Virus And Riding.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spud

by spud

The other epidemic running rampant in this country - "it can't be true unless it happened to me". I pity healthcare workers in low vax areas who commit all their time, and in some cases, their lives, to taking care of people who feel not an iota of responsibility to their neighbors.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

synchronicity wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:05 pm
Actually people are still flying to/from Australia. :|
I thought only Australians could return to Australia. This from your ministry of health:
Travel into Australia
Australia’s borders are closed. The only people who can travel to Australia are:
Australian citizens
permanent residents
immediate family members
travellers who have been in New Zealand for at least the 14 days before the date of departure. This does not include the Realm Countries of the Cook Islands and Niue.

synchronicity wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:05 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:42 pm
Sounds like your arguing that because so few died, Australia should do nothing.
No I'm not saying that at all.🙂
I was one of the first to get the Pfizer vaccine in my age group. I had to drive a total of 8 hours to get both shots.
Apologies and yes indeed, I know that you are not saying that, rather I was riffing on your idea that media is somehow devious and under false pretenses creating an impression out of proportion to the actual seriousness of the problem. While there are sources of information that certain people get their hands on that are utter BS, legimate news media just does not operate in that way. It becomes clear very quickly that people who dismiss legimate news media as "untrustworthy" are just looking for a way to not deal with facts that are uncomfortable for them, that don't fit with what they want to believe. It is most often not malicious on the part of these people, it's just human nature. People's minds will do gymnastics to avoid having to accept a "hard" truth and experience the stress of that - it's a survival instinct deep in our genetics. This is why some good people may believe some extraordinarily stupid things.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Yes Australians are allowed to return home (if they can afford the price of a ticket). But some of them were coming from places like India when there was a huge wave there with over 400k daily infections.

It seems to me Sydney is gradually losing control of the outbreak.😨 The number of infections is still rising [apparently] despite a month or more of fairly solid lockdown. We were lucky right up until last month. Now the delta variant has arrived and there is not enough pfizer to go around (everyone seems to want pfizer because the AZ vaccine comes with an ever so slight chance of fatal blood clots and given the choice, I think most people would naturally want to avoid that).

The government previously sent out mixed messaging regarding the vaccines and age groups. And now they've backtracked and are saying "just get either one, now". Well fair enough. I'm sure that some of the vaccine hesitancy is because people are booked in for a pfizer shot in the coming weeks/months and they don't want to lose their spot. I think if AZ was the only vaccine available from the very beginning, the outcome might have been different (cause it would have been that or nothing). But people want a choice. They should have been given the choice right from the start.

What I'd like to know is who is responsible for this whole complete balls up. I mean, politicians are getting paid shiteloads of money. They knew it was coming. They should have organised it better (faster vax rates being the main priority). Instead, they took their time –precious time– to prioritise older people first (because they are the most vulnerable). Again, fair enough, but I imagine that older people living in an aged care facility don't spread the virus as much as younger people do. I think they should have offered the vaccine to ANYONE wanting it, straight away, no questions asked. As late as a few weeks ago, many (most?) people under 40 were still waiting for their turn, phase "2A" or "2B" (or whatever). :shock:

I think part of it is too much bureaucracy and red tape about having/getting the inoculation. For example the booking process itself is not straightforward. Then you automatically get sent two surveys after each shot, asking you about any possible symptoms you might be experiencing, so that they have more statistics to work with. But okay, that app had to be developed. How long did that take? I just think it would have been smarter to erect tents (or something like that, or maybe set it up in local schools) in every town and suburb where people could walk into, and then alot 5 minutes for the vaccine to be administered. Jabs in arms with the least fuss possible. No bookings required. Something more like voting day, where everyone in the whole country votes on the same day. At the moment it's taking too long. It's like 15 or 20 minutes per person with all the plethora of questions they ask you.

Anyway, I'm just glad I can still ride my bike outside. :lol:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

The issue is you are lookng at current events and lockdowns due to the Delta variant of Covid, whereas all our vaccination priorities were based on the original Alpha strain.
Im sure had Delta been the original strain, the vaccination schedule and priorities would have been different.

Regardless, it is true that the government put "too much faith" in AZ and took too long to purchase Pfizer, which is why we are only now getting reasonable supplies of Pfizer.

I still wondering how you managed to get your Pfizer shots so fast!

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I'll tell you how. I saw this news article in the ABC one day a few months back that said shots were open to over-40s
I can't remember what it said exactly, but for people wanting to get in early so to speak.

I clicked the link straight away and booked in right there and then (the wait time was a few weeks).
I had to drive all the way to Bega to get it done. That was the main bummer, 'cause it's about two hours' drive away.

I got my first shot of pfizer 10 June.
Second shot of pfizer 06 July.

