John/Juanmoretime gone?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

flying

by flying

I am not sure what happened & having just read a bit in the Trek Censorship thread ??.....

It seems John/Juanmortime has left the forum & erased all his posts??

I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear this. John has been here longer than I & I have been here awhile.

Juanmoretime served a long time as a mod here & was always fair & always willing to help others with any bike problem.
A longtime avid weight weenie I remember back around 2007? I think he called me on the phone & although we never spoke before
we went on & on for over an hour.

Great guy & John if your reading this I hope you will reconsider & return. You are the type of forum member who made WW what it is.
If folks like you continue to leave this place will just be a shell of its former self

As I said I have a wealth of no idea what happened but also want to say I of course respect your decision in any case

Take care!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

it's sad to see prominent members with actual knowledge, inside information, and friendly approach leave and being replaced by folks with opinions..

yes, I'm certainly the latter, but without WW I'd be much further deep into the woods about almost anything regarding bike biz, tech, training.. damn, almost anything really. if someone asks me anything and I'm able to give an informed response, it's almost always because I've learned about it here
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

ms6073

by ms6073

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:02 pm
without WW I'd be much further deep into the woods about almost anything
Without WW, my bank account would probably have a bigger surplus. :beerchug:
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Will be sad to lose another member/moderator of JMT’s quality........
Last edited by beanbiken on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BB

Coffee & carbon

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Certainly there is something up. I've been here a couple years and read more than put in my $.02. I can understand that people have bad days and just leave, but to take all of your previous posts with you seems to be a bit harsh.
Last edited by Butcher on Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ichobi

by ichobi

No surprise really for the way he was being hounded from the emonda thread. Although his decision to delete the post was a little perplexed.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Well, this forum looks nothing like what it once did. Many of the people who were on the cutting edge of WW stuff left a long, long time ago and the way things are going, some more look to be exiting as well. There's far more to enjoy in life than moderating this stuff.
Speedplay is the devil!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yup, a loss.

Please let's not blame a change in this forum over the years on changes in online behaviour by the members. There have always been characters (remember Superlight?). Fact is we hit peak weightweenie about three or four years ago, maybe longer. Nobody cares if you can get your disc bike close to 6.8kg. And if it doesn't have discs, well then of course anything decent is light - but it's also considered "vintage". All of us seem to care much less about weight than we used to, so we obsess about other shit in circles. Still fun though and there is always lots of useful info.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

robertbb

by robertbb

I've been here over a decade too... perhaps not as long as others, but quite a while!

Per my observations, a few things have happened:

1) After rapid improvements in design/construction with composites, the industry has reached a point where increasingly lighter weight is extremely difficult to achieve safely...
2) The science has shown that marginal weight reductions really don't make a meaningful amount of difference to performance, unless you're a professional, as compared to aerodynamics
3) The understanding of aerodynamics means more weight is actually added to frames, because this require more surface area (simple physics)
4) The focus on aerodynamics has resulted in a high degree of integration (stems, bars and seatposts) which further limits opportunities for tinkering and experimenting. This will only increase... remember when one could work on their car at home... now you need a $100,000 computer and proprietary software to talk to your engine. Bike industry is heading in a similar direction.
5) As cycling has become more popular and mainstream, "old-school" forumites have been replaced with (or at least outnumbered by) highly opinionated racer boi wannabees
6) Companies see forums as a great way to influence buyers, and there are numerous shills floating around. So it becomes hard to separate fact (or at least, unbiased opinion) from marketing

There are other cool forums. I'm really enjoying the paceline lately. A mostly older crowd who don't really race, but just love tinkering with stuff and building bikes that are just fun to ride not necessarily aero or light. Lots of discussion of custom frames and builders, and plenty of people still running 10 speed... ;-)

flying

by flying

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:08 pm
Please let's not blame a change in this forum over the years on changes in online behaviour by the members.
Not to single you out my friend but.... I was just thinking it quite is changes in online behavior IMHO

I know it is an old person saying
Meaning ...."Things use to be better when I was young" etc but....

Sad to say IMHO....this place ain't what it use to be

In the case of this forum back in its early years it really was something.
Folks were more freindly & of course the central theme was weight & the weight listings were active,
I think the listings have been broken since what???2009 then limped along till 2012??

But the people were cycling fanatics in every aspect. From riding to wrenching to pro racing & pro racing history.

These days? Really sad to say it is more of a Rapha club type place.

Let me give two recent examples
A recent post about Raymond Poulidor dying gets nearly 500 views & only 2 RIP responses :(

Or this....Closer to home / this forum….
Juan himself recently posted that it was his 63rd Birthday it got 186 views yet only 2 Happy Birthday messages :oops:

Come On! After all that this guy has done for this forum?? 186 member can read it & not at the very least wish him a Happy Birthday

Yeah Old saying maybe but.... it ain't what it used to be.

Just IMO of course

AJS914

by AJS914

I never saw that thread and now that I've searched I see it was titled "Happy Orb day.". See, I have no idea what that means and is certainly a topic I'd skip as I don't have time to read every single topic.

It's really too bad that this has all played out this way.

robertbb

by robertbb

Yep totally agreed AJS94.

And, flying, go take a look at how many people posted in the thread RE: Calnago... it's a lot!

flying

by flying

Yes sorry

I am not saying someone should have found that thread

I AM saying 186 folks read it & 184 said nada read it & left period

Same with the Poulidor topic
How the heck can a cycling forum have 500 views of that topic & 2 voice condolences or even respond at all?
Raymond Poulidor!

I am not saying a forum "has" to be this or that
I am saying as I originally led with "it ain't what it used to be".

It is what it is & maybe this is now what it is
Last edited by flying on Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Agree. WWwas a lot better in the old days. Mad cow, Juan more time, pKor, good old days. Now there are a few people who do name calling or are being offensive that ruins it for others

flying

by flying

mike wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 am
Agree. WWwas a lot better in the old days. Mad cow, Juan more time, pKor, good old days. Now there are a few people who do name calling or are being offensive that ruins it for others
Right there you have named the ones that really stood out in my mind too! + LJ :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com