Hambini BSA BB worth the money?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

madik

by madik

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 pm
What problems does it solve? It's a BSA BB.

There is no doubt it is a finely made piece but it's legitamate to discuss the value proposition of various solutions and upgrades.
I can think of two reasons when Hambini BSA BB makes sense to buy. First is when there is an actual problem with the frame, the cranks doesn't turn nicely and/or bearing doesn't last more than few thousand of km. In this case Hambini BB can solve the problem if it's on the frame side.
Second reason can be performance improvement. Bearings can be easily overbuild and swapped for fast non-sealed ones (for race or Kom hunting for example).

In case the frame has no issue and/or there is no valid reason to lower friction losses. Then yeah you don't need this BB and can live with Shimano BSA.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

by Weenie

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

For those mentioning NTN bearings. How much do you guys think those bearings cost? Especially for someone with an industrial dealer account like the homeboy Sachin? Under 50$ for the set of bearings, I'll bet money on it.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:17 pm
There is only one BB infinite that is a little bit cheaper, only for US
Chris King.
Wheels Mfg
Kogel Bearings
There are a ton of manifatures in this space. Also the BBinfinite one is only $100 usd.

Hambini BSA Value = NO
Hambini BSA quality = YES

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

^ This. The more expensive bbinf bottom brackets have a lifetime warranty. They will send you new bearings when they wear out. That alone greatly pushes the value towards other options. That being said, I wish Sachin was my dad. <3

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Alexbn921 wrote:
robbosmans wrote:
Chris King.
Wheels Mfg
Kogel Bearings
There are a ton of manifatures in this space. Also the BBinfinite one is only $100 usd.

Hambini BSA Value = NO
There are only two one piece bb’s on the market, thats bb infinite and hambini

robbosmans

by robbosmans

icantaffordcycling wrote:For those mentioning NTN bearings. How much do you guys think those bearings cost? Especially for someone with an industrial dealer account like the homeboy Sachin? Under 50$ for the set of bearings, I'll bet money on it.
Sure, but you have to add machining with tight tolerances in Germany, small numbers, profits, developed, testing etc

Then suddenly €250 for a bb starts to make more sense

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:36 pm
Alexbn921 wrote:
robbosmans wrote:
Chris King.
Wheels Mfg
Kogel Bearings

Hambini BSA Value = NO
There are only two one piece bb’s on the market, thats bb infinite and hambini
True, but we are talking about BSA and they are all 2 piece.

kode54

by kode54

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:45 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:55 pm
His design will also increase the bb stiffness, especially for bikes with two separate alu cups bonded into the frame
I keep reading this but I don't believe it for a second. Any cups bonded in a frame BB are not moving or flexing. And remember that the crank itself is a solid cylinder. I just cannot see anyway that this BB will stiffen things up.
Its all about alignment. Separate cups pressed in with drifts may not align properly due to misaligned DS and NDS shell. My Factor has a BB shell that is one piece...so alignment may not be an issue, but my Parlee has a molded in short sleeve without a center section. Misalignment can happen in the production process due to resin drying or bladder internal. Less to go wrong with a BBinfinite or Hambini one piece.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs --> outgoing

F45

by F45

I like the standard bearings and the low price. If I was building up a new BSA frame, I'd get one.

1415chris

by 1415chris

This is a comment purely on the pricing!
It is hard not to notice, that Hambini's bearing prices started going up with the increase of his popularity (whatever the kind).
NTN bearing right now are around twice more expensive as they were while ago. In the same time these bearings can be sourced from authorised bearing dealers for about 1/3 of his web prices.
So I very doubt that there is so much work and quality to justify the bb price. More likely, the same process as with the bearings. I guess he can charge whatever ridiculous price he wants and there still will be people happy to pay it.
Just saying.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I don’t own one but if my frame had misaligned cups then I’d definitely get one.
Yes you can put a Dura ace BB in but if you’ve got misaligned BB cups then it’s not going to fix anything.
It’s not about beating quality.
It’s about making a bad frame good.

It’s more about fixing a frame with bad tolerance than the BB itself.
If all frames had perfectly level and even BB’s there’s been no need for Hambini. Hambini fixes this problem. Dura Ace or Chris King doesn’t. On top of fixing the problem Hambini has great bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TQ1

by TQ1

If the frame is misaligned, you can correct it using a Hambini BB.

How do you ensure the cracks and BB are then straight in the frame. They will be aligned with each other, but that doesn't guarantee correct alignment with the frame?

blaugrana

by blaugrana

I'm assuming the amount of misaligment of the bearings between each other required for them to cause problems is quite a bit smaller than what would be noticeable in terms of the whole BB being misaligned with the frame.