Strava Local Legends - meh

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

I really don't see the point of this feature. Whoever lives near the climb will get the 'laurels' because they commute up it every day. I just don't care about 'beating' someone on a climb in terms of amount ridden in 90 days, I'm looking for new interesting climbs not trying to bore myself to death with repetition of the same old thing. Also it's only available on cell phone and then men and women are split which is pointless because it's not about physical fitness it's supposed to be about determination, surely a field where men and women are equal if ever there was one. Really this is the best they can come up with? They must have the imagination ability of Svetlodork District number 2, People's left hand shoe factory number 3, Primary School number 6 accounts department. :roll:

How about a cycling 'bucket list' of achievements that might actually excite cyclists?
-Ride an Everest/virtual Everest
-Ride a cat2/cat1/HC climb
-Ride in more than 2/3/4/5 countries
-Race in a Sportive
-Ride 100kms on dirt
-Ride 100kms in under 3 hours, ride 200kms in under 6/7hours
-Climb over 5000/6000/7000/8000/9000/10000 metres in a single ride
-Ride over 200/300/400/500/600kms in a single ride
-Complete a world famous epic climb
etc etc

sychen
Posts: 1146
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:06 pm

by sychen

Lewn777 wrote:I really don't see the point of this feature. Whoever lives near the climb will get the 'laurels' because they commute up it every day. I just don't care about 'beating' someone on a climb in terms of amount ridden in 90 days, I'm looking for new interesting climbs not trying to bore myself to death with repetition of the same old thing. Also it's only available on cell phone and then men and women are split which is pointless because it's not about physical fitness it's supposed to be about determination, surely a field where men and women are equal if ever there was one. Really this is the best they can come up with? They must have the imagination ability of Svetlodork District number 2, People's left hand shoe factory number 3, Primary School number 6 accounts department. :roll:

How about a cycling 'bucket list' of achievements that might actually excite cyclists?
-Ride an Everest/virtual Everest
-Ride a cat2/cat1/HC climb
-Ride in more than 2/3/4/5 countries
-Race in a Sportive
-Ride 100kms on dirt
-Ride 100kms in under 3 hours, ride 200kms in under 6/7hours
-Climb over 5000/6000/7000/8000/9000/10000 metres in a single ride
-Ride over 200/300/400/500/600kms in a single ride
-Complete a world famous epic climb
etc etc
Agree with the meh aspect of this "feature".
A mate done a bunch of Everests on a short climb and have 1700 reps over 90 days. Big whoop.. No one cares how many reps but only the made up achievements that the reps make up.

Really is a lame attempt to create another KOM like buzzword for the platform.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk


by Weenie


AJS914
Posts: 4344
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm

by AJS914

I agree. I just got their email. It's quantity over quality.

Why not let the local legend be the person with the 10 fastest times on the segment? Or the 10 fastest times in the calendar year so that there can be a new local legend every year? That would at least keep the Phil Gaimons out of the local list. Or maybe even tie it to where the rider lives. Your home town needs to be near the segment to be a local legend.

There is so much they could do. It's amazing that this is all the brain trust there could come up with with all their VC millions. Maybe Strava is run by people that don't ride?

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:43 pm
I agree. I just got their email. It's quantity over quality.

Why not let the local legend be the person with the 10 fastest times on the segment? Or the 10 fastest times in the calendar year so that there can be a new local legend every year? That would at least keep the Phil Gaimons out of the local list. Or maybe even tie it to where the rider lives. Your home town needs to be near the segment to be a local legend.

There is so much they could do. It's amazing that this is all the brain trust there could come up with with all their VC millions. Maybe Strava is run by people that don't ride?
Agree, it's got to be run by joggers and 2nd rate computer programmers, parking lot probably stuffed with SUVs. Lot's of complaining about 'dammed cyclists' whilst lardman chows down another burger at the terminal.

DirtiousDirte
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:18 pm

by DirtiousDirte

Sounds like local legends wasn't intended for you guys.

I believe the intention is to encourage people who may never get a Kom to get out more. I could see this leading to better fitness for those individuals and, who knows, may lead to a better chance at a Kom one day.

I like the families achievement idea though. That's a cool idea and would certainly encourage people to do more out on the bike.

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

DirtiousDirte wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:48 pm
Sounds like local legends wasn't intended for you guys.

I believe the intention is to encourage people who may never get a Kom to get out more. I could see this leading to better fitness for those individuals and, who knows, may lead to a better chance at a Kom one day.

I like the families achievement idea though. That's a cool idea and would certainly encourage people to do more out on the bike.
Hmm sounds like you work for Strava or somehow enjoying the opportunity to be contrarian.
Most cyclists love riding and riding new places, doing more things and sometimes even box ticking or achievement acquiring.

