AbsoluteBlack GRAPHENLube... $150 a bottle to save 7 watts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:47 am
Snide comments about expensive bikes are kind of dumb because even the most expensive bike is only around $15K and that is full retail. $10K is easy to do if you find some deals and build it yourself. Most people can figure out a way to buy a $10K bike if they want it. It's usually as easy as using the credit card. Lots of guys who aren't doctors ride around in $30-40K trucks - a top of the line bike is chump change.

The car analogy is a bit meh. If the automotive industry were as small as the bike industry, a Toyota Tundra would probably cost $400K. $10K is a lot to spend on 15lbs worth of carbon fiber, plastic resin and metal tubes, no matter how we try to spin it. At least with a car, you’re paying for 4000lbs of materials before accounting for anything else.

Unniti

by Unniti

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:58 am
AJS914 wrote:
Snide comments about expensive bikes are kind of dumb because even the most expensive bike is only around $15K and that is full retail. $10K is easy to do if you find some deals and build it yourself. Most people can figure out a way to buy a $10K bike if they want it. It's usually as easy as using the credit card. Lots of guys who aren't doctors ride around in $30-40K trucks - a top of the line bike is chump change.

The car analogy is a bit meh. If the automotive industry were as small as the bike industry, a Toyota Tundra would probably cost $400K. $10K is a lot to spend on 15lbs worth of carbon fiber, plastic resin and metal tubes, no matter how we try to spin it. At least with a car, you’re paying for 4000lbs of materials before accounting for anything else.
But that truck is about the equivalent of the cheapest hybrid you can find. The $10k bike is a purebred racing machine. And $10k is a lot of money and a lot to spend on anything. Be it a car, or a bike. But it's doable to pretty much anyone with an above minimum wage job and some financial sense(and even to those without any financial sense on a minimum wage jobs), as proved by all the new cars that people buy. If you're passionate about cycling then why not buy a new fancy bike and drive an older car?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

AJS914 wrote:
Most people can figure out a way to buy a $10K bike if they want it. It's usually as easy as using the credit card.
that's one helluva ancient and ignorant first world coutry perspective...

well, if you accout for black market value of a kidney, the sure "anyone can ride a 10k bike" :lol:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

AJS914

by AJS914

Give me a break tymon. In case you haven't noticed this site is dedicated to a white Eurocentric sport and building usually expensive light weight bicycles.

And you all missed my point. I'm just saying that looking at a Pinarello and thinking "dentist" is poor metric as a Pinarello is within reach of most people that want one. The comparison to buying a car was that you don't have to be a doctor or dentist to buy a car that costs many times more than a bicycle as average middle class people do it all the time.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:42 pm
Pinarello is within reach of most people that want one.

lol that literally made my day..

economic and social studies 101: "you can just get what you want". please do give us more, it's fantastic, even for euroboomercentrcism or whatever your state of mind is called :thumbup:

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Whenever anyone asks what my bike cost I always start out with, if this was a car it would likely be comparable to a Formula 1 maybe back of the grid level cause even though I have over $10 G Canandian into it I know there is more expensive out there. And while comparing cars to bikes ppl in this country love their $80 G trucks and its not an uncommon thing to see several of these beasts within a half an hour ride. I do notice cause many dont care to share the road. It all comes down to how much passion you have for your mode of transport whatever it may be. I guess if you want to spend whatever amount of money to maintain your beloved form of travel more power to ya.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

AJS914

by AJS914

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:51 pm
economic and social studies 101: "you can just get what you want". please do give us more, it's fantastic, even for euroboomercentrcism or whatever your state of mind is called :thumbup:
Why are you being a jerk? I haven't called you any names. If you can't have a discussion then so be it. I'm glad to block you and never hear from you again.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

sorry mate, it sure did come off as jerk-ish, but I just have an allergy towards certain type of BS. you're right, I shouldn't make it personal, my bad, feel free to block me or whatever rocks your boat. cheers!

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

i was listening to a VitalMX podcast where they were interviewing a tech guy at D.I.D. chains.

you know what they recommend? GEAR OIL. this is snake oil.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Deleted
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Jeez, didn't this get off track. A thread about some lube went way off. Let's just ride bikes, and if doctors and dentists and "rich" people (fat or skinny) want to ride their F12's with Super Record and use $150 lube on their gold chain then kudo's to them.

Oh and as for "anyone can afford a $10k bike", you've either lived a sheltered and fortunate life, or are absolutely clueless and happy to live a life of debt.

I suggest this thread get locked tbh.

RyanH

by RyanH

Removed off topic posts. Just as a reminder, someone could have flagged this awhile ago.

otoman

by otoman

It’s not a lube thread without some insults being thrown around! It never fails haha
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

spartan

by spartan

has anyone tried this stuff ? how clean is it ? i have not seen any testing results yet.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

OK so before i start i am going to come out and say i "do" have an association with AB and I "didn’t" pay for this chain lube. So if you want to ignore my following comments then feel free to but they are genuine.

I fitted a new chain at the beginning of last month when i built up my new Emonda SL and treated the chain to the AB lube exactly as per the initial application process. This is quite a lengthy job but worth doing for the initial application. My first thoughts when riding for the first time was the chain didn’t sound much quieter but the gears did shift very smoothly. As far as the "watt" gain then I really can’t quantify this, i saw no numbers on the PM that made me think there was any real change but then again I wouldn’t expect too.

Therefore I can only really comment on the longevity of the lube. Since the initial application i HAVE NOT applied any more lube to the chain. I have now clocked over 1350 miles in the past 5 weeks and the chain has become "dirtier" in appearance but still shows no sign of needing to be re-lubed. Chain is as quiet as it was on day 1 and is shifting as smooth as I would expect. Living in England we hardly have good weather so i would say around 300 miles has been in rain and probably another 200 on very wet roads. Roads around me are also notoriously dirty and badly surfaced due to farming.

Chain lubed and fitted but with 0 miles covered.

chain still with origional application and at time of photo 1300 miles covered.

So is it expensive? Yes its stupidly costly, i cant argue with that however with over 1300 miles covered on a single lube its likely to see over 22500 miles out of a single bottle. So lets say you buy a bottle and use it just for your summer / race bike (because it shouldnt be used in winter due to the low temp) then its likely to last at least 4 - 5 years even for a rider clocking up over 6000 miles a summer? So then if the supposoded Watt saving is true and the reduced wear to your drivetrain is to be believered (i dont see why it shouldnt given how transparent they have been) then it might not seem so stupid?