For my Bolzano friends: question re cycling

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

parajba

by parajba

I am thinking about moving permanently to this area.
I am sure there will be plenty of hilly cycling opportunities in the spring, summer and autumn, but is it possible to cycle in the winter and do a base training?

micky

by micky

First of all, you need to learn a southern Italy accent cause I've got to meet more souther Italians in Bolzano area than any other province in North Italy.

For winter training probably you'd need to opt for mtb or other things like jogging due to rain than snow.
By the way, summer is really hot in Bolzano area and I mean really.

by Weenie

parajba

by parajba

Thanks Micky. I currently live near London (nearby country side) and we are thinking to return to Italy and given that my wife is German we have narrowed it down to the Bolzano area as they are bilingual. We have been there on holidays to check it out and it's really nice.
We both also ski. I don't mind taking up MTB in the winter as base training, sounds like fun. So the road bike in this area in the winter is a no-no? Plus I have a Kickr for when the weather is really bad.
Am I right in saying that it's very good from March to October though? I am a climber and fairly light (67kg for 178cm). I am used to the rain and wind given that I have been living in the U.K for a long time (but even after 17 years I still hate rain and wind!). Lol

micky

by micky

I've visited Bolzano a couple of times, both summer and fall so Im not the best to talk about weather as I've never been in winter to get an idea what's like.

I checked online out of curiosity how it was in 2019, and they talk about a winter starting very early (first week of September) and a lot of snow in November/December over the usual that created a lot of troubles.
They report also the highest temperature in June with nearly 40°.
So yeah, it's a city with a big charm but being in a valley it got a bit extreme weather.

https://www.altoadige.it/cronaca/bolzan ... -1.2225096

IchDien

by IchDien

The major roads will be open in the winter so you can still cycle them on a road bike; however I wouldn't be wanting to ride my first choice road bike on some of them due to the salt on the road etc. The climbs I would forget about totally for winter. No experience MTB so can't help you there.

Come to Italy anyway - it's a much nicer cycling experience/culture than the UK.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

IchDien wrote:Come to Italy anyway - it's a much nicer <deleted> than the UK.
You didn’t need that section! The UK is awful, I want to escape! I should look for jobs at one of the Italian automotive companies...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

parajba

by parajba

@micky, @IchDien, @Maximilian, thanks for the kind replies...

For the winter and wet training rides I have a CAAD13, with mechanical Ultegra, strong training wheels, Stages PM and full mudguards...it's my posh 'muletto' :) Very comfy and solid ride.

We really liked Bolzano. So clean, so pretty, so functional. Wife is German so fits the family profile too. We are now planning our return, not in a rush, probably over the next 3 years. I work in banking so I need to find a suitable job first...

IchDien

by IchDien

parajba wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:10 pm
We really liked Bolzano. So clean, so pretty, so functional. Wife is German so fits the family profile too.
Tyrol / Alto-Adige is an amazing part of Italy. When cycling into / out of there you immediately notice the different quality of roads and cleanliness at the border! Not to mention the poor coffee at your first stop :lol:.

parajba

by parajba

IchDien wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:25 am
parajba wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:10 pm
We really liked Bolzano. So clean, so pretty, so functional. Wife is German so fits the family profile too.
Tyrol / Alto-Adige is an amazing part of Italy. When cycling into / out of there you immediately notice the different quality of roads and cleanliness at the border! Not to mention the poor coffee at your first stop :lol:.
Ah ah! So true. We drove from London and took our Nespresso coffee machine with us lol

micky

by micky

My province arrives next to Trentino and wherever I have chance to move by car for a ride in the mountains my option would be ALWAYS go toward Trentino.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Ha yeah, the one bad meal I've ever had in Italy was in Alleghe. Decidedly Germanic!

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I'm currently in Bolzano for a week. Anyone up for a ride? :)
Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

m3lodiaa

by m3lodiaa

Don‘t know about Bolzano specifically, but South Tirol in general stands out for me as a very clean and organized region. Imo the people there are diligent and very kind.
For me would be one of the top places in Europe to live.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

+1

Really enjoyed Bolzano last week. Indeed very clean, safe and (bicycle) friendly people! Also most speak German (English not so much). Would indeed be a great place to live, altough the city itself is not as pittoresque as let's say Florance, Venice, Rome etc. It's more Austrian than Italian.
Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

by Weenie

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

been there twice with my bike, place is stunning for roadies - period. although riding there all year round? well, even during winter ski holidays I've encountered ZERO cloudy days.. ok, maybe one or two during three one-week trips. but the truth is, just like with any busy skiing region, the traffic is significant, so I'd look for less 'skiish' places to live.. like south of France (yup, very original, I know, but pros move there for a reason).
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.