AbsoluteBlack GRAPHENLube... $150 a bottle to save 7 watts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Don't care if this is the best lube in the planet, it's not coming near my GOLD chain!! Because bling matters!!! :twinkle:

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

These boutique vendors coming out with angel juice like this.... Makes you wonder who their technology partners are. If they arent buying from motorex or motul or the like its a waste of time. Shimano gets their grease from some supplier all the way in Germany (SKF??). Wonder why. They leave that %/\ to the experts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

PlumzRichard wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:02 pm
Chain lubed and fitted but with 0 miles covered.
The chain in the picture is new? :noidea:
What kind of chain?
Did you remove the factory grease/Cosmoline before, or as part of, applying the $150 lube? If so, how?

If this is s new chain, I guess the $150 lube gives the chain that lived-in look, kind of like superexpensive faded jeans.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Raimundo wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:23 pm
Don't care if this is the best lube in the planet, it's not coming near my GOLD chain!! Because bling matters!!! :twinkle:
I hear you! ;)
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

HammerTime2 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:32 pm
PlumzRichard wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:02 pm
Chain lubed and fitted but with 0 miles covered.
The chain in the picture is new? :noidea:
What kind of chain?
Did you remove the factory grease/Cosmoline before, or as part of, applying the $150 lube? If so, how?

If this is s new chain, I guess the $150 lube gives the chain that lived-in look, kind of like superexpensive faded jeans.
Brand new Ultegra chain. Left over night in white spirit to remove the manufacturers grease, then left to dry before being bathed in the AB lube, left to dry and then refitted. When dry the lube is black in apperence. I can vouch for this as i manged to walk some into my hallway carpet....doh!

spartan

by spartan

first test review. 3watts saving. respectable. better than oversize ceramic pulleys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hotzTllSr8
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

spartan wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:02 am
first test review. 3watts saving. respectable. better than oversize ceramic pulleys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hotzTllSr8
if they dont use gear oil as a control im out. also they used two power meters.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Re: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hotzTllSr8

Estimated power loss results for the chain with various lubes was not believable.

So the results were adjusted to an assumed 98% best case efficiency.

When 98% efficiency was assumed, the result was 98% efficiency. Now that is science in action.

We are supposed to believe that after this adjustment, the power loss differences between the chains are more or less correct and measningful. Are they? Who the hell knows.

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/prod ... hene-lube/

ZFC has now listed it on his site, full review and testing has not been launched yet but sounds like its going to offer some of the best results to date.

He is also quoting huge distances before reapplication is required and noting how the cost could be offset by how it reduces wear to the drivesystem.

I have now passed 1700 miles and still have not re-applied since the first application.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I'm intrigued.

Questions @PlumzRichard:
- when you touch it, does the black stuff come off? Or is it just dry and black (ie won't make white shoes, for example, irretrievably dirty). I mean, a black chain is ok - KMC sells them for a premium. A dirty-looking chain isn't so great though.
- is it quiet?
- have you ridden it in the wet in those 1700 miles?

Edit: nope, price same as at launch.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:52 pm
I'm intrigued.

Questions @PlumzRichard:
- when you touch it, does the black stuff come off? Or is it just dry and black (ie won't make white shoes, for example, irretrievably dirty). I mean, a black chain is ok - KMC sells them for a premium. A dirty-looking chain isn't so great though.
- is it quiet?
- have you ridden it in the wet in those 1700 miles?

Edit: nope, price same as at launch.
Same question. After it dries, does the black stuff rub off on your fingers/clothes; or is it clean like wax?

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Once it dried its clean like a wax, i have used white shoes and socks on many occassions and not found there to be any transfer.

It is no quieter than a normal "well lubed chain" but also not noisey by any means.

Yes many of those miles are on wet roads and probably 280 miles in pouring rain...typical english weather i am afraid.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Sounds like a potentially good deal then. 1800 miles in mixed weather without re-lubing.... yeah, the bottle is worth the price, particularly if the lube is also as effective in keeping the friction down.

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:59 pm
Sounds like a potentially good deal then. 1800 miles in mixed weather without re-lubing.... yeah, the bottle is worth the price, particularly if the lube is also as effective in keeping the friction down.
you seem to be the first person other than myself to actually look past the RRP and do your own maths and work out thats the case... Unfortuantly people are to blinded by the price to actually listen to the evidence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

How many Watts are you losing with the gunk on the 1300 mile pic from mostly dry riding?

They mention it being ideal for 24 hour MTB races but how frequent is the reapplication in grim MTB conditions and how much muck is it going to attract there?

It is easy to hate on a a mega expensive lube with big claims but if it is anything like my experience of AB NW rings that wore out incredibly quickly and couldn't hold a chain (causing a miserable 12 hour MTB race as a result before heading for the bin) then I am deeply skeptical of their definition of "mixed conditions". The reply I got was there are lots of testers happy with muddy performance followed by a pic of a chainring with the merest few flecks or mud on. I sent back a pic of my bike from the disasterous race and the reply was "why would you want to ride in those conditions anyway" :roll:
Last edited by DanW on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.