Hambini BSA BB worth the money?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

MaxPower

by MaxPower

I can also say it another way - would i buy a Hambini BB again (other type, same type, for same bike, for different bike)? The anwer is yes, definitely (next frame is selected acctually around this thought, that it must be able to fit a one-piece BB). Repeated customers are the best sign of good quality/price relationship (subjective ratio)

by Weenie

Lewn777

by Lewn777

People saying that a Hambini was great for a press-fit BB replacement, fine. I can imagine it was a good investment as they are fundamentally different design to OEM products. His pressfits are £180-200 including tax, made with good quality bearings and alloy instead of plastic cups and a different design, in an area where alignment is very important, I get it, I think it's a good investment.

However now we are comparing a £35 Dura Ace BSA BB (and a host of others) and a £247 Hambini BSA BB. It's an entirely different proposal. Are the bearings really that poor in Dura Ace? Are the cups really machined that badly? I find it hard to believe that Hambini is offering any kind of value for money or offering substantially anything better than Shimano for over seven times the cost.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Lewn777 wrote:People saying that a Hambini was great for a press-fit BB replacement, fine. I can imagine it was a good investment as they are fundamentally different design to OEM products. His pressfits are £180-200 including tax, made with good quality bearings and alloy instead of plastic cups and a different design, in an area where alignment is very important, I get it, I think it's a good investment.

However now we are comparing a £35 Dura Ace BSA BB (and a host of others) and a £247 Hambini BSA BB. It's an entirely different proposal. Are the bearings really that poor in Dura Ace? Are the cups really machined that badly? I find it hard to believe that Hambini is offering any kind of value for money or offering substantially anything better than Shimano for over seven times the cost.
He uses NTN bearings, basically the best bearings money can buy, they have a better durability and lower friction than ceramicspeed, kogel, etc.

His design will also increase the bb stiffness, especially for bikes with two separate alu cups bonded into the frame

Its probably the best bb you can buy, and It will probably outlast any other bb on the market

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

I'm not asking the question but I wonder what the people on here who can afford £10k bikes earn in a day? I'm guessing more than the cost of a Hambini bb. They earn it because of their training, their expertise, their work ethic, their skill, their value to the organisation they work for etc. I don't earn much but I've had two bbright hambini bbs in two different bikes. They've immediately cured creaking, changed the way the bike felt when pedalling, and have lasted and lasted. His customer service is brilliant too. Does he merit the equivalent of a day's pay for a product he designs and makes and which works because of his skill, experience, training etc? Ymmv but as far as I'm concerned he does.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:55 pm
His design will also increase the bb stiffness, especially for bikes with two separate alu cups bonded into the frame
I keep reading this but I don't believe it for a second. Any cups bonded in a frame BB are not moving or flexing. And remember that the crank itself is a solid cylinder. I just cannot see anyway that this BB will stiffen things up.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

The simple answer is NO. It’s a terrible value and a dura ace BB at 1/10 the cost is built to a good enough standard. There are also other upgrade BB’s for ½ the price with a lot of the bells and whistles.

With that said, I’m sure that its cost represents the level of time/effort to make it and it should be exactly as described.
As much as I love threaded BB’s on mountain and cross bikes, I’m going to miss a good single piece BB for road bikes. They are better and it’s too bad manufactures can’t get there head out of there asses and produce a correctly speced one.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Alexbn921 wrote:The simple answer is NO. It’s a terrible value and a dura ace BB at 1/10 the cost is built to a good enough standard. There are also other upgrade BB’s for ½ the price with a lot of the bells and whistles.

With that said, I’m sure that its cost represents the level of time/effort to make it and it should be exactly as described.
As much as I love threaded BB’s on mountain and cross bikes, I’m going to miss a good single piece BB for road bikes. They are better and it’s too bad manufactures can’t get there head out of there asses and produce a correctly speced one.
There is only one BB infinite that is a little bit cheaper, only for US

Lewn777

by Lewn777

robbosmans wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:People saying that a Hambini was great for a press-fit BB replacement, fine. I can imagine it was a good investment as they are fundamentally different design to OEM products. His pressfits are £180-200 including tax, made with good quality bearings and alloy instead of plastic cups and a different design, in an area where alignment is very important, I get it, I think it's a good investment.

