AbsoluteBlack GRAPHENLube... $150 a bottle to save 7 watts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Discodan

by Discodan

PlumzRichard wrote:
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:59 pm
Sounds like a potentially good deal then. 1800 miles in mixed weather without re-lubing.... yeah, the bottle is worth the price, particularly if the lube is also as effective in keeping the friction down.
you seem to be the first person other than myself to actually look past the RRP and do your own maths and work out thats the case... Unfortuantly people are to blinded by the price to actually listen to the evidence.
I get that but part of the appeal of a $15 bottle of squirt is that I don’t have to keep track of how many k’s I’ve done and when it’s due for lube. you can just top it up every week or two and it doesn’t matter if you’re over-lubing. I’m too lazy for the liquid gold as appealing as it sounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

yeah that's gross. at 1300-1700 miles chain would probably look pretty furry if you put a magnet to it.

uraqt

by uraqt

While I'm not against spending money, I have a road bike that I skipped changing the chain on accident then it kinda became a "thing/test" how long can I ride it just with lubing to keep it quite... well about 8,000 miles later I just chicked out afraid that something would break or start skipping mid ride.. I think the total price to replace the chain ring, cassete and pulleys was about 150 USD... Yes I am a great price shopper but all the parts were bought from a retail shops and I live in amild climate. I did ride in the rain and I did wipe down the chain every few rides.

My point most poeple are using resonable priced lube or making their own and getting resonable milage from their maintenance process, so trying to sell 150 lube no matter how great it is, is a very very big stretch.

C

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

That depends on the chainrings, cassette and pulleys you are using. Some ride with CarbonTi, THM or Rotor Qarbon chainrings, DA cassette and ceramic pulley wheels - total replacement cost is well north of $500. Chain is by far the cheapest component there. Plus we are comparing costs of using regular lube regularly and this AbsoluteBlack thing about 10 times less frequently. Put another way, if the price means you are getting the equivalent of 10 squirt/smoove bottles, the value proposition becomes more readily apparent.

Morkai

by Morkai

I've applied Graphenlube on 1.11.2020 to a brand new Ultegra chain to be used along with a brand new DA RD & chainrings and Ultegra cassette.
The chain was first cleaned using the Zero Friction Cycling's method and then immersed in the Graphenlube.
To this day I've logged 863 km outdoor rides on that bike.
Over half of 800 km were ridden on wet roads and in total maybe 40 minutes in a mild rain.
Up to that point the chain felt great.

On the previous ride I've been caught by rain with massive snowflakes for 12 minutes, during which the drivetrain suddenly started to feel like it was immersed in sand.
After leaving the danger zone, everything quickly dried up and the gritty feeling went away.
At home I've wiped the whole drivetrain with cloth.

During today's ride the chain started to be excessively loud and I've a feeling it would start to squeal after another 50 km, so I've just finished applying more lube using the dripping method (so wasteful... excessive lube was dripping on the floor along with my tears ;). We'll see how long it will last.

Previously I was using Squirt lube which lasted up to 300 km, but using the dripping method from the start.
Along with the Graphenlube's preparation I did the same process with a new SRAM RED chain and Squirt lube (cleaning and immersion) for the other bike, but I don't know if I'll ever get to use it (Tarmac SL6 rim-brake > Emonda SLR Disc)

Some measurements:
Chain raw 262g
Bottle before 161g
Bottle during 91g
Bottle after 150g
Chain in filled bag 322g
Chain lubed ???g (forgot to weight, but 11g were lost between the chain and the bag)

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Morkai wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 pm
I've applied Graphenlube on 1.11.2020 to a brand new Ultegra chain to be used along with a brand new DA RD & chainrings and Ultegra cassette.
The chain was first cleaned using the Zero Friction Cycling's method and then immersed in the Graphenlube.
To this day I've logged 863 km outdoor rides on that bike.
Over half of 800 km were ridden on wet roads and in total maybe 40 minutes in a mild rain.
Up to that point the chain felt great.

On the previous ride I've been caught by rain with massive snowflakes for 12 minutes, during which the drivetrain suddenly started to feel like it was immersed in sand.
After leaving the danger zone, everything quickly dried up and the gritty feeling went away.
At home I've wiped the whole drivetrain with cloth.

During today's ride the chain started to be excessively loud and I've a feeling it would start to squeal after another 50 km, so I've just finished applying more lube using the dripping method (so wasteful... excessive lube was dripping on the floor along with my tears ;). We'll see how long it will last.

Previously I was using Squirt lube which lasted up to 300 km, but using the dripping method from the start.
Along with the Graphenlube's preparation I did the same process with a new SRAM RED chain and Squirt lube (cleaning and immersion) for the other bike, but I don't know if I'll ever get to use it (Tarmac SL6 rim-brake > Emonda SLR Disc)

Some measurements:
Chain raw 262g
Bottle before 161g
Bottle during 91g
Bottle after 150g
Chain in filled bag 322g
Chain lubed ???g (forgot to weight, but 11g were lost between the chain and the bag)
Remember the lube dosnt work below 5c, I have found this to be very true and notice a real drop in performance below this temp. You may want to consider cleaning the chain back down and re-applying or doing this when you know the weather has now warmed up.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Expensive, yes. But the way I see it, they are simply trying to distribute wealth more evenly (as with many luxury items).
Even if only some rich people can afford it, poorer people will make it to try an earn some coin. What's wrong with that? :noidea:

As for me, I wouldn't pay a cent more than AU$40 for that large bottle (even if I were a billionaire :mrgreen: ).
Actually, I wouldn't buy it in the first place, because I value drivetrain cleanliness more than watt-saving. :mrgreen:

I'll stick to my wax candle method; AU$4.60 from the local supermarket.😆
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

froze

by froze

Oh, that's nothing, take a gander at this pump:

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... BLOW-PRO-X

Notice the shape? notice the BUZZ word AERO? Why would a floor pump have to be aero shaped? so I can throw it further?

Morkai

by Morkai

Morkai wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 pm
...I've just finished applying more lube using the dripping method ... We'll see how long it will last...
Re-lubed the chain again today after 1300 km in the dry. Drivetrain still felt smooth but the inner ring was no longer silent.