Why did Hambini get banned?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Can someone provide the relation between B grade club racer and A grade club racer to U.S. racing, e.g., USA Cycling categories, Tuesday night office park training races, citizen races, or whatever?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

A grade/Div 1 is Cat1
B grade/Div2 is Cat2 fast Cat3 before they upgrade etc.

For example summer is always Tuesday night's at Sydney doing the Heffron Park handicap and Saturday afternoon scratch racing both with the locals lining up beside guys who race Cat1 when they head to the states to race Darylands etc and Guys why race on Conti teams etc with 100+ people on a good tuesday night with anyone form Lachlan Morton to Caleb Ewan turning up over Christmas if they're home seeing family for a Saturday arvo dig.

It's basically a goat track for the most part.

ImageImageImage
Using Tapatalk

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:30 pm
Well actually I'd be hiding in Cat3 right now if I was actually racing worried about my collarbones.
Cat3 - is Masters?

I'm looking at the Cycling Australia rulebook, page 9... https://data.cycling.org.au/sites/defau ... 020%20.pdf

Looks like Cat3 is Masters 40-44?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I was using the US terminology for the collarbone joke.

We have Local/State, National and Masters grading systems lol. Hopefully over the next 12 month's the state bodies will be dissolved into a single national body and things will be a little less messy.

Age wise I'm a Cat1 masters rider 30-34

For non masters "Open" racing I was A grade/Div1.

We have from memory
Div 1-5 for All ages or open racing
Cat/Mas1-10 for masters racing.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 pm
I was using the US terminology for the collarbone joke.

Haha is that a squirrel reference or at least that is the reference we use for the Canadian Cat 4 class.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

flying

by flying

Marin wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:22 am
Thanks for your work, moderators, I appreciate it and understand that it can be very hard at times.
+1 :beerchug:
a thankless job on what surely should have been an enjoyable place to be

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Ben689908 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm
I think it was fair asking for "working" from Hambini. I'm also an Engineer and, yeh, that's how we critique work.

Constantly asking for photos of the testing setup when he clearly did the tests at work - i.e. an Airbus windtunnel - is naive, in all fairness. As if he has clearance to share photos of an Airbus windtunnel on here...
I'd agree about the photo requests if they were just photo requests. But there's more to it than that.

Hambini claimed to have wind-tunnel tested a lot of wheels in a short span of time--so many wheels in such a short period of time that one wonders whether he tested them in a wind tunnel at all.

And the guy created multiple WW accounts—he's not exactly a stickler for the rules, so why should we think he's concerned about Airbus "clearance?"

Also, it seems unlikely that Airbus has wind tunnels dedicated to low-speed testing. They might—maybe for drones or something—but it would help if he addressed this and explained why he was able to test wheels with such precision in a wind tunnel designed for air speeds 20 times faster than those seen by bicycle wheels.

Finally, the guy uses Solidworks Flow. This is not a serious CFD code. If he were using his employer's resources, he'd likely be using something like StarCD or Fluent--or a proprietary code. If he can't use a sophisticated CFD code via his employer, he probably doesn't have wind tunnel access either.

Or maybe he does—this is just one example among many of questions Hambini refuses to answer. IME, people on the up-and-up generally answer reasonable questions.

--------

Being a moderator is a crappy job. I'm grateful to the mods for doing what they can.

Might it make sense to put ban notices in a thread with no comments allowed? Then bans would at least be in the public record (so to speak) and we could all see the reasons.

It's just a thought—what do you guys think?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

youngs_modulus wrote:
Ben689908 wrote:
I think it was fair asking for "working" from Hambini. I'm also an Engineer and, yeh, that's how we critique work.

Constantly asking for photos of the testing setup when he clearly did the tests at work - i.e. an Airbus windtunnel - is naive, in all fairness. As if he has clearance to share photos of an Airbus windtunnel on here...
I'd agree about the photo requests if they were just photo requests. But there's more to it than that.

Hambini claimed to have wind-tunnel tested a lot of wheels in a short span of time--so many wheels in such a short period of time that one wonders whether he tested them in a wind tunnel at all.

And the guy created multiple WW accounts—he's not exactly a stickler for the rules, so why should we think he's concerned about Airbus "clearance?"

Also, it seems unlikely that Airbus has wind tunnels dedicated to low-speed testing. They might—maybe for drones or something—but it would help if he addressed this and explained why he was able to test wheels with such precision in a wind tunnel designed for air speeds 20 times faster than those seen by bicycle wheels.