He uses NTN bearings, basically the best bearings money can buy, they have a better durability and lower friction than ceramicspeed, kogel, etc.

Its probably the best bb you can buy, and It will probably outlast any other bb on the market
Nice bearings, as good as any good steel bearing such as SKF, FAG, NSK etc to name any other good bearings. His opinion is that NTN are the best bearings, however he also thinks Boeing are shit and Airbus are wonderful and is clearly full of petty baises. Also how much does it cost to machine some alloy cups? Not a lot. How you can possibly know that his new BB will be smoother running and outlast others and be stiffer than others like Shimano Dura-Ace or Hope? You can't. Nobody has tested them. Personally I think he is charging about twice as much as I'd ever pay for about the most common type of BB on the market no matter how good, when Dura Ace costs £35 including tax and postage, completely pointless especially if you have an alloy frame and likely pointless for carbon. I've never had many problems with BSA in terms of smooth spin, alignment or early wear and I've owned about 10 bikes with BSA BB's including MTBs. Sounds like throwing money away on 'upgrade' parts for no sensible reason.

Quite simply fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Lewn777 wrote:
robbosmans wrote:

Nice bearings, as good as any good steel bearing such as SKF, FAG, NSK etc to name any other good bearings. His opinion is that NTN are the best bearings, however he also thinks Boeing are shit and Airbus are wonderful and is clearly full of petty baises. Also how much does it cost to machine some alloy cups? Not a lot. How you can possibly know that his new BB will be smoother running and outlast others and be stiffer than others like Shimano Dura-Ace or Hope? You can't. Nobody has tested them. Personally I think he is charging about twice as much as I'd ever pay for about the most common type of BB on the market no matter how good, when Dura Ace costs £35 including tax and postage, completely pointless especially if you have an alloy frame and likely pointless for carbon. I've never had many problems with BSA in terms of smooth spin, alignment or early wear and I've owned about 10 bikes with BSA BB's including MTBs. Sounds like throwing money away on 'upgrade' parts for no sensible reason.
So you just started this thread rant about it?

Manufacturing is expensive, especially in small numbers.

He jokes around a lot so you dont have to believe everything he says, and he tested the bearings himself, like many other things he tested

Lewn777

by Lewn777

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:21 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
robbosmans wrote:

So you just started this thread rant about it?

Manufacturing is expensive, especially in small numbers.

He jokes around a lot so you dont have to believe everything he says, and he tested the bearings himself, like many other things he tested
What is it about someone else having a different opinion to you that you can't tolerate? I think his BSA BB is terrible value for money. You don't. Attacking me and defending him will NEVER convince me. Waste your money if you like, I couldn't care less. :thumbup:

madik

by madik

This debate is absurd. People complaining about overpriced products here on WW... Grow up or at least be consistent and start bitching about paying premium in other threads about actually expensive things like 3 thousand dollars wheels sets or $5k frames which production value is like 10% of what the companies charge to the costumers.
And here paying 200 EUR extra for something high quality that can solve problems and improve feeling on the bike and is hand made in UK is a rip off..
Functionality > Performance > Weight

AJS914

by AJS914

What problems does it solve? It's a BSA BB.

There is no doubt it is a finely made piece but it's legitamate to discuss the value proposition of various solutions and upgrades.

maccpres

by maccpres

You don't need it until you hear a creak. Then what is a silent bike worth?

kgt

by kgt

What I cannot understand is why someone starts a thread asking other people’s opinions if he already thinks that he has the answer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

robbosmans

by robbosmans

kgt wrote:What I cannot understand is why someone starts a thread asking other people’s opinions if he already thinks that he has the answer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly