Why did Hambini get banned?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Just curious why he got banned?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

He does not play well with others, is what I would expect. It's great to share your opinions but some are abusive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Browse through pages 7, 8, & 9 of the now locked Best/Fastest 45-50mm Tubeless wheelset thread and I think you will get the jist.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Habitual trolling, multiple warnings etc.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

madik

by madik

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:02 pm
Browse through pages 7, 8, & 9 of the now locked Best/Fastest 45-50mm Tubeless wheelset thread and I think you will get the jist.
I looked in the posted thread and there was nothing particular to rise an eye brow. :noidea:
Functionality > Performance > Weight

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Deleted
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Patterns of behaviour that have been going on for some time.

And as stated elsewhere and in that thread, he wasn't the only one given a holiday.

Using Tapatalk

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

madik wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 pm
ms6073 wrote:
I looked in the posted thread and there was nothing particular to rise an eye brow. :noidea:
Really? I sure did.

Partly, that's because I'm a mechanical engineer, just as Tom Anhalt is and as Hambini claims to be. Hambini's tone in that thread (and in general) is a real problem from an engineering perspective.

I do finite element analysis for a living. I do some CFD too, but structural analysis is my specialty. Both FEA and CFD are subsets of numerical simulation. When I evaluate my colleagues' simulations, I ask exactly the same questions others have asked of Hambini.

These are normal, basic and reasonable questions to ask when reviewing the results of an experiment or simulation. If those questions upset an engineer the way they upset Hambini, I and my peers cease to trust the engineer and their results.

Hambini's hostility to informed questions about his methods and conclusions is a red flag among engineers. It indicates incompetence at best and bullshit artistry at worst. Most of all, it indicates that the results are probably being misrepresented. In science and engineering, we show our work.

IMHO, this is the main reason engineers regard Hambini with a jaundiced eye and react so strongly to him. His claims are specious and his methods are suspect. I don't dare speculate about which of Hambini's claims are fabricated, but there's a lot about Hambini's story that doesn't add up.

So yeah, the tone in that thread is a problem for me. I happen to have the background to evaluate Hambini's claims, but most here don't. If he were earnestly mistaken, that would be fine. But combining that kind of vitriol with a steady stream of misinformation and half-truths makes quite a toxic stew. IMHO, the board is better off without that noise.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

As someone who doesn't have the background to validate Hambini's claims... do his results not jive with other's work?

robertbb

by robertbb

Because the mods on their high horses decided to swing their peckers around.

Wildly inconsistent moderation and zero accountability or justification for their decisions.

glepore

by glepore

youngs_modulus wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 pm
madik wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Really? I sure did.

Partly, that's because I'm a mechanical engineer, just as Tom Anhalt is and as Hambini claims to be. Hambini's tone in that thread (and in general) is a real problem from an engineering perspective.

I do finite element analysis for a living. I do some CFD too, but structural analysis is my specialty. Both FEA and CFD are subsets of numerical simulation. When I evaluate my colleagues' simulations, I ask exactly the same questions others have asked of Hambini.

These are normal, basic and reasonable questions to ask when reviewing the results of an experiment or simulation. If those questions upset an engineer the way they upset Hambini, I and my peers cease to trust the engineer and their results.

Hambini's hostility to informed questions about his methods and conclusions is a red flag among engineers. It indicates incompetence at best and bullshit artistry at worst. Most of all, it indicates that the results are probably being misrepresented. In science and engineering, we show our work.

IMHO, this is the main reason engineers regard Hambini with a jaundiced eye and react so strongly to him. His claims are specious and his methods are suspect. I don't dare speculate about which of Hambini's claims are fabricated, but there's a lot about Hambini's story that doesn't add up.

So yeah, the tone in that thread is a problem for me. I happen to have the background to evaluate Hambini's claims, but most here don't. If he were earnestly mistaken, that would be fine. But combining that kind of vitriol with a steady stream of misinformation and half-truths makes quite a toxic stew. IMHO, the board is better off without that noise.
Xactly. I don't need to establish my bona fides mother ... is pretty much a crutch. I don't doubt that he might be competent, but he's not professional, and I require both in people that design my stuff.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

robertbb wrote:Because the mods on their high horses decided to swing their peckers around.

Wildly inconsistent moderation and zero accountability or justification for their decisions.
You're welcome to join him?

Using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

robertbb wrote:Because the mods on their high horses decided to swing their peckers around.

Either we're too lax and get criticized for not doing a good enough job (if you can call unpaid volunteers that) or we're criticized for moderating too much. You're welcomed to try and do a better job but it's 3 of us and we're all doing this in our spare time.

People get banned because we get multiple complaints about them. There's a flag button for a reason, use it the same way you vote. If someone is doing something they shouldn't, flag it. Some of y'all think we read every post of every thread and are letting things slide because we condone it.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I think quoting problematic posts with explanations and warnings would be better than bans. Nefarious does this a lot and it tends to work. Banning right away causes the need for threads like this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I try to do this, tho sometimes it's a lost cause long before we get there.

In this particular instance everyone who copped time off had more than enough time to step back from the dumpster fire yet none of them did.

Using Tapatalk