recommendations for a very firm bib insert/shammy/pad/chamois

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

uraqt

by uraqt

Yep portful total comfort pad is soft.....

C

Raimundo

by Raimundo

On the OP question, my favourite thin/dense shammy is the Endura 700 CVP from their PRO SL bibshorts.
As stated before and also one of my favourites is the C3 from Santini (silicone inserts under the sit-bones) very firm, but very thick also.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GlasNago

by GlasNago

Raimundo wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:00 am
On the OP question, my favourite thin/dense shammy is the Endura 700 CVP from their PRO SL bibshorts.
As stated before and also one of my favourites is the C3 from Santini (silicone inserts under the sit-bones) very firm, but very thick also.
haha you spying on me?i have just ordered the pro sl bibshorts and for the ride this morning i was wearing a pair of endura thermal shorts with the 600 series pad under my santini bib longs with the c3 pad . along with merino leg warmers (the met forecast was "feels like one degcelius). plus combo.

thanks for taking the time to look at the post and chime in with your recommendation.

peace out
3.990 kilo cannondale supersix himod (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160600#p1549663

Raimundo

by Raimundo

:lol: "birds of feather flock together" :beerchug:

When you look long enough for the ideal chamois, you mostly end up with the same 3 or 4 options...

GlasNago

by GlasNago

Raimundo wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:04 pm

When you look long enough for the ideal chamois, you mostly end up with the same 3 or 4 options...
yeah hopefully youre not flocking too near as following a bit of prodding there is defo a big lump at the seat bone (and not one of ma plums). perhaps ischial bursitis. usually painful for the first five minutes of a ride then i remember to HTFU and get on with the work. might continue with doubling up the pads for a while though.....

ciao

Raimundo

by Raimundo

GlasNago wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 pm
Raimundo wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:04 pm

yeah hopefully youre not flocking too near as following a bit of prodding there is defo a big lump at the seat bone (and not one of ma plums). perhaps ischial bursitis. usually painful for the first five minutes of a ride then i remember to HTFU and get on with the work. might continue with doubling up the pads for a while though.....

ciao
Ahhhh!! I do follow you now (pun not intended :lol:)!

Your posts make complete sense now, and i thought all this time that the double shammys was to counteract a possible "square" ultralight saddle. ouch!!

I hope you get back to normal soon.

Priit

by Priit

I suggest Mavic. Their Ergo 3D Pro is quite thin and firm.

GlasNago

by GlasNago

Priit wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:41 am
I suggest Mavic. Their Ergo 3D Pro is quite thin and firm.
thanks Priit. think i have two pairs of mavic padded bib tights with an ergo 3d insert maybes not pro though. will double checl and give them a try again.
thanks

sethjs

by sethjs

I’ve found the Castelli Progetto X2 Air Seemless pad - the one they use in the Premio 2 and LW2, to be thicker / firmer ... and fantastic. It has to have alll those words or it’s the wrong one. The word Air being the key differentiator iirc.

The two issues:

1. it starts wearing out after ~ 50-75 rides. But it is, I think, what you’re after.

2. two times now the pad has developed a hard bulge after ~100 rides near the perenium area. Both times I was able to get the shorts warrantied out and got new ones. Must be some gel insert “popping”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I came in from my 100km ride yesterday and my 54Degree shorts had been delivered so I quickly put them on and went around the block to see how the chamois felt and it was pretty good. I figured after being on the saddle for 3.5 hrs that it would give me some sense of how the chamois would feel. I know I had a pair of Nalini bibs with what I thought was a match to my winter bibs chamois and wow was it not. I couldnt get out of our subdivision with those things and that was at the beginning of a ride and so since the 54 felt okay with previous hours in the saddle it should be good.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

fastezzie

by fastezzie

I like RedWhite brand. Previous favorite was Castelli for long rides. I still like their chamois but the bibs don't fit me very well.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

GlasNago wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:41 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:40 pm
I am interested in this as well. Look at 7 Mesh MK3. Similar to Assos but perhaps a little denser.

My issue is that after a dozen or so uses, the pads lose their elasticity so my sit bones bottom out on the saddle. It's not the end of the world, but when my Assos are new, my ass floats more and I stay more comfortable longer.
good evening mr .gib (well it is evening here where i am)
i emailed 7mesh not long before i posted my message here as it was a brand i was hopeful of. after sending it though i discovered a few road.cc reviews. in one the pad used is a eit space two max foam density a paltry 120kgm3. so saying the bibs got 5/5. in the other review it mentions the pad is good but the reviewer "felt the road". if i hear anything back from the company i'll cut and paste it in this thread.

i wasnt cycling much of late then went straight back onto a selle italia c59 saddle and my seat bones were tortured. fortunately that bike has been put away for winter.......

peace out
I've just picked up a pair of Giro Chrono bibs, and I find them to be much firmer than the shorts they replaced (DHB from Wiggle). I'm able to use them on my all carbon C59 knock off saddle.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Just took delivery of my La Passione Prestige bibshorts and was delighted to find that the chamois is the Hybrid Cell System from ElasticInterface and although it looks like the Paris HP it has 200kg/m3 density rating which I didnt know when purchasing. Happy days as I know it will be good. The Prestige fit a little snugger than the model below it PSN I think it is.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Teh Elastic Interface Endurance 2.5 is a great pad, very dense so you get good padding without a bunch of material.

GlasNago

by GlasNago

OnTheRivet wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:40 pm
Teh Elastic Interface Endurance 2.5 is a great pad, very dense so you get good padding without a bunch of material.
howdo OTR
thanks for input. got various iterations of EIT pads. i'm still cycling in two pairs of cycling leg wear so two pads usually as here in scotland we've hit perpetual autumn already and feel like temps still not too far off 2degC. not even bothered to shave the pistons yet this year. for shame.

all the best and safe hard yards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com