Strava Local Legends - meh

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lewn777

by Lewn777

No worries Dirteous, you post was far more balanced and reasoned than my post deserved. I love Strava and can't live without it, but I feel very frustrated by the way that it's run.

by Weenie

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I just got a local legend status feeling very proud of myself lol

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Strava has made a big push recently to get more subscribers, mostly by limiting the free features. I started using it in 2012, started paying in 2013 and did so until mid-2019. I became frustrated that I had paid $60 USD/year and the service was almost exactly the same as it was in 2013. I was OK with the free site until the restrictions kicked in, now I am back paying to be a subscriber. Local Legends is not really of much use, just shows you who in your neighbourhood is riding more than you are! I would rather they put back in the segment rankings they had for "fastest time of the year" (this was 2015ish). This gave a ranking for the best times of the year on a segment. Still a bit hollow, but not as much as Local Legends.

What I would really like Strava to do with my subscription money is work on an algorithm to filter out e-Bike rides vs human-powered rides. Right now, this is 100% user-dependent and I think it is farcical that people don't self-flag their rides as e-Bike. My uber competitive Stravatard days are mostly behind me, but when I look at the ranking on a local climb and see a guy on an e-Bike in the top-5 I just shake my head.

AJS914

by AJS914

They want you to flag it. Strava would rather have a million users using their brains and clicks to do what they could easily do with an algorithm. Stuff like this boggles the mind. If I can easily see the most blatant e-bike rides then an algorithm must be able to do it a lot better. I'm sure there are things they could look at in the GPS files to give them clues I couldn't see with my eyes.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have flagged rides because of ppl driving thier vehicles through Segments with thier device recording and nothing was done about it. This was from 2018 and this particular individual did this with more than a couple, "so called rides" around our area. I flagged the ones I thought were outrageous average speeds but it still irritates me that some segments still have him as KOM. I was a premium member in 2018 and that was one of many reasons I decided not to pay any longer. Reason number two was I got a KOM according to my time for a certain segment but instead of the KOM award I got the PB instead and not once but 3 times this happened and then finally on the fourth successful try I got the KOM.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

maquisard

by maquisard

Just became a local legent for riding my commute... it is pointless

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Bigger Gear wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 pm
my What I would really like Strava to do with my subscription money is work on an algorithm to filter out e-Bike rides vs human-powered rides. Right now, this is 100% user-dependent and I think it is farcical that people don't self-flag their rides as e-Bike. My uber competitive Stravatard days are mostly behind me, but when I look at the ranking on a local climb and see a guy on an e-Bike in the top-5 I just shake my head.
This ^^^.
I my father is elderly and has a commuter type e-bike, I can easily ride it to get a KOM I like. It has 250watts plus my watts from a Bosch system. It weighs a ton so a real road bike ebike would just make things even easier If I wanted to I have ways to fudge the data to make it look like it was a real ride. It would at least make sense for Strava to require HR and power data for the KOM, not infallible, but would at least make things moderately hard to cheat.

Nplus1

by Nplus1

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:52 pm
*snip*

I also think expiring the title every calendar year would be good for Strava. If the local legend moves out town or stops riding then they lose their crown on 12/31.
Local Legend status is based on a rolling 90-day period measured from the current day, so you will lose the title if you stop riding for whatever reason.

TheRich

by TheRich

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:46 pm
I have flagged rides because of ppl driving thier vehicles through Segments with thier device recording and nothing was done about it. This was from 2018 and this particular individual did this with more than a couple, "so called rides" around our area. I flagged the ones I thought were outrageous average speeds but it still irritates me that some segments still have him as KOM. I was a premium member in 2018 and that was one of many reasons I decided not to pay any longer. Reason number two was I got a KOM according to my time for a certain segment but instead of the KOM award I got the PB instead and not once but 3 times this happened and then finally on the fourth successful try I got the KOM.
I've had this happen, but after a few clicks to recalculate results over the space of a few days it finally updated.

I figured it was caused by my privacy settings set to Initially make all rides private but a ghost in the machine is just as likely.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have checked my privacy settings and they have been updated so a couple new KOMs showed up which was kind a nice. But one segment we have where I tried four times getting a PB instead of what should have been KOMs is strange as my wife was looking to get a KOM on that very road in the same section only heading in the opposite direction and she had the same issues as I did. Tried three times with PBs that should have been KOMs. Took two weeks before it showed as a KOM. She is the one who mentioned to me to search privacy settings are checked as public.
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:06 am
I have checked my privacy settings and they have been updated so a couple new KOMs showed up which was kind a nice. But one segment we have where I tried four times getting a PB instead of what should have been KOMs is strange as my wife was looking to get a KOM on that very road in the same section only heading in the opposite direction and she had the same issues as I did. Tried three times with PBs that should have been KOMs. Took two weeks before it showed as a KOM. She is the one who mentioned to me to search privacy settings are checked as public.
This is happening to many. I've PRs and KOMs not be updated to the leaderboards in the past few weeks, also friends reporting the same thing. One has to think Strava is likely struggling to keep up with its massive database in the pandemic. The past 6 months has seen so many people worldwide getting back into activity: walking, hiking, running, cycling etc. I would not be surprised if the Strava user base has grown by hundreds of thousands.

Still, for a company that made a big push to get its users to support them financially by clipping many of the free features it's had since inception and hiding them for subscription only, this is not a good look. I re-upped with Strava after taking a year off from subscription (was paid from 2012 to 2019, then did not renew) and I'm not too happy that it is buggy and slow to handle data.

AJS914

by AJS914

It could be a cost containment strategy. They have a system that costs per query. I'm also guessing that this is the real reason why they made the leaderboards premium. It was costing them on the backend every time a free user looked at them.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I guess when you have 50 Million users around the globe the site might get bogged down abit. This was pre covid so Im sure there are more ppl joining up. If Strava improved their data analysis for pwr and hr then I might be more inclined to take out a subscription but the way it is now makes for very little incentive to buy.
I agree that the KOMs should have pwr and or hr attached in order to acheive them because we have more ppl in our area that look pretty suspicious in the way they have stolen KOMs. Someone with very little base, weighs not much more than 100lbs and can peddle a questionable bike at an avg of 63.4km/h in a segment thats 720 meters long with no hr or pwr data. Give me a break, eventually he will get flagged when a little time passes so he is not to sure who is flagging.
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake

TheRich

by TheRich

Short segments are better left ignored.

I had someone crush a MTB KOM which seemed pretty insurmountable and when I hit the analyze button on the guy's effort, there was a GPS glitch and he warped down the trail. I had a four second gap to second place at 55 seconds and he did it in 50.

It is what it is.