adjust my saddle height. To me the padding density seemed more soft, but it was a while ago so I'll have to dig them up to see if 'm remembering correct (only wore those maybe 5x). Even the TC Pro pad, it responds differently in different product. For example in the BodyFit Pro shorts, the lycra is very compressive yet conforms very well to the body so the pad does not bunch. But in the Fiandre Pro bib shorts, or the Fiandre Pro bib tights, the NoRain fabric is less flexible and I find it can cause more issues with chamois bunching. In fact, for the NoRain product I prefer the thinner less engineered BodyFit Pro pad over the TC Pro pad.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I had a pair of the Total Comfort bibshorts and the pad was okay for when I was running my Fizik Arione saddle but not so much for my SMP Composit or full carbon as I found the pad to be too soft. The other odd thing was in the summer it was squeaky on my saddle as I guess once it got sweaty it would squeak on the seat.
I was just looking at the Rapha site for the different chamois and it appears as though the Pro and the Core have different chamois as the description is different for the two. Says the Pro is of dual density and the Core shares the same pad as the Classic(For all-day comfort, with a new size-specific pad featuring body-contoured padding and a soft finish.)

https://www.rapha.cc/ca/en/stories/mens ... orts-guide
Last edited by bikeboy1tr on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com