Cycling tips podcast

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

otoman

by otoman

tarmackev wrote:Does anyone else listen?
I used to enjoy it and the male hosts are good, especially shoddy Dave.
When the “me too” and women in cycling thing started they were all over it but obviously only when it became popular.
They got a female host who isn’t great, she’s very dull. Sure she’s a nice person but it was obviously a box ticking exercise.
All the while they have somebody there filling a roll (who happens to be the partner of a world tour pro) there’s no space if a genuinely talented female comes along which is a shame.
Recently with the black lives matter thing happening they’re all over it with black cyclists and pushing to get different ethnicities involved, once again just as it becomes popular.
I guess it’s the cynic in me. If they’d have pushed for ethnic minorities in cycling a year ago I’d have loved it, when they so obviously jump on the band wagon it comes across as very fake. They suddenly start giving a shit when it’s cool and seen as the right thing.
I suppose I should be happy, cycling does seem to have issues with racism and anything that combats this is good. It would be nice if somebody had stepped up to make a change long before it became popular.
I know Rouleur magazine and Rapha actually pushed with strong ad campaigns quite a few times in the last five years so there is Hope.
With regard to the cycling tops podcast it just feels very fake, like the generic emails from the directors at my place of work.

Complicated times I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Completely agree. Stopped listening to it after the second episode I heard with Abbey as she is uninformed and awkward. All the bandwagon virtue signaling got really old fast. Nerd Alerts are great but not at the cost of wading through the other BS.

Agree also about Amber Pierce - she is sharp, well spoken and has immense experience. I learn something every time she speaks.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I wish I’d never started this thread. They all seem like nice people. I’ll leave it there.
I’m enjoying Slow Ride and Bike Shop CX podcasts.

I do think I’m turning in to a grumpy old man.
Sat behind a van on the way to work, he was texting and not indicating so I cut him badly (in May car) in a supermarket car park and we nearly ended up in a fight.
Then on the evening a young punk (actual punk) was in my village shop with no face mask and I gave him a look and shake of the head.
Again another shouting match and nearly a fight.

I need to chill on my negative vibes. Thank god for Vegan Cyclist on YouTube.

maquisard

by maquisard

As the saying goes, if you constantly come across assholes in day to day life, maybe you're the asshole. :welcome:

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

tarmackev wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:33 pm
I wish I’d never started this thread. They all seem like nice people. I’ll leave it there.
I’m enjoying Slow Ride and Bike Shop CX podcasts.

I do think I’m turning in to a grumpy old man.
Sat behind a van on the way to work, he was texting and not indicating so I cut him badly (in May car) in a supermarket car park and we nearly ended up in a fight.
Then on the evening a young punk (actual punk) was in my village shop with no face mask and I gave him a look and shake of the head.
Again another shouting match and nearly a fight.

I need to chill on my negative vibes. Thank god for Vegan Cyclist on YouTube. Image

Without getting too much off topic, I went through a stage very much like what you describe last year. It' ain't healthy. I've since been much happier taking a deep breath, thinking rather than displaying my thoughts openly, and avoiding/ignoring the stupidity of others. There are many idiots and you can't cure stupidity.

My advice? Relax, pick your battles (and only have very few), and let people live and think they way they want to. No point trying to change people.....

peted76

by peted76

I listen to:
Watts Occuring
Life in the Peloton - Talking Luft
The Social Distance Podcast
The Move

I've got a lot of others which I dip into now and again but these are my go to pods. I've given up on The Cycling Podcast, I just can't stand the pompous droneing voice of Daniel Friebe it's so annoying!! Doubly annoying as I really like the 'Cycling Podcast Fémini' podcast..

maquisard

by maquisard

My two favourite english podcasts are CyclingTips and Cycling Podcast. I quite like Daniel Friebe as he is extremely knowledgeable in the sport. The Cycling Podcast Féminin is reasonably good although I think Orla Chennaoui is absolutely terrible.

ichobi

by ichobi

I like wiggins eurosport podcast the most. The guy talks like he’s your mate, but with some good insight and analysis. Wiggins real life high level racing experience provides really good perspective without taking things too serious like other media led cycling podcast. He won it all and seen it all afterall. The cycling podcast is a bit like reading books. High knowledge but you have to be comfortable with the trio’s droning and their going off topic ever so often.

Velonews podcast is quite entertaining with Fred Drier. Cyclingtips is a bit boring for me.

AJS914

by AJS914

I love The Cycling Podcast. I love how they delve into history. Their virtual Giro was fantastic - for example the Cipollini episode.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Velocast first for me, then Cycling podcast and CyclingTips after that.
I'm off work this week and doing garden catchup, so getting through all 3 for now, may not always happen.
A bit different angle from the 3. Velocast worth a shot if you are looking for more charactor.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:14 pm
I love The Cycling Podcast. I love how they delve into history. Their virtual Giro was fantastic - for example the Cipollini episode.
Yeah, when the Cycling podcast covers history they can be absolutely fascinating, funny and engaging.

For some reason when they're covering Grand Tours that are currently happening they have a tendency to slip into an overly serious mode that drains any life and humour from the proceedings. I can't listen to it.

AJS914

by AJS914

Last year, the Cyclingtips coverage was great with Rupert Guinness on the podcast. They are kind of stuck this year with that crew not being able to travel to France.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Regarding the Cyclingtips podcast, they had Jose Been on yesterday (Stage 4 Tour coverage) and she is fantastic. She commentates some for Eurosport, and she has great insight. Abby was on as well, and honestly while I'm sure Abby is a nice person, having both on at the same time really showed me difference between someone who is professional in the media and someone who is there for a good time.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Bigger Gear wrote:Regarding the Cyclingtips podcast, they had Jose Been on yesterday (Stage 4 Tour coverage) and she is fantastic. She commentates some for Eurosport, and she has great insight. Abby was on as well, and honestly while I'm sure Abby is a nice person, having both on at the same time really showed me difference between someone who is professional in the media and someone who is there for a good time.
Or it highlighted the difference between a person who has been commentating for a living for almost a decade and someone who has just switched careers. Not really a fair comparison.