TdF coverage USA

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Just thought I'd share a cheap way to watch the TdF here in the states. NBC is the provider that has rights here in the states, which they would usually make you pay for their NBC Sports Gold Cycling Pass (which is an annual subscription).

After doing some research, I've found an inexpensive alternative. NBC's new streaming app, Peacock, will have live coverage on their premium service. You can sign up for free, start a 7 day free trial and watch live coverage. After that, it's $4.99/month, cancel any time. So you'll have access to watch the entire tour live for $4.99.

You won't have the replayable on-demand coverage, or their commentary and pre/post show events that you'd get with NBC sports gold, but it's 1/10th the price.

Hope this helps others here in the US enjoy the TdF.
Wilier Cento10AIR Rim Brake - SRAM Force AXS
BMC GF02 - Ultegra R8000 - Commuter/Trainer

Strava link: https://www.strava.com/athletes/jmeinholdt

by Weenie

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Why...thank you, sir!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Does the $4.99 per month Peacock Premium have 5 minutes of ads per hour during TDF coverage, and if so, are these ads during which you miss the coverage, or are they frame around ads in which you still see the coverage? Does the $9.99 per month Peacock Premium Plus eliminate all the ads?

Not counting ads, does Peacock Premium have the same amount of during race coverage as NBC Gold, or does Peacock Premium start coverage later in the stage?

It's better without the stupid interviews. I remember U.S. TV coverage about 30 years ago in which the U.S. TV network had its own cameras, and spent a lot of coverage in stupid interviews - some racer at home with his wife, and new baby - who cares, just show the damn race. Then one year, they only had access to French camera, didn't show interviews during the race, and it was much better.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I don't have those answers. But I did see on the premium plus that some events still have ads due to streaming rights restrictions.

I'll be watching tomorrow so hopefully I can update this thread with my experience.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Coverage started before the neutralized start. Looks like it's going to be the same with the "cut scenes" on different topics/interviews throughout with a split scene to live racing.

Haven't had ads yet, but I'm certain there will be some.

Edit: 2+ hours into coverage and I've yet to see any ad breaks.

Loi

by Loi

Watching too without any ads 3 hours in. Only downside is regular interviews with split screen... Still, $5 well invested - great value actually.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Were both of you watching Peacock Premium, as opposed to Peacock Premium Plus? I supposed even if there's no difference in ads, Peacock Premium Plus is the Weight Weenie's choice, because it lightens your wallet by another 5 bucks a month.

I suppose I could start (tomorrow) with the 7 day free trial of Peacock Premium, and if there are ads, I can switch to Peacock Premium Plus, and fork over the dough for that.

<begin rant>Lose the stupid interviews, you stupid idiots (at NBC).{/end rant>

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Peacock premium. Not premium plus. Saw no ads at all today.

by Weenie

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

It looks like NBC won't have the Giro at all.

But NBC Cycling Pass will have the Vuelta.

https://www.ibc.org/news/nbc-universal- ... 65.article
On July 16, 2000, NBC Universal launches streaming service Peacock wrote:Peacock Premium will also feature access to live and on demand sports programming, including ... coverage of cycling events like the Tour De France and La Vuelta ...
So unless NBC changed its mind, or uses a very sleazy interpretation of "like", the Vuelta will be on Peacock Premium.