Convert Scicon AeroComfort 2.0 to thru axle

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

senergy

by senergy

I got bored waiting for some parts so upgraded my AeroComfort to 2.8. for my new Disc Road bike and also to fit my sons 26" Dual MTB. I'll need to find something else for my 29" Enduro (Wheel base is too long) so no need for Boost compatibility for this case.

I started off my cutting the original QR axles off and then welding on some Galvanised Tube (all 1.2mm thick) for 15mm axles
Front: 19mm x 99mm
Rear: 19mm x 126mm

I then made some tube adaptors that go inside the 19mm tubes (17mm internals) for 12mm axles.
Front: 16mm x 99mm
Rear: 16mm x 142mm (I welded on a 19mm x 16mm ring)

The origial QR axles were then cleaned up so they can go inside of the 19mm axle's.

my Aerocomfort 2.8 now supports
Front:
QR 100mm x 9mm
Non-Boost Thru-axle 100mm x 15mm
Road Thru-axle 100mm x 12mm

Rear:
QR 130mm x 10mm
Non-boost Thru-axle 142mm x 12mm
Road Thru-axle 142mm x 12mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kwunder1

by kwunder1

I was able to do this pretty easily. Here were the steps and the parts that you need.

Parts:
Thru axel end caps
https://sciconsports.com/eu_en/kit-thru ... p120010528

2 x Wahoo thru axel kit (I happened to have one for my kickr and my friend had a second one so we used those just for the trip)
https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/in ... dapter-buy

Steps:
1. I cut the quick-release supports off with a hack saw and used a Dremel to smooth out the surface. I did this for both the front and rear forks.

2. For the front fork, I used the skewer that came with the bag and put the thru axel conversion parts from the wahoo kit onto the skewer.

3. For the rear I used the thru axel end caps from Scicon and used a mallet to secure them. Then the skewer from Wahoo.

*For some bikes you may be able to get away without cutting off the quick-release supports, this cervelo had a pretty narrow front fork and would not work without removing them.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for the description. For some reason, your photo from Step 1 doesn't load. Can you re-upload the photo?

Espsliew

by Espsliew

Bringing this topic up from the grave as I have just switch my set up from rim to disc brakes which officially made my Scicon 2.0 useless. That was until I discovered this post.
I downloaded the blueprints for the 3D printing and had it printed. Followed the instructions as closely as I could on https://imgur.io/gallery/Z1B9cJ5. Over tightened the jubilee clip of the front fork til the front fork adaptor warped (round to oval, cannot fit the thru axle), so had to reprint another.
I am having issue with the rear fork setup and I need help for this. Can someone tell me what is the sequence of the pieces? As in, which is the right order to line up the pieces? Greatly appreciate if someone can post an image or describe which piece goes in the QR first. I am a bit confused with the explanation provided. Thanks in advance.