Luescher Teknik's Thoughts on new bikes

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 6620
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

bilwit, IIRC, the Time frame was sent to Raoul because it was literally unrideable...the FD hanger drillings weren't even close to being in the right location. I’m not sure how anyone can call that “bang on perfect” because I put that in the “never should have left the factory” category. On top of that, it had pretty major crack at the ST/SS junction and not enough adhesive was used around the ST/seatpost insert.

ichobi
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

by ichobi

Thats why i said this is all a perfect example of availability bias. The samples these youtube channels deal with are TINY compared to what are being sold in the market, yet we way overstated its importance. If you look hard enough you will find fault with all brands. There is no point championing one over the other. It’s pointless. We are dealing with stupid small sample size. All brands, mass produced, make both perfect and shit frames. It’s nice that we get to learn something from these youtube channel, but as apparent in both Hambini and Raoul videos they often have contradicting conclusion. Hambini like Look frams, Raoul found one of his sample terrible. Hambini got a terrible Canyon sample, Raoul got a perfectly fine one. No conclusion, or overarching statement about any of these brands can be made. Really.

That’s why you will have to buy from reputable brands that have reputable dealer networks.

Time might make the best frame in the world (i am not in this camp) but with failing business and one of the worst dealer network, this is not where I want to spend my money. If something goes wrong with my Time and i have to wait months for replacement, then it’s not worth it for me.

For the same amount of money I will go fully custom, with a builder I can talk to or visit face to face. In fact I just made a deposit for Mark Hester, Who makes Prova bike.

by Weenie


jlok
Posts: 1402
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

bilwit wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm
nachetetm wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:44 pm
ichobi wrote:Such a nice example of the availability bias. Just because hambini put up one video pointing out that all Canyon aeroad he has dealt with has TERriBle bb alignment and roundness issue, many people assume that all of them are out of wack, and Canyon is a terrible producer, as apparent in many post on this forum.

People believe what they want to believe, in the way they want to believe. Image
The frames that Hambini get should have never leave the factory. If those frames can get passed the quality control, you can expect that they won't be outliers, but relatively common. The fact that he also get good frames, and those tend to come from certain brands, shows that not all the frames are made equally.
Someone also points that some brands found ways to manufacture more economically. Well, I would like to see that reflected in the final price...
This. I don't see why this is so hard to understand. Yes, he deals with the lowest common denominator--the worst case scenario--for these brands and yes, not every single frame will be like this, but if I gave you a frame choice of two brands and told you that if you took each individually at its worst, one has the potential to be complete and utter garbage that probably shouldn't exist in the first place and the other--again, at worst--is pretty much bang on perfect, which would you say is the superior brand?
I would accept such quality control IF the frameset is selling at 1/3 the current MSRP (and if the frameset fits me of course). This world of
marketing is having a good time churning people's income.

In short, given the findings I consider those pretty carbon framesets are way overpriced.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

3Pio
Posts: 1468
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm

by 3Pio

robertbb wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:14 am
kgt wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:02 am
After my second ban in a couple of years without any warning or explanation and for no reason I decided not to loose time in this forum any more. I have much better things to do.
Ditto, only it was my first ban recently. Zero warning, zero explanation. Over it. Let the usual suspects write in every single thread on every single topic as though they know best and whinge when they get challenged or called out. Or feel the need to tell everyone how their own choice of frame, gruppo, wheels is the bestest evvvarrr. I'm done.
I also got banned twice in last 6 months: FIrst Dangerous Kardashian Type influencer and PopCorn eaters was not satisfiied from my response in thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155723&start=600#p1560251

After a while i got banned again for really no reason after i started topic viewtopic.php?t=161769 .. And since then (more than 2 months) i decided to stop contributing to this forum which become just Marketing Extension of big companies and very little a valuable source of real valuable information sharing between users.. BTW, in meanwhile i bought another new rim brake bike, so now definetely not going Disc in next 10-15 years for sure.. (By then im almost sure Rim brake bikes will be back again similar as BB getting back to threads again)

