recommendations for a very firm bib insert/shammy/pad/chamois

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Has anyone tried the “world’s best bib shorts” by Eroe? How do they hold up over time?

garbageman

by garbageman

I ordered a pair after seeing them discussed here and they arrived with a split/rip next to the seam of the hem on the side of the waist. Not exactly confidence-inspiring. They seem pretty nice for the price other than that defect. Sorry I can't speak to their longevity. That's my n=1 experience so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I was just checking the La Passione site and noticed that the PSN and Minimal bibs are featuring the ElasticInterface Hybrid Chamois now along with the higher end Prestige line. PSN and the Minimal are a little less money than the Prestige with a chamois thats rated at 200 kg/mm density.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

garbageman

by garbageman

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:08 pm
I was just checking the La Passione site and noticed that the PSN and Minimal bibs are featuring the ElasticInterface Hybrid Chamois now along with the higher end Prestige line. PSN and the Minimal are a little less money than the Prestige with a chamois thats rated at 200 kg/mm density.
I have both the Minimal and Prestige bibs and the pad is not the same in them, though similar. Both have 200 kg/m^3 foam but the Prestige have a softer foam top layer on the hybrid cell insert whereas the Minimal's pad does not. The Prestige pad is more comfortable to me but they are both quite supportive. I really like the fit/design of the Minimal short though they can be a bit "immodest" off the bike due to the lack of paneling around the crotch.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Thanks garbageman, I have the Prestige and it is one of the better chamois in my lineup. Good to know the difference between that and the minimal. One of the problems I have with some other bibs is ppl behind me complain about the crack of dawn showing through and thats on bibs that are barely 2 years old with very little wear showing in the crotch. Long as Covid is with us its not something I have to hear much about. Guess I should stick with the Prestige bibs then.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

robbosmans

by robbosmans

And what about the lapassione PSN bibs? Do they also have the same pad?

Alex222

by Alex222

Recently bought my 3rd pair of the Minimal bib shorts. Find them very comfortable and I prefer the style over the other options. I'd assumed they had the same pad as the Prestige, so good to know there is a difference.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I came across these today. Perhaps this is what you are looking for?
https://www.sq-lab.com/en/ergonomics/sq ... s/sq-pads/
They look to be very thin/firm/hard.
Choose between 4/6/8mm padding.
The only road one appears to use 4mm, "MTB" @ 6mm (both these are bibs, the 8mm ones are non-bib)

Apologies if this brand has been mentioned before; I have not had time to read through all the replies (but I did search for "sq" and nothing came up)
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:25 am
Has anyone tried the “world’s best bib shorts” by Eroe? How do they hold up over time?
I got a pair last month. I can't speak about longevity, but for me the pad is a bit narrow which gets a bit uncomfortable on longer rides. The overall quality seems to be pretty good, nice soft lycra without any compression. I have short legs but ordered the longer version - I'm glad I did as they are still not super long. I don't like the hot pants look!

The La Passione Prestige are better, then Giordana FRC and Pedla better again. I'd even rate Endura Pro SL slightly better than Eroe. Isoles are next on my list as it looks like they use the exact same pad as Pedla.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

Lenfaki

by Lenfaki

La Passione PSN bib - My least favorite bib.. Chamois is fine but nothing special. Not much compression, bit saggy in the crotch. Like the longer leg length. Mine is 3 years old, maybe they've improved now..
Assos Equipe RS S9 - Very good bib, compresses well and good chamois. Bit short in the legs to my liking.
Maap Team bib 3.0 - My favorite bib. Firm chamois but not too thick. Long in the legs and overall quality is really good.
Le Col Pro Blackout Therma bib - Very firm and thick chamois, almost some sort of memory foam, somehow the pad fits me well. Not so much impressed with the quality though and shorter in the legs than MAAP/La Passione.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I may be late to the party, but I wanted to add that the Velocio Signature bibs have a dense 200g chamios. I don't have a pair, but since I also like a dense chamios they are on my list to try.

The LeCol Pro bibs have a dense pad - they are my favorite long dinstance bib at the moment.

The Sugoi RS Pro bibs also have a dense pad, though for whatever reason I don't find it as comfortable as the LeCol.

I have the Rapha Core, which I find fairly comfortable, but the pad isn't as dense as the above bibs. I also have the Pactimo 12 Hour Bibs, which has a thick, but not as dense pad that I find only is good to me for a couple of hours, as well as the Gore C5 Bibs, which have the softest chamios that I don't find especially comfortable.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

If I might add a new issue, does anyone have a recommendation for a short with a forward-placed pad?
In my experience, most shorts do not place the pad for bent-forward low posture riding, like TT postures.
In short, I'm looking for a pad that has more coverage in front.

Aesch

by Aesch

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:25 am
Yes, I own a pair. Nice bibs, only beat in my collection by q36-5 dottore bibs.
Recently chucked out everything except for these two (castelli progetto x2 air, assos mille, etc).
Similar performance to red white 'the bibs' for me.
Watch out with Sizing, it runs big.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just read about the new Altura Endurance bibs that features an Elastic Interface chamois, anyone tried it as yet. I have the chance to get a pair of new Le Col pro bib at roughly the same price as the Altura, wonder how these 2 will compare.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

So I went ahead with the Altura Endurance bibs, chamois is kinda meh, definitely not thick or particularly firm. Straps are rather strange in that they are double-layered, but it's the fabric feel is fine, as with the rest of the shorts. Price is very good though, so can be a short ride bibs but definitely don't belong to this thread. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk