DIY Pro Level Repair Stand.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I've been using the same Feedback Ultra -Light repair stand for the last 12 years and it’s time for an upgrade. It seems like I’m running a bike shop with all the work I do on family and friend’s bikes. My stand gets used 5-7 days a week and is showing all that wear and tear.

I really wanted an efficient Velo tools EZ-lift, but $2500 is out of the question. :( Next best would be the Park PRS-3.2-2, but you can’t clamp on the ground and then lift. Third on the list would be the Feedback Pro-elite. Unfortunately, this stands lower height is too tall. It does have a better rated clamp head than the park.

Must be able to clamp the bike and then lift it. I use the stand to inflate tires and hold bikes on the ground daily. This gives me a resting clamp height of 35 inches or 89cm. I’m tall too, so max extended height is also a concern. Shooting for 65 inches or 165cm

Needs to be super solid! I want to be able to change pedals and BB’s while up in the air. It will need 8-10cm of internal overlap and I tight clearance bushing. Tripods are out and it doesn’t need to be portable. Looking at a 40-50kg steel plate as the base.

Since I like the Feedback clamp the best and can use some of their other parts, I’ve decided on replicating the design with stronger materials and closer tolerances. Top tube is 1.5 OD and bottom tube is 1.75 OD 16 gauge aluminum tubing. I’m upgrading the aluminum 16 gauge tubing (.051 inch) with Stainless Steel 17 gauge tubing (.0562 inch).

Parts list:
Feedback Pro Elite clamp head
Feedback tall collar clamp assembly
Feedback Lower bushing or Sleeve Bearing, I.D. 1-1/2, L 2, MFR #: CB242616
Feedback Top plastic cap or alternative 1.5 cap with magnetic parts tray on top.
Yonaka 1.75" OD Polished Stainless-Steel Exhaust Straight Tubing Pipe 1000MM 17 gauge
Yonaka 1.5" OD Polished Stainless-Steel Exhaust Straight Tubing Pipe 1000MM 17 gauge
3M Undercoating, 08881, 16 oz
Steel base plate 26x26inch octagon 50ish lb

Tubes will be honed, polished and cut to the desired length, then welded to the steel base plate. Thinking about some small braces to the base plate and deciding on color. I might also look into rubber feet for the plate to keep it in place. :D
Last edited by Alexbn921 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I would love to have some kind of counter weight to help lift the bike. I’ve been racking my brain for a reliable way to do it.
Option 1 is to mount a rod threw the middle of the tubes from the bottom and use a pulley system with weight or a retracting plant hanger.
Option 2 is to use a thin string run in-between the tubes exiting the top of the lower tube and a weight or spring.
Option 3 is to use an o-ring between the tubes and a plug in the top tube to make an air tight seal. It should have a compression ratio of 2:1 and with 10psi at top out give 15lbs of lift. Psi at bottom out would be 20 with 30lbs of lift. I would need a 1/16 inch or 1.75mm o-ring.
Any help would be appreciated.

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

Looked at Kestrel stands? They are the go-to for British mechanics.
Weight 72kg, FTP 289W => 4.01 W/kg

Custom ti 650B Kingdom Double9 (with tubs)
Kinesis Aithein
Kinesis Racelight 4S "Rain Bike"
Ventana El Conquistador

MichaelK

by MichaelK

MikeMoore wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:47 pm
Looked at Kestrel stands? They are the go-to for British mechanics.
This. You can buy the carriage head seperately and use your own base. The head is sturdy AF and will last decades.

https://www.kestrelcyclestands.co.uk/pr ... amp-metal/

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Var was also on the list, but they are impossible to get in the USA.
https://www.vartools.com/en/professiona ... r-p869.php

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Parts are coming in.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Made a link for the unsupported side of the clamp. Helps make a solid clamp even better.

All setup for welding.

My buddy Tig welded it and it came out great.

26x26x3/8 steel 55lb base plate. Sanded, primed and rubber undercoated.

Finished!

Turned out super solid with no play or movement. Perfect size when lowered to clamp on and then raise it up.

Orbital

by Orbital

Looks awesome. I’ve been planning a build too and decided on a heavy baseplate rather than a tripod. Mine will secure the bike by the front fork and bottom bracket. Shouldn’t really need to purchase any clamps. Just need to find the time and wait for a project at work that I can secure some suitable crops.

TQ1

by TQ1

Do you want to be putting quite a bit of force through the frame with it clamped by the seat post?

I torque my pedals and BB with the bike on wheels on the ground and use that to resist the force I'm putting through the frame.

Frisco

by Frisco

Nice work - build a DIY Hirobel next!

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Wow this looks really good, I work in a smaller bikeshop and a solid bike stand is a big investment, making part of it yourself or by a local welder will save a lot of money. Something I will look into

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Orbital wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 pm
Looks awesome. I’ve been planning a build too and decided on a heavy baseplate rather than a tripod. Mine will secure the bike by the front fork and bottom bracket. Shouldn’t really need to purchase any clamps. Just need to find the time and wait for a project at work that I can secure some suitable crops.
Do it and share. :D
Having a custom stand that fits your needs and size is nice. I also enjoy the process of building new things.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

TQ1 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:52 pm
Do you want to be putting quite a bit of force through the frame with it clamped by the seat post?

I torque my pedals and BB with the bike on wheels on the ground and use that to resist the force I'm putting through the frame.
I break my pedals and BB's free on the ground for the most part, but I want the option to brace the bike and install/remove things in a more comfortable postion. Really it was about having a bomber, super solid work stand.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Frisco wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:26 am
Nice work - build a DIY Hirobel next!
Looks easy with a 1" or 1.125" rod and some old stems. Using a 1" rod and BMX stems from kids bikes with one quick release should get you 90% of the way. Finding the cones for the frame might be slightly challenging.
Not something I think I would use though.
Last edited by Alexbn921 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

robbosmans wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:56 am
Wow this looks really good, I work in a smaller bikeshop and a solid bike stand is a big investment, making part of it yourself or by a local welder will save a lot of money. Something I will look into
Bike stands are a big investment and since you are using yours professional every day, something you should invest the time and money into getting the right one for you. Figure out how you like to setup your work and build accordingly. Try out as many as you can so you know what you like the best.
If you do build one like mine, a heavy base plat is essential. At least 24kg or 50lb minimum and 7mm+ thinness. 60x60cm or 24x24inch wide too. If you must buy a base plate it will be the most expensive part. Start searching now for some scrap steel.
I’m extraordinarily happy with my build. Total build price was just under $200 US.