Best Online Store

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

desperado95219

by desperado95219

[quote=nismosr post_id=1577438 time=1592401631 user_id=8746]
anyone of you from the US got charge tax/duties from a 1K purchase from either Merlin or Probike because they use DHL ?
[/quote]

Not me!

by Weenie

jspaceman

by jspaceman

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:48 pm
I just ordered a pair of DHB bibshorts from Wiggle and only after checking out I learned they are using Skynet for shipping which if I had known before I would not have purchased. Anyway Skynet lost the package so I asked Wiggle for a refund which they did give me. I know CRC is also using Skynet which doesnt impress me much but I am hoping that Merlin doesnt do the same thing which last time I used them they did not use Skynet. I was able to find a pair of bibshorts through La Passione site who use the Elastic Interface pad similar to the DHB shorts. Best part is they have a distributor on this side of the pond.
Merlin uses Royal Mail*. I'm currently waiting on an order from them that was shipped over two weeks ago via Royal Mail, still hasn't arrived. But that could be Canada Post's fault. I'm not sure what Skynet is. Aren't they the ones who build the Terminators that kill off humanity?

*They use Royal Mail if they are shipping from the UK. I think Merlin also has a warehouse in Spain because I ordered a groupset from them back in the winter and it came from Madrid via the Spanish postal service.

Orbital

by Orbital

jspaceman wrote:
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:48 pm
I just ordered a pair of DHB bibshorts from Wiggle and only after checking out I learned they are using Skynet for shipping which if I had known before I would not have purchased. Anyway Skynet lost the package so I asked Wiggle for a refund which they did give me. I know CRC is also using Skynet which doesnt impress me much but I am hoping that Merlin doesnt do the same thing which last time I used them they did not use Skynet. I was able to find a pair of bibshorts through La Passione site who use the Elastic Interface pad similar to the DHB shorts. Best part is they have a distributor on this side of the pond.
Merlin uses Royal Mail*. I'm currently waiting on an order from them that was shipped over two weeks ago via Royal Mail, still hasn't arrived. But that could be Canada Post's fault. I'm not sure what Skynet is. Aren't they the ones who build the Terminators that kill off humanity?

*They use Royal Mail if they are shipping from the UK. I think Merlin also has a warehouse in Spain because I ordered a groupset from them back in the winter and it came from Madrid via the Spanish postal service.
Skynet might as well be just as evil. PBK used them to ship an order to me and I thought it was a scam when they contacted me for brokerage fees on top of duty and taxes on an order under $100. I refused the package and spent the next few months battling for a refund on the order from PBK. They eventually apologized and said they were trying cheaper shipping methods and werent aware Skynet would be charging brokerage. Canada Post does all this on your behalf.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Ordered from Merlin on May 26th, and the package finally arrived yesterday. It sat at Canada Post for 2.5 weeks, before being delivered to me.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg)

sfo423

by sfo423

Can we get a 'worst online or physical bike store' thread for horror stories (and shops to avoid)?

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I just recieved an email from Skynet stating that they have my lost parcel and that duties and taxes need to be paid before I can aquire my package. Decided to pay it even though Wiggle was kind enough to refund me for the lost package and obviously Skynet and Wiggle dont communicate so well otherwise I would not have gotten a notice to pay. Hopefully Skynet can actually deliver but I dont have much faith in them.
I did have good luck with my La Passione delivery through Fed Ex and only had to pay the duties and taxes. Going forward I really dont want to deal with Skynet if possible and I even emailed CRC asking if they could reveal who delivers our package as we purchase items and then make the choice of standard or whatever. They said they dont know who will do the deliveries until after the purchase has been made which gives the buyer no obvious choice if they want to avoid shippers like Skynet. I would pay extra for delivery if I knew that Skynet was not to handle my package.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I've had terrible problems with international shipping that I now only buy online from the country that I am in. To stay competitive these companies often do free shipping, but obviously this is expensive so they use increasingly low-grade delivery companies. In China I use Taobao for everything, in the UK I use Wiggle. I heard Wiggle went downhill, but I haven't had any problems, even with returns. CRC and Merlin have both let me down badly in the past.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

So I just checked the tracking on the Wiggle parcel that Skynet was handling and the shipper has now sent it back to Wiggle and yes I did cancel the parcel after Skynet lost it but when I got the email stating that taxes and duties are due I paid it because it appeared that the parcel was found and on its way. Also Skynet charges everyday that money is due and not getting paid. So now I have to try and get reimbursed for the duties and taxes I paid which wasnt much but I dont have big expectations. Guess I will get to harrass them now instead of the other way round. So far Merlin has not been too bad and they actually tell you who is handling your parcels whereas CRC and Wiggle wont tell you until after you have made your purchase. If I have learned anything from the dealings with Skynet through CRC and Wiggle is I just wont purchase from them knowing there is a chance they will use Skynet. Glad this wasnt a big purchase.
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake

velomane

by velomane

Thanks for the update bikeboy1tr. Be sure to let those retailers know about your decision. I'll be avoiding them too.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Np velomane, I think this thread is turning into worst online stores or well at least their shippers. Guess that could be a whole thread on its own.
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake

robertbb

by robertbb

sfo423 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:34 pm
Can we get a 'worst online or physical bike store' thread for horror stories (and shops to avoid)?
Bikeinn.

jcrr

by jcrr

robertbb wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:47 pm
sfo423 wrote:
Bikeinn.
I have had good luck with bikeinn orders to USA (pre COVID), smaller shimano bits. Is there some specific item(s)/country which bikeinn messes up?
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

Orbital

by Orbital

jcrr wrote:
robertbb wrote:
sfo423 wrote:
Bikeinn.
I have had good luck with bikeinn orders to USA (pre COVID), smaller shimano bits. Is there some specific item(s)/country which bikeinn messes up?
For me, they were selling items they didn’t actually have in stock. I waited weeks for stuff they said would be in their warehouse in a few days before finally cancelling the order. First and last order for me. There’s just so many online shops and sellers why bother with second chances.

robertbb

by robertbb

jcrr wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 am
robertbb wrote:
sfo423 wrote:
Bikeinn.
If you're lucky enough to actually receive what you ordered (i.e. they had it in stock and didn't send you a different size/colour "accidentally"), they may be OK.
Returning anything to them is likely to end up a loss. They pretend the item is "stuck in customs" and has never arrived. This has been reported by many, many people. I tried for months to engage with them but was given the run-around; eventually took it up with my credit card company who refunded me.

by Weenie

Lewn777

by Lewn777

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm
So I just checked the tracking on the Wiggle parcel that Skynet was handling and the shipper has now sent it back to Wiggle and yes I did cancel the parcel after Skynet lost it but when I got the email stating that taxes and duties are due I paid it because it appeared that the parcel was found and on its way. Also Skynet charges everyday that money is due and not getting paid. So now I have to try and get reimbursed for the duties and taxes I paid which wasnt much but I dont have big expectations. Guess I will get to harrass them now instead of the other way round. So far Merlin has not been too bad and they actually tell you who is handling your parcels whereas CRC and Wiggle wont tell you until after you have made your purchase. If I have learned anything from the dealings with Skynet through CRC and Wiggle is I just wont purchase from them knowing there is a chance they will use Skynet. Glad this wasnt a big purchase.
Such a shame these online stores use such terrible postal services. I had a similar problem with CRC delivering to China. To be honest if I lived in North America I'd only order from North American stores. The hassle isn't worth it unless you can fully trust the carrier, and not knowing who that might be until after the purchase is in all honesty ridiculous.