Best Online Store

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jcrr

by jcrr

@robertbb and @Orbital Thanks for sharing- I had not heard of issues with non-existent stock. That would be very annoying. I will count myself lucky :thumbup: I agree, there are other options that have a higher rating.

I've also had good experiences with Wiggle, PBK, bikecloset and Bike24.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

by Weenie

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 am
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm
So I just checked the tracking on the Wiggle parcel that Skynet was handling and the shipper has now sent it back to Wiggle and yes I did cancel the parcel after Skynet lost it but when I got the email stating that taxes and duties are due I paid it because it appeared that the parcel was found and on its way. Also Skynet charges everyday that money is due and not getting paid. So now I have to try and get reimbursed for the duties and taxes I paid which wasnt much but I dont have big expectations. Guess I will get to harrass them now instead of the other way round. So far Merlin has not been too bad and they actually tell you who is handling your parcels whereas CRC and Wiggle wont tell you until after you have made your purchase. If I have learned anything from the dealings with Skynet through CRC and Wiggle is I just wont purchase from them knowing there is a chance they will use Skynet. Glad this wasnt a big purchase.
Such a shame these online stores use such terrible postal services. I had a similar problem with CRC delivering to China. To be honest if I lived in North America I'd only order from North American stores. The hassle isn't worth it unless you can fully trust the carrier, and not knowing who that might be until after the purchase is in all honesty ridiculous.

I delt with CRC and Wiggle for a number of years and had np whatsoever but as of late they have changed with the postal choices. Possibly trying to cut costs that way I dont know. I have been trying to use more of North American dealers but for the most part they just dont have the selection yet and the free shipping is not there yet but many are getting better now with Covid taking place. I actually ordered a couple parcels within my own country with one charging $5 for shipping throughout Canada and the other was free shipping with purchase of $75. AFAIK Merlin and Probikekit are not using Skynet just yet.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I emailed Probikekit and asked if they used Skynet and this was thier responce.
Thank you for getting in touch, we mainly use two couriers TrakPack and Omni, sadly who the local courier would be I am unable to guarantee as we use all of them ourselves.

I think its safe to say they are currently not using Skynet and when I google Skynet it says they originated out of the US. Thankfully my local shippers do not use Skynet.
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

I did not like the service provided by Skynet. Its the only carrier with which I didn't get the original importation form along with the package. I don't know if they remove it or just never put it on the package, but it makes it impossible to claim back paid importation taxes directly to the federal financial services should you return an item for refund.
You have to claim back paid importation taxes to Skynet directly instead. Believe it or not they will ask for more proof of return documentation than the federal financial services usually ask. On the top of that they will try to charge additional fees for processing the refund of the importation taxes.

I tried to phone Skynet several times and the phone never gets answered. When emailing its always someone different writting back.
Their website looks sketchy and so does the Google street view of their offices.

I complained to CRC and encourage those who had difficulties with Skynet to do the same. I'm still reluctant to order from CRC as I don't know if they will ship using Skynet.

CRC stopped shipping Shimano to America and now they randomly use doubtful shipping companies such as Skynet...? :noidea:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

One that hasn’t been mentioned here, but for US consumers looking for complete groupsets, look at Eurobikeparts.com. They’re a little more expensive than Merlin (2-3%), but less than half the shipping time, and very responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point

by Point

Agreed we need a Worst/Use with caution post.

I've just about reached my tether with Wiggle. What an absolute joke.
I get it, everything has been effected by Covid. But that still doesn't excuse a massive company like Wiggle having poor stock, atrocious and lacklustre customer service and just generally everything being tits up.

I (stupidly) paid for Wiggle+ (annual next day delivery subscription), but it seems their website blocks you from using the service with a Voucher Code given to you. So essentially, you're then exptected to pay the £4.99 delivery charge. So many issues, not worth it.

PBK, Bike24 (although slightly slow delivery), Bike Discount, Evans, Tredz and Tweeks are my current go to's.
Burls Custom Ti
Rove ST Bikepacker
Instagram

gwilson

by gwilson

Has probikekit recently changed their delivery options? Until recently there was free delivery on orders over a certain amount through untracked mail, which as a Canadian was the only way to avoid expensive duties and brockerage fees. Now the only option is a tracked delivery which is $25 on orders under $130, and $8 above. Does anyone know who they are using for these deliveries?

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I think everyone in the UK has changed thier shipping options since Covid has taken place. I know that Probikekit in the past used a shipper by the name of The Hut which is out of the UK and shipping worldwide. That was for standard shipping but not to sure what they used to do with tracked shipping. Sure hope they dont use Skynet. At least Merlin gives you the option of who you use as a shipper, Standard shipping for them is Royal Mail and I think the other option was DHL Express.
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake

robertbb

by robertbb

The Hut is not the shipper. Hut Group is the parent company that owns PBK and a few other online retailers.

robertbb

by robertbb

Also, I wouldn't want to use Skynet to deliver my cycling goods. It's been unreliable ever since it became self aware at 2:14 a.m., EDT, on August 29, 1997 and nuked Russia.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Bike24 - huge selection, efficient costumer service.
r2bike - for the exotic stuff and wheel build service.
Starbike - service is second to none! (They actually went out of their way to source an elusive rear hub at another German web shop, built my wheelset, and still gave full guarantee on that rear hub.)

gwilson

by gwilson

I reached out to PBK about no longer having untracked mail as an option, and this was what they said:
"We have changed the delivery method and company used due to a large issue of orders taking many weeks to arrive due to a backlog in Canada Post, and the couriers' systems. As such we are now using an express service to improve delivery time sand assure tracking information is available.

Unfortunately that does come at a higher cost, but this decision was made as the company was losing money from lots of missing orders."

When I asked which couriers they used, they said DHL and TrakPak. Personally I've found DHL to be the worst for deliveries to Canada, often collecting close to 50% of the total price in brokerage, duties, and taxes. Haven't tried TrakPak but not sure if it is worth the risk to make an order with them anymore

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Are European companies going to take the month of of August off this year? I'm curious because the online shops I've checked out are understocked when it comes to items like road tires, specifically Michelin and Veloflex.

Point

by Point

I have noticed a few of you rate R2-Bike. Presumably they're a reputable European retailer, not selling grey imports?
I'm about to pull the trigger on some Di2 kit but don't want to make a costly mistake.
Burls Custom Ti
Rove ST Bikepacker
Instagram

DC41

by DC41

I personally have had great experiences with biketiresdirect.com. Always ships quickly and shipping is free in the US for orders over $50. They have a point system that earns you credit on future purchases. Prices are reasonable with the occasional killer deal thrown in. One time I had a problem it was handled quickly and professionally. They'll match competitors' prices as well. Anyway, my .02.
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

by Weenie