And i really hate when someone trying to control the conversation and ideas of users.. And without any warning, or without any reply to submit bans if it's not by will of companies they represent .... Administrators of this Forum, shame of u.. U can be very good dictators in some Dystopian Society.... And I would be almost insulted if u dont ban me again for this post..
Last edited by 3Pio on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

3Pio wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:59 am
And since then (more than 2 months) i decided to stop contributing to this forum which become just Marketing Extension of big companies and very little a valuable source of real valuable information sharing between users..
My thoughts exactly.
I am member of this forum since 2006 and, suddenly, the moderators decided that my opinions are not welcomed any more.
I had asked a few times whether this forum is related to any company in any way. I never got a response.
So, I am not going to play their game. They can keep promoting their golden fortune cookies but, sorry, I am not buying.

Cycomanic
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:10 pm

by Cycomanic

kgt wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:29 am
3Pio wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:59 am
And since then (more than 2 months) i decided to stop contributing to this forum which become just Marketing Extension of big companies and very little a valuable source of real valuable information sharing between users..
My thoughts exactly.
I am member of this forum since 2006 and, suddenly, the moderators decided that my opinions are not welcomed any more.
I had asked a few times whether this forum is related to any company in any way. I never got a response.
So, I am not going to play their game. They can keep promoting their golden fortune cookies but, sorry, I am not buying.
I find that quite worrying. I always found your very informative and insightful. Hambini also mentioned in is recent video that he's been banned without any explanation. I understand the need for moderation, otherwise forums often develop into a cesspool very quickly. But using banning to remove opinons/users one doesn't like is quite a different mattter.

RoadiefromMN
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:21 am

by RoadiefromMN

robertbb wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:14 am
kgt wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:02 am
After my second ban in a couple of years without any warning or explanation and for no reason I decided not to loose time in this forum any more. I have much better things to do.
Ditto, only it was my first ban recently. Zero warning, zero explanation. Over it. Let the usual suspects write in every single thread on every single topic as though they know best and whinge when they get challenged or called out. Or feel the need to tell everyone how their own choice of frame, gruppo, wheels is the bestest evvvarrr. I'm done.
And yet you're still here.

mrfish
Posts: 1718
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:49 pm
Location: Near Horgen, Switzerland

by mrfish

So what got you banned? I always appreciated both of your posts, and generally learned a couple of things. Seems weird to me if you weren't writing more than you would say while sitting opposite someone.

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 3587
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

You both got banned for antagonizing others and taking threads off topic.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

robertbb
Posts: 1613
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by robertbb

Rubbish. Happens 50 times a day.

We (3Pio, kgt, myself.... the list goes on) got banned because a few people are sensitive snowflakes who can't handle being critiqued or called out, and the mods are useless power trippers. I emailed the mods 3 times for an explanation and got nada.

I occasionally read these forums still (combination of habit and lockdown boredom), but will not be providing any assistance, experience or generally contributing any more.

Juanmoretime is/was the only mod with integrity. His departure (and actions) speaks volumes.

(Watch this earn me another ban. :roll: )

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 6620
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

I thought Juanmoretime left because a few "holier than thou" forum members incessantly accused him of being a corporate/brand bootlicker re: archiving the first 2020 Emonda thread.

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

robertbb wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:40 am
Rubbish. Happens 50 times a day.
+1
Just a ridiculous excuse...

velov
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:09 am

by velov

Just swinging the thread back on track....

Raoul's thoughts on a C50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61W6PG3kbmo

AJS914
Posts: 4344
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm

by AJS914

Interesting cut up. Most of his complaints about voids are in the lugs.

So many people hot and bothered in the comments. This is afterall a 15-20 year old frameset that has been well used.

by Weenie


TobinHatesYou
Posts: 6620
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

AJS914 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:34 am
Interesting cut up. Most of his complaints about voids are in the lugs.

So many people hot and bothered in the comments. This is afterall a 15-20 year old frameset that has been well used.

The spatial voids aren't from the frame being well used, but poor compaction. The planar voids are likely from a combination of not enough resin and age/use. I'd be more lenient than Luescher since most 15 year old frames probably have similar problems, but man that ST-seatstay joint bond is, well it's non-existent. Also the damage to the carbon layup at each bottle mount drilling and the FD hanger drilling...yikes.

Post Reply