Cycling tips podcast

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

I think yes, they (and all businesses) should have been pushing for diversity without the need for death and violent protests to occur before they pulled a finger out and make some token play.

Still, I prefer that they have actually done something, rather than keeping quiet and ultra-homogenous like some backwater outfit singgering every time someone makes a cheeky casual racist comment, or some throwback sh*t about giving some chick one, while they're at work (or something work-like, as it seems a lot of people in the cycling industry have 'jobs' which aren't very work-like at all).

At this point in history though, it's time for us to look inwards. At our own workplaces, and social circles and examine those. The communities suffering will take the fight where it needs to be fought, we can support that, but our work needs to be in changing ourselves. Reaching out to those who we've casually excluded and judging ourselves harshly for not acting sooner, or for not speaking out at the lack of diversity, or the odd backwards comments that get passed.

Get your group photos out boys. Let's see the diversity there. Good place to start. No excuses either. There's always minorities or women, or LGBT people around who'd love to feel included enough to join in.

by Weenie

tarmackev

by tarmackev

As the OP I can say I was in a bit of a grump when I write the post.
I’ve listened to a few more episodes and I find Abby dull. For me she ads nothing, with that being said I only really find Dave and Caley entertaining.
The subject matter in itself is good at times.

I don’t care what colour or sex the host is just as long as I find them entertaining.
UK TV has some amazing female presenters, the best TV hosts are all gay.
I loved Rory Reid on top gear.
As far as all cycling podcasts go most to me are average.
My point with Abby is that there are currently very few spaces occupied by women in cycling podcasts and I think it’s better to have somebody genuinely good and it opens the door for more female hosts.
There are some great female hosts on cycling TV, Rebecca Charlotte, Victoria Pendleton’s always good.
I do not care if all hosts are white men, black men or they can be all women. I want them to be interesting and entertaining.
I guess these people aren’t all professional entertainers so I should cut them some slack.

I listen to podcasts on other subjects I’m interested in, others sports etc and they all blow the cycling podcasts away.
I find most cycling podcasts are by the book, super serious and if anything especially in the UK very middle class aimed at people with high incomes (which I don’t have).
I’m a big MMA fan and some
Of the women journalists in that sport are fantastic, interesting, passionate and eloquent.

Perhaps it’s the Boulder or California way of talking? I see lots of the Cannondale guys have the same dull monotone approach as some of the cycling tips guys, Abby is a female version.
It’s just not a style that appeals to me.
I like enthusiasm, knowledge and charisma.
Sure they’re all nice people on the cycling tips podcast.
I’d be more than happy with Just Dave and Caley though. If people want to judge me as a mysoginistic racist because the two who have the most life and are most entertaining are white then fair enough.

If we could find the cycling podcast host version Bobby Lee and Rebel Wilson then I’m in!

To those that have suggested other podcasts many thanks, I’ll definitely check them out.

I left it a while expecting when I came back that I would have nothing but abuse from starting this thread. It’s cool that most replies are balanced and constructive.
Currently I’m withdrawing from opiates rafter major surgery, I’m very bored and my moods up and down, on a normal day I’d just skip the podcast and not even consider a thread on here, it was obviously a bad day.

In reality I guess I just want a bit of quality cycling banter and some tech news. With the world being so crazy at the moment I like a little escape from that in my podcasts.
Everyone person on the cycling news podcasts seems genuinely nice, I’m sure they appeal to lots of people. I’m just one guy having a bad day, venting about something very trivial.

One take away from reading these replies is I’m going to go online and do a little research on Abby, I’ll follow her on social media. I’ll take time to listen to her and see if I become more of a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karvalo

by Karvalo

tarmackev wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:37 pm
As the OP I can say I was in a bit of a grump when I write the post.
I’ve listened to a few more episodes and I find Abby dull. For me she ads nothing, with that being said I only really find Dave and Caley entertaining.
The subject matter in itself is good at times.

I don’t care what colour or sex the host is just as long as I find them entertaining.
UK TV has some amazing female presenters, the best TV hosts are all gay.
I loved Rory Reid on top gear.
As far as all cycling podcasts go most to me are average.
My point with Abby is that there are currently very few spaces occupied by women in cycling podcasts and I think it’s better to have somebody genuinely good and it opens the door for more female hosts.
OK, so consider that means there are several male presenters on that show that you don't find entertaining either, but the only person you called out for criticism is the female. If you do want the cycling media to hire more women then being more vocally judgmental of the women they do hire than the men is not going to help.

I assume you do have good intentions, so just something to think about. Hope your recovery goes swiftly :beerchug:

sychen

by sychen

The issue of under-representation is that you have to start somewhere.. For a sport that is white male dominated.. It's not easy to find good female host with adequate experience when there are almost none in cycling media(except gcn) . I say kudos to CT for making the effort.. Even the three idiots on top gear / Grand Tour weren't great in their first season.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Bobby Lee and Rebel Wilson?

Yeah I'll take Abigail and James every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As for the Cannondale thing I think you're confusing Abigail with Amber Pierce.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Where did Neal end up anyway?

Amber Pierce rocks.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

TobinHatesYou wrote:Where did Neal end up anyway?

Amber Pierce rocks.
I think he has taken a temporary step back from his previous role to allow him to do full time dad duties.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Had to change the title on the thread.
I’ve gone deep.
Averaged 3+ hours a day of old podcasts.
Ripped through all the nerd alert podcasts and I love them.
I feel bad for judging them on one small SJW blip.

Really enjoying Nerd Alert. Some great stories and tech advice.
Really makes me happy.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Nefarious86 wrote:Bobby Lee and Rebel Wilson?

Yeah I'll take Abigail and James every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As for the Cannondale thing I think you're confusing Abigail with Amber Pierce.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
I had to google search to find them.
I’d actually take the cycling tips crew over them also.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

March 16 episode of Nerd Alert. A peek behind carbon manufacturing was fantastic.
Factor bikes manufacturer talking carbon and frame production,
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/n ... 0468588411

maquisard

by maquisard

This is precisely why CyclingTips is a fantastic cycling media company - it isn't just re-hashed news or boring ride reports. It is genuinely original and interesting content that covers all aspects of cycling. A lot of this is down to Caley Fretz who is doing a fantastic job as editor. I highly recommend joining VeloClub to support them.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Must say I'm not a huge podcast guy. I've yet to find one on any topic that keeps me engaged the entire time. I do (did...) a lot of long haul flying and tried my best to get into podcasts, specifically cycling ones to pass time. Cyclingtips podcast is one that I really persevered with, but although I didn't mind Shoddy Dave and James Huang, I just found I preferred visual media like reading and watching videos more. Personal opinion anyway, nothing against any of the hosts, just struggled to stay engaged unless it was something I was really interested in. I had a bit more success with the Bikeradar podcast if anything.

rlanger

by rlanger

I enjoy listening to the CT podcast. And, while I don't personally find that Abby adds much to the discussion, I give her a pass because she doesn't generally uptalk, which makes any podcast, or video for that matter, unlistenable for me.

If they happen to do an interview where the guest uptalks, I have to skip through it because I just find it so cringy. I also find the Euro-centric tick of adding "Yeah" before every other sentence, which seems prevalent in the cycling community, pretty cringy too, but not nearly as cringy as American uptalk.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

tallterry wrote:Tarmackev:

I too wish we could back to a simpler time when cycling brands and media kept women and minorities out of sight and out of mind. The last thing I want to think about while looking at a $10k bike is somebody trying to make the world a little fairer and kinder for all.
This.

robertbb

by robertbb

rlanger wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:12 pm
I enjoy listening to the CT podcast. And, while I don't personally find that Abby adds much to the discussion, I give her a pass because she doesn't generally uptalk, which makes any podcast, or video for that matter, unlistenable for me.

If they happen to do an interview where the guest uptalks, I have to skip through it because I just find it so cringy. I also find the Euro-centric tick of adding "Yeah" before every other sentence, which seems prevalent in the cycling community, pretty cringy too, but not nearly as cringy as American uptalk.
Ermagherd, so sexhurst and mysoginhurst....... I'm offended... mods, mods!!!!!! :roll:

Mods here, have a holiday :D

by Weenie