AbsoluteBlack GRAPHENLube... $150 a bottle to save 7 watts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

flying

by flying

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Catagory6

by Catagory6

flying wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:37 am
duuuuuude, you gotta keep that info on the DL. c'mon, now EVERYBODY is going to start using the Snake Oil

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Perfect stuff for the overweight doctor that rides his $15k+ bike for 50mi a month.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I geek out on lube as much as the next guy (or gal), but this is getting ridiculous.

And they're touting only "5 watts of frictional losses" over 900km on a single application? Who in the world only lubes their chain once every 900km? Interestingly, in their test, the Mucoff Nano (which is what I use) is actually the "fastest" after 3-500km which is even pushing the boundaries on how often most enthusiasts will clean and reapply. I'll save my pennies.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Marin

by Marin

If your chain eats 7 Watts you shoudn't run it dry.

7 Watts over what?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'm sure there are several members on here already using it on their elaborate Zwift set ups...

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:48 pm
Who in the world only lubes their chain once every 900km?
despite having a very limited experience working at a bike shop/service, I can tell you: a lot of people do. some do it even less often, and then there are those who neve lube or maintain their bike - perhaps it's that niche this lube should be aimed at :lol:

but honestly - I dig the progress. few watts here, few watts there, and it quite adds up. looking at a bike-rider as a whole system it's still us, who create the biggest drag, and account for highest weight, but I for one appreciate a well spec'ed and maintained bike vs. just 'some bike'. of course, at the end of the day (or rather: begining) it might come down to this one extra burrito you've eaten binge watching your fav tv show late at night, or that extra glass of black bush, or two, or three.. and you know what helps? the idea, that your bike saves watts no matter how lazy and indisciplined you are :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Shrike

by Shrike

wolfesquire wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:07 pm
Perfect stuff for the overweight doctor that rides his $15k+ bike for 50mi a month.
Well they do make expensive things for successful folk.

Or were you expecting life to reward you for riding your bicycle all day? :lol:

flying

by flying

Shrike wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:47 pm
wolfesquire wrote:

You sure could look at that 2 ways :thumbup:

Because it is sometimes odd to consider a life dedicated to chasing $$$ is deemed a success by some...

Yet.. some consider riding a bike all day a rewarding life :beerchug:

Shrike

by Shrike

flying wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:45 pm
Shrike wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:47 pm
wolfesquire wrote:

You sure could look at that 2 ways :thumbup:

Because it is sometimes odd to consider a life dedicated to chasing $$$ is deemed a success by some...

Yet.. some consider riding a bike all day a rewarding life :beerchug:
Perfectly fine to consider a life on a bicycle rewarding. I find riding my bike a reward, can't think of much better to be honest. But guys like wolfe don't get to whine about not affording expensive things, or try to demean doctors who can afford them. I mean what sort of halfwit makes a snide remark about a doctor during the Covid crisis. You'd have to be such an utter lemming to repeat that trope at any time, let alone right now where they're on the front line.

Hell if you told me you're a doctor I'd send you some of this 150 dollar lube as a thank you. Hope they all get a break soon and spend a bit of time on their well deserved Pinarellos, maybe work off a bit of the fat they've gained from stress-eating while doing a hard job :thumbup:

flying

by flying

Shrike wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 am
But guys like wolfe don't get to whine about not affording expensive things, or try to demean doctors who can afford them. I mean what sort of halfwit makes a snide remark about a doctor during the Covid crisis. You'd have to be such an utter lemming to repeat that trope at any time, let alone right now where they're on the front line.
Ok I cannot speak for wolfe nor know him but...I did not take his or your comments literally

It is a pretty common/jibe/joke about MAMIL's etc
We often have said here Campy SR was the Dentist group etc :wink:

Its all good we are here as cyclist not politicians

Shrike

by Shrike

flying wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:50 pm
Shrike wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 am
But guys like wolfe don't get to whine about not affording expensive things, or try to demean doctors who can afford them. I mean what sort of halfwit makes a snide remark about a doctor during the Covid crisis. You'd have to be such an utter lemming to repeat that trope at any time, let alone right now where they're on the front line.
Ok I cannot speak for wolfe nor know him but...I did not take his or your comments literally

It is a pretty common/jibe/joke about MAMIL's etc
We often have said here Campy SR was the Dentist group etc :wink:

Its all good we are here as cyclist not politicians
I know it how common it is, I'm just challenging the status quo. It's backwards and suits a certain snide personality type. Would be nice to see cycling undergo a little progression, culturally. I disagree with you that it's all good though. It's not. Cycling culture has a lot of prevailing sentiment which is tribal and demographically poorly representative. What it really is, and tries to mask, is resentment. That's the root of it all.

I'm talking about the UK of course. I just challenge BS when I see it now, couldn't care less about winning popularity points with people who's perspective I just don't really respect I guess. Same offline as online.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Wingnut wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:15 am
I'm sure there are several members on here already using it on their elaborate Zwift set ups...

I am truly grateful for Zwift and other options in the midst of a horrible viral pandemic in my third-world country (USA.)

RnR Gold or even Absolute Dry for indoor training. Wax flakes off all over the floor and there's no contaminants indoors to warrant anything but the lightest dry lube possible. My chain had >700 hours at something like 220W average, equivalent to 16000mi when I swapped it out. It was only .3% elongated, but Adam Kerin of Zero Friction Cycling asked me to measure my chain elongation with tape measure, so I took it off to do that.

Outdoors = paraffin + optional additives (MoS2, PTFE, tungsten disulfide) you can buy off Amazon fairly cheap.

Of course anyone with an elaborate Zwift set-up should be training with a power meter, making drivetrain efficiency irrelevant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Snide comments about expensive bikes are kind of dumb because even the most expensive bike is only around $15K and that is full retail. $10K is easy to do if you find some deals and build it yourself. Most people can figure out a way to buy a $10K bike if they want it. It's usually as easy as using the credit card. Lots of guys who aren't doctors ride around in $30-40K trucks - a top of the line bike is chump change.