Californian dream?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

maxim809

by maxim809

Just to be crystal clear, I'm a SoCal kid that spent much of his adult life in Central Coast and Northern California, so my only purpose in life is to low-key treat NorCal like it's the opposing high-school and dig on it, buuuuuut....

Also... +1 on Levi's Gran Fondo. The different sceneries you go through on that course is wild (Sleepy vineyards, Redwood forests, ocean views, exposed hill climbs, Ridge Views). Just a snippet from the Levi course:

2013 Cannondale Synapse | 2015 LaPierre Pulsium | 2016 Pinarello Dogma F8 | 2016 Bianchi XR4 | 2019 Spesh Sprint

gurk700

by gurk700

Bay Area > SoCal ;)

by Weenie

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:50 am
Then again, I wouldn't plan on vacationing in the USA in 2021 because we're idiots.
Althyough born in Canada, I learned to walk and talk and read and write in the good ole USA. I still have a beach condo in Sarasota Florida and have travelled to California many times to ride (and Oregon once) so I my criticism are not some simple type of anti-American jingoism.

If you live in Europe, almost anywhere in Europe, you can do better than anywhere in the USA. There are some lovely little corners of the USA that have first class riding, but they are few and far between. In general you will find more cars, busier roads, and more people in pickup trucks who think buzzing cyclists is the national sport. Cycling is not just not part of the culture, to many it represents something they hate. OTOH, no matter where you are in Europe, no matter how much of a cycling backwater, you can get in your car and in less then a day drive to paradise.

I live in the Pacific northwest (Vancouver Island) in perhaps one of the most beautiful and cycling friendly places in North America. Plus we have all the burgers and English you could handle. And still I would trade a month of riding here for a single good day in one of dozens of European cycling destinations. You got it good - don't take it for granted.

Maybe go visit kingtom in Switzerland if you want a change of scenery.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

hold up .. Bay area better than So Cal .. no i think you might want to put down the crack pipe ...

So Cal and surrounding areas are great.
Diablo its ok(ish). Mt Tam pretty nice but you got loads of traffic and only a few real routes plus Bay Area riders are a bit snotty.. :welcome:
What else you got ? Mt Hamilton .great but its not really Bay area right ? Santa Cruz is dope no doubt.
Nappa too many drunk aholes in rental SUV's going wine tasting.
Santa Rosa is nice too but that is not Bay Area..
:mrgreen:
Why not spend a few days in Nor Cal riding, then ride down the PCH (Monterey/Santa Cruz) checking in to Santa Barbara to do a day or two of nice riding (Gibraltar/Figueroa/Solvang)
then ride a few days down in So Cal.. you could do a couple of great days in the Santa Monica mountains, a few days out of Pasadena area (Mt Wilson, Highwy 39/ Dawsons Saddle/ Mt Baldy and check out some dirt riding too,Verdugos etc) and you can even ride up top to Arrowhead / big Bear ?

I have loads of routes if you want just send me a message.

Also time of year is a consideration... Winter So Cal is open .. Nor Cal might be better for summer.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

psg wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:53 pm
I live at the base of Mt Baldy in Claremont, which is technically on the edge of LA County, but is not typically LA. We have a very strong cycling community out here, and this is training grounds for a lot of really good riders (think Williams brothers, for example).

To answer OP directly, when I'm thinking of visiting a new place and doing my own thing, I like to cherrypick off of the itineraries of guided travel companies (say, like Contiki). The first thing that comes to mind is cherrypicking from the Rapha travel route that they used to run out here. I'm trying to find the official page of it, but their one week tour was something like this, and I was even able to find their routes on RidewithGPS:
START/FINISH
Los Angeles / San Diego

TOTAL DISTANCE
590 miles

TOTAL ELEVATION GAIN
67,000 feet

KEY CLIMBS
Stunt, Piuma Canyon, San Gabriel Canyon, Glendora Ridge Road, Mount Baldy, Palomar
Day 1: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31405624
Day 2: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31405625
Day 3: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46924831
Day 4: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31405627
Day 5: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31405629
Day 6: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31440624

Alternatively, I really love riding and altitude training in the Eastern Sierras (think Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, Bishop, Yosemite). There's a paperback book you can probably find on eBay that has every popular route you can imagine.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Biking-Cali ... 0982615469

Oh, and if you want good beer and burgers, just ride in San Diego. :D

Edit:
Looks like this company picked up where Rapha left off. Oof, $5100...
https://www.raidcycling.cc/southern-california

HaHa .. thanks ! the Route for the Rapha Randonnee i made that. Glad you like.. its a big 6 day point to point but well wothh the effort.. :thumbup:

Stendhal

by Stendhal

dolophonic wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 pm
What else you got ? Mt Hamilton .great but its not really Bay area right ?
Sure it is, I can see the observatory at the top from the front of my house (it mocks me). The ride is a 19 mile one-road climb from the eastern edge of the city of San Jose.

Your ride suggestions are excellent from what little time I have spent in SoCal! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Cervelo Aspero (7.75); Orbea Orca OMX (7.30)
Retired: S-Works Tarmac SL6, LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10\F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2\R3\R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

MoPho

by MoPho

dolophonic wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 pm
hold up .. Bay area better than So Cal .. no i think you might want to put down the crack pipe ...