Look at the popularity of Zwift achievements https://zwiftinsider.com/route-achievement-badges/, or even the new Everesting achievement badges https://everesting.cc/achievements/. Strava with an ounce of imagination could do something even more exciting, we've all asked a million times and gotten the brush off like Labrador turd and they turn around and give us this half-baked shite, yet you come on defending them... :roll:

bikeboy1tr
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Southern Ontario Canada

by bikeboy1tr

I have found this Local Legend stuff to be rather lame and sometimes I raz ppl that get the title but unfortunately I have earned one of these badges so I expect to get some razzing in return. I am sure they could come up with something with a little more imagination. A local rider on the days of Equinox rode 500km in one day, perhaps they could call that a local legend I know he is in my mind.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Discodan
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:55 am

by Discodan

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:01 pm
Hmm sounds like you work for Strava or somehow enjoying the opportunity to be contrarian.
Hmm, glad to see you're really open to considering alternative points of view. I think DirtiousDirte was right on the money, we're not the target market of this feature but just because it doesn't appeal or make sense to us doesn't mean I'm going to rubbish it. If it encourages someone to go for an extra ride a week or take a detour on the way home then what's not to like?

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

Discodan wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:59 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:01 pm
Hmm sounds like you work for Strava or somehow enjoying the opportunity to be contrarian.
Hmm, glad to see you're really open to considering alternative points of view. I think DirtiousDirte was right on the money, we're not the target market of this feature but just because it doesn't appeal or make sense to us doesn't mean I'm going to rubbish it. If it encourages someone to go for an extra ride a week or take a detour on the way home then what's not to like?
Why should I be open to other points of view if they contain absolutely zero argument other than a hunch that this feature might be good for new riders or those incapable of obtaining a KOM? I have some KOMs, but none with a decent number of riders or any pros or neo-pros whom I can't get near unless it's a technical downhill segment. Therefore this feature seems to me for the older rider that isn't super light and rides a lot or for someone that rides a lot but isn't actually super fit or is getting into shape, I fit into the first demographic, yet I find this feature totally unappealing. Strava meeting 'we've failed to sell the app and site, failed to advertise on it properly, and failed to sell the data. We need to charge the users more, quick we need something that can easily be incorporated into the code to give the users new features...any ideas?

It's a pointless feature that was implemented probably because it was easy to code into the system. I also don't buy that it's a feature for new riders, because you need to ride a segment again and again and many new riders generally don't do that. People with the 'local legend status' will be people that 1. Live next to the climb (many won't even know they have the 'laurels' or care) 2. It's on their daily commute route. 3. Everesters. So really how many people are going to ride to a local climb where someone else has 70 climbs in the last 90 days because it's on their commute route to win the 'Laurels' from them? Purely an exercise in self-flagellating repetition. An Everesting is at least something hard to achieve and with a fun network of supportive riders.

Strava's website is covered in imaginative feature requests made by cyclists and ignored pathologically.

It's cool to say I'm wrong, but you really need to come up with some convincing argument why, which you've failed to do. So come on, why is this feature good then? Waiting.....
Last edited by Lewn777 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

CarlosFerreiro
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Shetland, Scotland

by CarlosFerreiro

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:35 am
How about a cycling 'bucket list' of achievements that might actually excite cyclists?
-Ride an Everest/virtual Everest
-Ride a cat2/cat1/HC climb
-Ride in more than 2/3/4/5 countries
-Race in a Sportive
-Ride 100kms on dirt
-Ride 100kms in under 3 hours, ride 200kms in under 6/7hours
-Climb over 5000/6000/7000/8000/9000/10000 metres in a single ride
-Ride over 200/300/400/500/600kms in a single ride
-Complete a world famous epic climb
etc etc
I made up a similar kind of local themed annual challenge list for our club, to give try and kick start some more out of the ordinary thinking on routes.
Nobody bothered with it :cry:
Veloviewer edges into some of those kinds of things, ride distances, times and elevation gains "badges".

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

CarlosFerreiro wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:11 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:35 am
How about a cycling 'bucket list' of achievements that might actually excite cyclists?
-Ride an Everest/virtual Everest
-Ride a cat2/cat1/HC climb
-Ride in more than 2/3/4/5 countries
-Race in a Sportive
-Ride 100kms on dirt
-Ride 100kms in under 3 hours, ride 200kms in under 6/7hours
-Climb over 5000/6000/7000/8000/9000/10000 metres in a single ride
-Ride over 200/300/400/500/600kms in a single ride
-Complete a world famous epic climb
etc etc
I made up a similar kind of local themed annual challenge list for our club, to give try and kick start some more out of the ordinary thinking on routes.
Nobody bothered with it :cry:
Veloviewer edges into some of those kinds of things, ride distances, times and elevation gains "badges".
It's hard to compare a small cycle club with an international community containing hundreds of thousands of riders. It sounds like someone's cycle shop failure theory. 'Fred started a cycle shop, it went out of business. Therefore Dave shouldn't open a cycle shop it's bound to go out of business'.

