Which Canadian network is airing the TdF this year?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

jspaceman

by jspaceman

So the Tour de France starts on Saturday. Anyone know which Canadian TV channel is airing it? In the past Sportsnet (all Blue Jays, all the time) aired it, but looking at their schedule for this weekend it doesn't appear as though they are showing the TdF. Same with TSN. It would be nice if we could get Eurosport here, but we can't have nice things.

by Weenie

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Couple of my riding buddies text me and were like who is covering the TDF this year and I was like Flo is the only one showing it otherwise none of the cable providers are listing TDF. I think this is going to turn many ppl off in Canada because Flo wants you to subscribe for a year and I dont know if they will give a refund if you cancel after just one month and if they do refund I would bet its not going to be a full refund. Orbital was saying on the Pro thread here that they refunded his money back after the auto renewel caught him offguard in Feb and he got his money back from March onward but that was right when Covid hit here and Flo was giving some leeway to subscribers just for that reason. I purchased for the year as I watch it year round anyway and not to concerned just yet if they get shut down again by Covid as I have many races to catch up on at the moment.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Orbital

by Orbital

Yup, Flo has exclusive broadcast rights in Canada. No Sportsnet NOW this year. I like it. You can watch the replay in its entirety at your leasure with Flo. Sportsnet you have to wait for the replay to air and I find it doesn’t replay consistently towards the end of the tour. I missed a few stages last year because of that.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I was looking at FloBikes. I wish they offered a monthly subscription though, $150/year is a little steep, especially after the season winds down in November and I only need it from August to November or so. Is that $150 in USD or CAD?

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

FWIW, this deal was cut last year during the Tour and announced by FLO Bikes in mid-August. Not sure why Sportsnet gave up the rights to the Tour, maybe it was a money thing in terms of the contract with ASO. For the network, it has worked out well in light of Coronavirus, as they have NHL playoffs in full swing, plus MLB going on right now. Of course they could not have predicted this back in 2019. I'm guessing TSN probably had a chance to take the contract for the Tour, but they have a huge amount of money invested in the F1 contract. My assumption is that the Canadian sports networks probably keep a very small amount of their overall budget for sports outside of the big-5 (hockey, football, basketball, baseball, soccer) so cycling is competing with NASCAR, F1, tennis, etc.

Orbital

by Orbital

jspaceman wrote:I was looking at FloBikes. I wish they offered a monthly subscription though, $150/year is a little steep, especially after the season winds down in November and I only need it from August to November or so. Is that $150 in USD or CAD?
It’s USD. Just noticed they don’t have the monthly option anymore. Seems a poor business model as every other streaming service is monthly recurring billing.

Edit: screenshot of their homepage. So monthly must be a thing. Maybe just can’t find it from mobile site.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

It appears as though FloBikes is a yearly only subsription now, according to https://support.flosports.tv/s/article/ ... early-only

Another option seems to be FuboTV, which does offer a monthly subscription to Canadians. $16/month for fuboTV Canada + $12/month for the fubo Cycling package. So around $28/month altogether. All prices in USD I assume.

Another option is a VPN and Eurosport Player subscription I suppose, :-)

Orbital

by Orbital

jspaceman wrote:It appears as though FloBikes is a yearly only subsription now, according to https://support.flosports.tv/s/article/ ... early-only

Another option seems to be FuboTV, which does offer a monthly subscription to Canadians. $16/month for fuboTV Canada + $12/month for the fubo Cycling package. So around $28/month altogether. All prices in USD I assume.

Another option is a VPN and Eurosport Player subscription I suppose, :-)
A lot of times flobikes feed has fubo watermark. Lol

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

FloBikes is more or less a feed aggregrator. They get some feeds from Fubo, some from other sources. I think smaller races like Burgos they get a Spanish TV feed and then have their own commentators (Jonny Sundt, getting better bit by bit). Dauphine they had some form of ASO feed with Anthony McCrossan.

If you really want to only watch live, a good VPN and you can watch almost any WT race. For the Tour, I assume it will be broadcast on L'Equipe and/or French TV. And probably Polish national TV, Sporza in Belgium, etc, etc. I watched the Tour of Poland using a VPN and the Polish national TV feed and it was perfectly fine.

Cyclingfans.com and Steephill.tv are good resources for legit feeds needing a VPN, or pirate feeds.

But, this brings me to point where I have to say if pro cycling REALLY wants to move forward the World Tour needs to get a UNIFIED broadcast package for global consumption. Like F1 or MotoGP, where I can go pay my money and get every race on the WT live or on demand. Having all these individual contracts between organizers like the ASO and RCS, then the UCI, etc, it just makes it a joke to try to follow the sport closely. But of course there is no "owner" of pro cycling like F1 or MotoGP so this will likely never happen in my time.

Orbital

by Orbital

It’s unfortunate because flobikes has really come a long way in the years I’ve been using it. Not sure why they changed to the yearly subscription. Digging deeper into Fubo, the Tour wont be available in Canada and in US they are charging $55 for the NBC feed.

For me the $150usd price tag to take my chances that the Tour will make it to the end isn’t happening.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I hear you Orbital. It's a steep price tag. I used Fubo back in 2018 for a bit, but they did a bait and switch with the Vuelta so I dumped them and got my money back. I started using Flo almost exactly 2 years ago and yes it has improved greatly but so has the cost.

I would suggest using a quality VPN and then links off Cyclingfans.com to get to a legit broadcast from France, Belgium, Poland, Norway. If L'Equipe is showing it on their website it generally works very very well. Same with France 3 but usually more commercials there. L'Equipe may archive the stages for a few days as well. Polish TV was doing this for Tour of Poland, there was a link to a re-broadcast page and I could watch the stages on demand for a few days.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I wonder if Fubo and a VPN might be my best choice. I can always cancel it if COVID makes a resurgence and they pull the plug on the rest of the season.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I have a friend who does the Eurosport Player via VPN. He says it is a bit of an issue to get set up, because he had to make a UK iTunes account and then had issues paying with a Canadian credit card. He was able to make it all work eventually but I do not have all the details.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

For me its not about the TDF as its so commercialized but the racing is great with all the mountain stages but I like to watch all the races we normally wouldnt see year round like the Dauphine, Burgos, some of the womens racing, Swiss tour, Torrino Adriatico, and many of the smaller Italian and Spanish races. In the winter the track racing is usually pretty entertaining along with the CX as well or at least it was before the UCI started rearranging the schedule. I get my moneys worth out of the whole year and I added the Race Pass to go with it but I guess we will see how the rest of the season pans out if Covid takes over again. But for those that just want to see the TDF its a total rip job. Only in Canada you say?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Orbital

by Orbital

The one thing I hated was that you had to go to several different places to watch the grand tours. Now they’re all in one place, finally! I agree it’s nice having the classics and monuments to watch. I thought I’d watch XC but it just wasn’t for me.

by Weenie