So Cal and surrounding areas are great.
Diablo its ok(ish). Mt Tam pretty nice but you got loads of traffic and only a few real routes plus Bay Area riders are a bit snotty.. :welcome:
What else you got ? Mt Hamilton .great but its not really Bay area right ? Santa Cruz is dope no doubt.
Nappa too many drunk aholes in rental SUV's going wine tasting.
Santa Rosa is nice too but that is not Bay Area..
:mrgreen:
Why not spend a few days in Nor Cal riding, then ride down the PCH (Monterey/Santa Cruz) checking in to Santa Barbara to do a day or two of nice riding (Gibraltar/Figueroa/Solvang)
then ride a few days down in So Cal.. you could do a couple of great days in the Santa Monica mountains, a few days out of Pasadena area (Mt Wilson, Highwy 39/ Dawsons Saddle/ Mt Baldy and check out some dirt riding too,Verdugos etc) and you can even ride up top to Arrowhead / big Bear ?

I have loads of routes if you want just send me a message.

Also time of year is a consideration... Winter So Cal is open .. Nor Cal might be better for summer.
Having moved to the Bay Area from SoCal, I mostly agree with you, really miss living/riding in LA. A lot more route options, bigger cycling scene with great clubs (at least compared to the East Bay), weather is better year round, beach riding with great "views" (if you know what I mean) to get to other ride routes, etc.
BUT Mt Wilson, etc, is not really LA like you say Mt Hamilton is not the Bay Area. Santa Monica mts are amazing but very hot in summer and lots of cars and motorcyles use as a race track (I am guilty). Getting to the SM mountains from the city along the only route which is the PCH is nerve-racking, especially solo. There is a lot more traffic, and drivers are much less friendly to cyclists in LA than in the Bay Area.
Mt Diablo is in my backyard and it is really great because it is a toll road which keeps the traffic down on weekdays, sometimes don't see any cars. The Mt Tam/Alpine Dam route along the coast is world class and not to be missed, but you are right, if you get the timing wrong and it is filled with tourists traffic, get it right and it is absolutely amazing!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

another SoCal to NorCal transplant here.. Grew up in "the nard" near PCH so Santa Monica mountains was my normal scene.. very much missed.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

uraqt

by uraqt

ok so to end the Mt Hamiton argument

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Bay_Area

And just because I am a total ass.. how is the smog in LA? look I live in Bay Area and my weekend 60 miles with 4,000+ last ...most weekend 0 cars on the uphills and I don't car about cars on the downhills. Ocean, redwoods and smooth roads right LA is better, righ, sure...

As for the climbs

https://actc.org/routes/bg/index.php

C

PS and as I said before all the blogs and mags have said many times that Levi's route is one of the best rides/routes in the world ....

PSS as for the weather in Nor Cal I ride out side only and Gabba, Goretex and a rear fender on my seat post solved all my issues years and years ago..

PSSS The observatory mocks everyone that last bit is deadly !!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Bay Area does have far more wooded climbs than SoCal, whether Marin or the Woodside/Portola/La Honda/etc. Santa Cruz is just a way’s down highway 17. Also Mt. Hamilton is absolutely in the Bay Area...why wouldn’t it be? The base of the climb on Alum a Rock/130 is literally minutes from the water.

I’d still vote for Yosemite though, and the various passes like Sonora Pass and Tioga Pass.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

Moving this to Cycle Chat. Patrick, if you end up in LA area, let me know, I'd be more than happy to show you a few local awesome routes.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Im not arguing .. i like riding all over the place.. i have spent many times riding in the Bay Area.. its great.

If you were living in the city of SF ( Marina or Presidio etc ) you would ride to Hamilton ? or Diablo ? few times we rode Diablo we caught the train out and then rode ..
it was very nice.
I have done Hamilton RR several times.. great race.

No one mantioned Berkeley hills ?

Pasadena is in LA county.
All you Bay Area guys are just reinforcing your reputation .. chill and enjoy the ride.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dolophonic wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:50 pm
Im not arguing .. i like riding all over the place.. i have spent many times riding in the Bay Area.. its great.

If you were living in the city of SF ( Marina or Presidio etc ) you would ride to Hamilton ? or Diablo ? few times we rode Diablo we caught the train out and then rode ..
it was very nice.
I have done Hamilton RR several times.. great race.

No one mantioned Berkeley hills ?

Pasadena is in LA county.
All you Bay Area guys are just reinforcing your reputation .. chill and enjoy the ride.

We’re not arguing...just informing you Mt. Hamilton is definitively part of the Bay Area.

Anyway, public transit exists. I live on the peninsula and would probably ride to CalTrain, switch to BART and Millbrae and then take that all the way to Walnut Creek to ride a Diablo. When I ride in Marin I usually drive to the Marina and ride across the GG. I rarely ride Berkeley Hills and I drive down to Mt. Hamilton. Mostly I just ride the Woodside/Portola area and the other side of Skyline. It’s easy to string together a big day of climbing with OLH, Kings, Page Mill, Alpine, Tunitas Creek, etc. It’s like Potrero, Latigo, Encinal Canyon, Mulholland, Yerba Buena/Deer Creek, but with more shade.

And yes, Pasadena and the Montrose ride and Baldy are definitely part of LA. Was that ever in doubt?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

All the good spots in California are really good. But it just not worth a trip accross the ocean if you are anywhere in Europe. On one epic ride out of San Fran, covering most of the best roads all the way up to close to Santa Rosa, and then back, got to Mount Tam looking forward to a rockin decent to finish the day, and it was bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic most of the way down the mountain. Can't say I've ever experienced a traffic jam in the Pyreness etc.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AJS914

by AJS914

If you live in Europe then coming to California is likely a great adventure.

I always did Mt. Tam clockwise. Climb out of Mill Valley and then return on Bolinas-Fairfax Road.

The California Dream though is not what it used to be. I was born in the Bay Area 54 years ago. I've been road riding since I was 13. The population, housing, and traffic has expanded substantially. What used to be country roads with farms and fields are now covered with mini mansions. You can still obviously find some great riding but you'll deal with a lot of cars in some areas.

by Weenie