Finally, the guy uses Solidworks Flow. This is not a serious CFD code. If he were using his employer's resources, he'd likely be using something like StarCD or Fluent--or a proprietary code. If he can't use a sophisticated CFD code via his employer, he probably doesn't have wind tunnel access either.

Or maybe he does—this is just one example among many of questions Hambini refuses to answer. IME, people on the up-and-up generally answer reasonable questions.

--------

Being a moderator is a crappy job. I'm grateful to the mods for doing what they can.

Might it make sense to put ban notices in a thread with no comments allowed? Then bans would at least be in the public record (so to speak) and we could all see the reasons.

It's just a thought—what do you guys think?
I have a hard time believing that any multi billion dollar conglomerate would allow some random employee to exploit company resources for personal gain. I have to imagine that facility is used regularly during business hours...for actual company product testing. An employee regularly accessing a facility outside of business hours would be a serious cause of concern as it pertains to security and clearances. Really.

I have to wonder if Airbus is aware of his activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben689908

by Ben689908

youngs_modulus wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:34 am
Because he doesn't want to get canned. Creating multiple WW accounts and getting banned from an internet forum is one thing; falling foul of aviation/military/Secrets Act regulations (I don't know the proper terminology, I don't work in aviation, aerospace or the military) and getting canned from your job is quite the other.

If he had permission, then like with all other work that Airbus do... "no photos". If he didn't have permission, then you can certainly understand why he wouldn't post photographic evidence of any wrongdoing on the internet.

None of this is difficult to understand, IMO. However I don't condone the multiple forum usernames, petty arguments (from any board member) or Engineering results without working shown! ;-)

Anyway... is anyone selling a Chorus or Record 11v rim brake mechanical groupset?
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

robbosmans

by robbosmans

If you want to help our forum, please take the time to report Hambini’s post on yt, it is completely against the community guidelines.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

LeDuke wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:21 am
I have a hard time believing that any multi billion dollar conglomerate would allow some random employee to exploit company resources for personal gain. I have to imagine that facility is used regularly during business hours...for actual company product testing. An employee regularly accessing a facility outside of business hours would be a serious cause of concern as it pertains to security and clearances. Really.
Get a better employer.
I'm allowed to use work facilities for personal development and projects, if i can show that it develops me and my knowledge and has some relevance to my roll.
Aero testing of multiple wheel sets will meet those criteria. DoE, Statistical analysis, fluid dynamics, wind tunnel set up and operation, data collection. I'd sign off on one of my staff using works equipment to do something like this. (If there was sufficient downtime, there isn't at the moment!)

Also, He's not selling anything relating to this either, so no personal gain, except knowledge and experience.
LeDuke wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:21 am
you can't even get into the area where the wind tunnels are with out extra clearance signed off by several senior managers here, and we're not anywhere near as secure as aero (or defence)
Not to mention that you need 2 or 3 people to even run a proper tunnel.

He doesn't come across well though. Should be left to his own devices, 2 or 3 layers of staff between him and the public.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Why do people get banned?

Because like in a cycling race, no rider is bigger than the race's rules.

And I agree that heated discussions should be stopped ASAP. They mostly lead to nothing: those who react lose time and energy, and those who read it feel like they lost time and energy. This place should be a fun and constructive place above all.

Being a moderator is a very ungrateful task. Thanks for doing it!

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Ben689908 wrote:

I guess if he has clearance to use an Airbus wind tunnes for bike wheel testing, he should also have clearance to post pictures ;)
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

robbosmans wrote:If you want to help our forum, please take the time to report Hambini’s post on yt, it is completely against the community guidelines.
It's quite the dumpster fire. Apparently I'm a racist because I didn't check 46266 profiles for derogatory terms...

Using Tapatalk

C36

by C36

LeDuke wrote: I have a hard time believing that any multi billion dollar conglomerate would allow some random employee to exploit company resources for personal gain. I have to imagine that facility is used regularly during business hours...for actual company product testing. An employee regularly accessing a facility outside of business hours would be a serious cause of concern as it pertains to security and clearances. Really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, that’s very normal, often part of collaboration with engineering schools.
Back then, I regularly used Airbus autoclaves for carbon parts, used a wind tunnel to test Shell-marathon cars shapes, got a recumbent titanium bike made there. So that wouldn’t surprise me too much and that was as an engineering student.
Can expand the Airbus example to other aeronautics companies, Naval defense or car industries I am familiar with.

Now that doesn’t remove 4 things
- he is right on the transient testing part of things
- we have no control on if / how he tested the wheels
- he should have stick to facts...
- ... even if the vast majority of the people intervening have no scientific background to engage the discussion. And some have interest in discrédit his work.

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com