Any Engineers around here?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Are you an engineer?

Yes
63%
I’m a dentist duh
5%
No
32%

Total votes: 124

m3lodiaa

by m3lodiaa

Do software engineers count as well?

by Weenie

groover08

by groover08

One of my favorite engineering jokes was said by a mechanical engineer about one of his colleauges: "Typical chemical engineer. He can't think without a copy of Perry's in his hand." (You may need to look that one up, but it's a beauty.)

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Materials engineer, most of my work has been in metallurgy, little bit of composites knowledge. 3 credits short of a minor in non-destructive testing.

Orbital

by Orbital

Around here we call them imagineers. Imagine if it actually worked!!

prebsy

by prebsy

engineering school dropout, which worked out for the best.

psg

by psg

Guilty as charged. I'm a MechE; formerly in the automotive industry, switched to oil & gas, and now med devices. I've loved riding bikes all my life, but couldn't afford any of it until I was in industry for a few years.

I was out on the bike recently when I had the thought about why cycling appeals to the engineering crowd. My theory is that it's a sport/hobby that is very simple in the grand scheme of things, but can be made extremely complex if you want it to. Because there is so much established knowledge about cycling, you can break things down into little microexperiments and understand the affects of one factor at a time (or at least account for those extraneous factors). Less voodoo science/sussing out of trends in partial experiments and more pure understanding of the science.

This is comforting when you work with stuff on a day-to-day basis where you don't have the time, energy, ability, or knowledge to completely understand every aspect of what you're paid to do for a living. You actually get solvable problems that you care about and no pressure!

dcorn

by dcorn

Mechanical Engineer here, but I've been told many times online that I don't know a thing about the topic.

bilwit

by bilwit

m3lodiaa wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:31 pm
Do software engineers count as well?
If you have a degree that has the word "engineer" on it, yes, otherwise you're distinctly a "software developer," at least that's what I've been told.

iflyadesk

by iflyadesk

BS Electrical Engineering
MS Financial Engineering
Software Developer in the real world
2018 Canyon Aeroad Disc - 7.1kg | 2018 Specialized Crux - 8.0kg

Retired: 2015 Giant Propel Advanced SL - 7.0kg | 2018 Santa Cruz Stigmata - 6.8kg | 2018 Trek Madone 9.0 - 7.1kg | Switch Single Speed - 5.9kg

adilosnave

by adilosnave

I get called an engineer a lot but am an Industrial Designer. Have done some bike designs...

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Haha I work with Mech Eng and they normally scribble something on a napkin and then hand it to me and say, "can you make this work". So no not an eng.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

joejack951

by joejack951

ME that does product design for a living. I make most of money taking napkin sketches from doctors and designing/building prototypes so that they can go get funding. I also dabble in more and more bike stuff because it’s fun. My favorite people to work with are industrial designers but a good ME or EE (or minimally ego’d doctor) can also make for a great collaboration.

adilosnave

by adilosnave

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:11 pm
ME that does product design for a living. I make most of money taking napkin sketches from doctors and designing/building prototypes so that they can go get funding. I also dabble in more and more bike stuff because it’s fun. My favorite people to work with are industrial designers but a good ME or EE (or minimally ego’d doctor) can also make for a great collaboration.
Joe, see my reply above. I'm an industrial designer working mainly in the sporting goods industry (kayaks, bikes, consumer products.) Sounds like do similar work.

14sandee

by 14sandee

A level student busy applying to Unis for MechEng... Is that a yes?
Summer Emonda SLR Disc/TT Custom Trinity/CX Inflite CF SL/CX Crosslight Pro6/Turbo 2014 TCR/Winter CAADX/Hack Tom Bromwich Singlespeed

by Weenie

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:11 pm
Where would we be without napkin sketches, it has to be a worldwide standard amoung all Eng. I think I can count on one hand how many times I have been given actual diagrams over the years. I probably wouldnt know how to read one any longer anyway.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake