Lazer Z1 adjusting barrel barely holds

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Catagory6

by Catagory6

just picked up this helmet today, and realized when i got home that the adjusting barrel slips very easily. barely holds at all
is that the way its supposed to be?
is there a way to adjust tension?

by Weenie

velov

by velov

I've got a couple and haven't had any issues. Are you sure that the helmet isn't so big that the your head is at the very lower end of the tension range?

jcrr

by jcrr

@Catagory6 That is not how it's supposed to be. We have/had a number of Z1s in our household. The 'rollsys' on all of them tightens and tension holds tight.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

spartan

by spartan

i had the same issue. i returned the helmet.

Catagory6 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 am
just picked up this helmet today, and realized when i got home that the adjusting barrel slips very easily. barely holds at all
is that the way its supposed to be?
is there a way to adjust tension?
Current Rides:

2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Bora Di2 9150

ms6073

by ms6073

jcrr wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:28 am
We have/had a number of Z1s in our household. The 'rollsys' on all of them tightens and tension holds tight.
Have been using Lazer helmets with rollsys for last 6-years and we currently have both the new Genesys and 2018 Z1 helmets (both with MIPS) and all 4-helmets tighten and hold tension to the point where I once found my self with a sudden headache only to realize I had way over tightened the rollsys. One thing I can think of is the rollsys mechanism is replaceable and if it is not correctly installed, it may not maintain tension. Also, as previously stated, Lazer has a broad range for each size, so if your head band diameter does not fall within the range for the size you purchased, the rollsys will not be able to be properly adjusted and may give the sensation of not holding tension.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Same issue on the Z1. Returned helmet after trying on.
Good looking, safe (tests well anyway), decent aero # in tests, low 'mushroom head' shape, light helmet, but.... That helmet is pretty compromised with reguard to fit/comformt relative to other helmets to meet their weight goal. IIRC, the converage felt less full (I could have actually sized down, when I'm at the top end of L in other brands), they shipped it with 'non-padded' pads (with alternative minimal pads in the box), the adjuster was junk, and the 'direction' of the adjustment was bad (not a halo adjustment, but an attempt at a multi-directional adjustment).

It was also for longer, semi-oval/egg shaped heads (Smith is the most oval Ive found), not more rounded like Bontrager/POC/Oakley, so it didn't suit me.

by Weenie

savechief

by savechief

I have a Z1 that holds fine, but it takes several minutes to get my new G1 tight enough. Constant tightening and unwinding of the Rollsys knob. I'm likely going to have to return my G1. It's like there is not enough friction in the system.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268