CarlosFerreiro
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Shetland, Scotland

by CarlosFerreiro

No, I think if Strava did it, so it all happened automatically, then it could get take up, but important to avoid any set up hurdles that make for interia to overcome before the takes off. Like how there doesn't seem to be much Veloviewer tile exploring interest from folk on here?
But plenty of Strava goals they could do that seem cool to me, but then again my club goals seemed cool to me too ;-)

KH
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:56 pm

by KH

Yeah, it's bollocks. And, as stated above, they have resolutely ignored many clever suggestions proposed by the frustrated userbase. For me the most useful thing they could do is to offer a better solution to the ongoing e bike fiasco.

DirtiousDirte
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:18 pm

by DirtiousDirte

Lewn777 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:36 am
Discodan wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:59 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:01 pm
Hmm sounds like you work for Strava or somehow enjoying the opportunity to be contrarian.
Hmm, glad to see you're really open to considering alternative points of view. I think DirtiousDirte was right on the money, we're not the target market of this feature but just because it doesn't appeal or make sense to us doesn't mean I'm going to rubbish it. If it encourages someone to go for an extra ride a week or take a detour on the way home then what's not to like?
Why should I be open to other points of view if they contain absolutely zero argument other than a hunch that this feature might be good for new riders or those incapable of obtaining a KOM? I have some KOMs, but none with a decent number of riders or any pros or neo-pros whom I can't get near unless it's a technical downhill segment. Therefore this feature seems to me for the older rider that isn't super light and rides a lot or for someone that rides a lot but isn't actually super fit or is getting into shape, I fit into the first demographic, yet I find this feature totally unappealing. Strava meeting 'we've failed to sell the app and site, failed to advertise on it properly, and failed to sell the data. We need to charge the users more, quick we need something that can easily be incorporated into the code to give the users new features...any ideas?

It's a pointless feature that was implemented probably because it was easy to code into the system. I also don't buy that it's a feature for new riders, because you need to ride a segment again and again and many new riders generally don't do that. People with the 'local legend status' will be people that 1. Live next to the climb (many won't even know they have the 'laurels' or care) 2. It's on their daily commute route. 3. Everesters. So really how many people are going to ride to a local climb where someone else has 70 climbs in the last 90 days because it's on their commute route to win the 'Laurels' from them? Purely an exercise in self-flagellating repetition. An Everesting is at least something hard to achieve and with a fun network of supportive riders.

Strava's website is covered in imaginative feature requests made by cyclists and ignored pathologically.

It's cool to say I'm wrong, but you really need to come up with some convincing argument why, which you've failed to do. So come on, why is this feature good then? Waiting.....
I appreciate the passion you bring to this.

I don't know much about programming so I can't speak on how easy it would be to impliment stuff so I'll just talk about the ideas themselves and not their implementation.

I agree with you about the achievements - I think it is an obvious thing for Strava to do, as you said. If you spend anytime on ZwiftInsider it is amazing how many people new to cycling became hooked on achieving these objectives in Zwift. I think it would be great to see this more developed in Strava. I believe the monthly challenges are in this vein of thought and it could be expanded.

Personally, I have no interest in local legends. I think it's interesting only in the sense that it will give something else other than KOMs for people to pursue (much like the achievements idea or the monthly challenges). There's quite a few randonneurs where I live and I could see them challenging each other. The second part of my thought is that if you are riding enough to claim a local legend, you are probably getting fitter, and this may open up the possibility of getting a KOM in the future - maybe quantity will lead to quality? You argue people won't know or care about having the local legends laurels but I disagree. Look at how many people do the monthly challenges. I would argue that by being here on Weight Weenies we are part of a very small subsection of cycling and local legends is outside of our narrow bubble. I don't think it takes much imagination to see how Local Legends would appeal to someone beyond this bubble.

I get the anger towards Strava with their total lack of support for their tried and true customers. I was a paying subscriber for years and finally cancelled earlier this year. Frankly, I just had enough. When I read about the more recent updates I subscribed for the trial, but given their history I just couldn't wrap my head around paying for their services again after so many years of stupidity. I have read lots of great suggestions over the years on their forums and have been pretty disappointed at their lack of response or implimentation.

I'm not sure what else to say. I felt like I owed you a response but I don't think I'll waste more time on this topic.

by Weenie


AJS914
Posts: 4344
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm

by AJS914

I was thinking about this more and I think the issue is mostly the name, not so much the feature. It's cool if they want a 'who did this segment the most' feature, fine. But to call the person a "local legend"....

We all know who the local legends are in our areas. You should actually be a bad ass to earn the title of "local legend".

I also think expiring the title every calendar year would be good for Strava. If the local legend moves out town or stops riding then they lose their crown on 12/31.

Post Reply