Any Engineers around here?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Are you an engineer?

Yes
63%
I’m a dentist duh
5%
No
32%

Total votes: 124

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

psg wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:55 pm
Guilty as charged. I'm a MechE; formerly in the automotive industry, switched to oil & gas, and now med devices. I've loved riding bikes all my life, but couldn't afford any of it until I was in industry for a few years.

I was out on the bike recently when I had the thought about why cycling appeals to the engineering crowd. My theory is that it's a sport/hobby that is very simple in the grand scheme of things, but can be made extremely complex if you want it to. Because there is so much established knowledge about cycling, you can break things down into little microexperiments and understand the affects of one factor at a time (or at least account for those extraneous factors). Less voodoo science/sussing out of trends in partial experiments and more pure understanding of the science.

This is comforting when you work with stuff on a day-to-day basis where you don't have the time, energy, ability, or knowledge to completely understand every aspect of what you're paid to do for a living. You actually get solvable problems that you care about and no pressure!
Once had an Eng calling our Vibration Tech Voodoo magic so he obviously had no understanding of Vibration whatsoever. Unfortunately he was in charge of the dept that had us under his wing and shut the program down.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Broady

by Broady

Engineering Manager @ a University

by Weenie

Roel W

by Roel W

I have an enginering degree in electronics.
Now working at national railways.
CANYON Ultimate AL 2010
CANYON Ultimate CF SL 2014
CANYON Ultimate CF SL disc 2018
Instagram @roeleur

nodivision

by nodivision

M.E. here as well. Went from oil and gas -> automotive/motorsports -> water treatment. Background was in motorsports side most my life till recently, started riding more as I like working on bikes way more than cars as of late.

benzebub

by benzebub

I got my education as a sound/recording engineer.

I believe they tacked on the 'engineer' to make it sound important, but hey, I know (knew?) how to calibrate a 24 track Studer tape recorder and get the automation working on an SSL 9000 console which can be a challenge.
But I could be wrong

Ypuh

by Ypuh

What's a tape recorder? Is that like a plugin for Spotify or something to package boxes with? (as you can see, I don't have a degree in engineering).
Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

madik

by madik

Finite Element analyst here of mostly static and dynamic properties of Machine tools. Not exactly a bike but stiffness/weight ratio is the key in Machine tools as well :)
Functionality > Performance > Weight

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Mechanical Eng. here as well. Background mainly in vehicle suspension design but working for a steelmaker since approx. 5 years now. We have some customers in the bicycle industry, mainly related to tools and molds but some of our material is actually part of the bikes some of you ride.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

adilosnave wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:27 pm
joejack951 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:11 pm
ME that does product design for a living. I make most of money taking napkin sketches from doctors and designing/building prototypes so that they can go get funding. I also dabble in more and more bike stuff because it’s fun. My favorite people to work with are industrial designers but a good ME or EE (or minimally ego’d doctor) can also make for a great collaboration.
Joe, see my reply above. I'm an industrial designer working mainly in the sporting goods industry (kayaks, bikes, consumer products.) Sounds like do similar work.
I'm in product design too but in the biopharma industry (new product development/R&D).
Would love to be a proper industrial designer doing consumer products instead.

bilwit

by bilwit

14sandee wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:34 pm
A level student busy applying to Unis for MechEng... Is that a yes?
nope, maybe in a few years if all goes well though :wink:
benzebub wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:58 pm

I believe they tacked on the 'engineer' to make it sound important, but hey, I know (knew?) how to calibrate a 24 track Studer tape recorder and get the automation working on an SSL 9000 console which can be a challenge.
It's still the practical application of science isn't it? In contrast, in the IT world they take the word too far and abstract to where you'll have people straight out of high school working a call center job being called a "support engineer," then people in the server room plugging cables all day "systems engineer." When it becomes way too obviously abstract like that it's out of bounds and no longer valid IMO.

iflyadesk

by iflyadesk

bilwit wrote:
benzebub wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:58 pm
It's still the practical application of science isn't it?
Have either of you read Dr Floyd Toole’s Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms?
2018 Canyon Aeroad Disc - 7.1kg | 2018 Specialized Crux - 8.0kg

Retired: 2015 Giant Propel Advanced SL - 7.0kg | 2018 Santa Cruz Stigmata - 6.8kg | 2018 Trek Madone 9.0 - 7.1kg | Switch Single Speed - 5.9kg

fa63

by fa63

I have a PhD in civil engineering. After 15 years in the field, I now work at a bike shop :-)

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Structural engineer - mostly steel structures.
Technical editor at Cykelmagasinet Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

joejack951

by joejack951

adilosnave wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:27 pm
joejack951 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:11 pm
ME that does product design for a living. I make most of money taking napkin sketches from doctors and designing/building prototypes so that they can go get funding. I also dabble in more and more bike stuff because it’s fun. My favorite people to work with are industrial designers but a good ME or EE (or minimally ego’d doctor) can also make for a great collaboration.
Joe, see my reply above. I'm an industrial designer working mainly in the sporting goods industry (kayaks, bikes, consumer products.) Sounds like do similar work.
For the time being at least, I do comparatively little consumer product work. In years past I had worked with Princeton Tec (LED lighting) and a handful of other smaller consumer products companies. My more recent personal projects (15x100 fork conversion kits and the innicycle headset) seem to have enough potential that I am investing a decent chunk of my time in them now.

Medical stuff is always there and ideally I’ll find a way to balance the consumer/bike stuff with that work as I like both but it’s also easy to get in a rut with either.

by Weenie