I knew it was coming. You only need to look around the world. Australia isn't special. We are lagging behind the world but it was always going to hit us, just a question of when.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Im booked in for my first shot next saturday (although I just got a text to say my appointment has been moved from a local clinic to a new mass vaccination hub opening on monday...not sure if that is good or bad)
Wife gets her second shot today
Son (21 but has T1D so in a high risk group) has his first tomorrow
Father and Mother in Law both had both their AZ a while ago

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Wow, you downunder guys are in a bad situation for such an advanced country. When does your government figure they will get to 75% fully vaccinated? I think you are in a race against Delta. Weird how if things had been worse at the beginning you might have no worries now. Given the choice I'd always take the first vaccine available. The AstraZeneca is very effective and not only is the blood clot issue extremely remote, doctors now have a protocol to treat it.

Just be thankful you don't have a huge portion of the population who believes that Covid is a hoax designed to control them, or a way for Bill Gates to inject microchips into them :shock: . Than you'd be f**ked. We dodged that bullet in Canada, apparently just not how people here think. Most of our politicians, particularely the more conservative ones, have been resisting calls to place legal restrictions on the unvaccinated, thinking it would cost them votes. Well, a poll came out today that 80% of Canadians want restrictions on the unvaccinated. Basically, no vaccine, than not allowed in public places. Watch how fast these politicians tune changes. Not surprising the 80% figure - same percentage of the population that is vaccinated.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the Delta variant means that anywhere that the majority of people are unvaccinated, there will be serious outbreaks, lockdowns, and high death rates. For people that think the media coverage is pretty intense now just wait until the number of children that die starts to grow. That will be very tragic.

Oh and @synchronicity, perhaps it's relative but politicians don't make a lot of money...unless they steal it. :D
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:34 pm
Wow, you downunder guys are in a bad situation for such an advanced country. When does your government figure they will get to 75% fully vaccinated? I think you are in a race against Delta. Weird how if things had been worse at the beginning you might have no worries now. Given the choice I'd always take the first vaccine available. The AstraZeneca is very effective and not only is the blood clot issue extremely remote, doctors now have a protocol to treat it.
Government is talking about offering shots everyone that wants to be vaccinated by November
The population as a whole hasn't taken Covid as seriously as it should have.
Too many people thinking its nothing more than a flu or it only effects older people.
While that may have been partially true with the Alpha strain, the Delta strain is a totally different beast.
We had a 27 y/o die a couple of days ago in Sydney, and despite it being confirmed he had the delta strain and was unwell for 13 days, people still saying it isnt what killed him, etc, etc
The media has a lot to answer for regarding AZ and the blot clot issue. I think we have had something like 7 people now die from blot clots (the lastest was a 34 y/o female in Sydney on a day or two ago) out of 6.8 million first doses of AZ.
They have blown it out of all proportion, and that combined with the goverment changing its recommendatiions on who should get AZ (was first over 40's, the over 50's and now its over 60's, but anyone over 18 can request AZ which we have plenty of stock of as its manufactured here provided they have informed consent from the Dr) means there is a lot of people holding out for Pfizer
Mr.Gib wrote:
Just be thankful you don't have a huge portion of the population who believes that Covid is a hoax designed to control them, or a way for Bill Gates to inject microchips into them :shock: . Than you'd be f**ked. We dodged that bullet in Canada, apparently just not how people here think. Most of our politicians, particularely the more conservative ones, have been resisting calls to place legal restrictions on the unvaccinated, thinking it would cost them votes. Well, a poll came out today that 80% of Canadians want restrictions on the unvaccinated. Basically, no vaccine, than not allowed in public places. Watch how fast these politicians tune changes. Not surprising the 80% figure - same percentage of the population that is vaccinated.
We still have far too many that think its all a hoax, or that the governement lockdowns are too tough and we should just open everything back up
We already have talk of a digital vaccine passport and employers are starting to implement a "no jab, no work" policy, and not just in health care either
Mr.Gib wrote:
I said it before and I'll say it again, the Delta variant means that anywhere that the majority of people are unvaccinated, there will be serious outbreaks, lockdowns, and high death rates. For people that think the media coverage is pretty intense now just wait until the number of children that die starts to grow. That will be very tragic.
That will be extremely tragic, but it may be what we actually need to shock the people that still think this is nothing worse than a flu
I still see too many people living their lives like nothing has changed and taking zero precautions for their own safety and the safety of their family and the community

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I feel like an ass but I can't help cracking a wry smile everytime a report emerges that some "Covid is hoax" politician dies from Covid. My favorite was the president of Tanzania. And check out this asshole https://www.businessinsider.com/texas-g ... -19-2021-8 Oops. The amazing thing is that his death, while of course tragic, probably saved lives.

I have this perverse fantasy that if I were a dictator I would not force my subjects... er loyal citizens... to get vaccinated, but if they catch Covid, no admittance to hospital allowed. Hospitals are reserved for the vaccinated only. :D

To serious matters, there is already evidence that vaccination rates shoot up in areas where prominant deaths occur, such as those of children or well know people. So yes, it will take a tragic level of lives lost before we see adequate immunization rates in some places. Odd, but I wonder now if a higher disease fatality rate would ultimately mean fewer deaths. hmmm.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:22 am
Odd, but I wonder now if a higher disease fatality rate would ultimately mean fewer deaths. hmmm.
I think youre right
Too many see this now as nothing to worry about so some people need a dose of reality to get moving

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Mr.Gib wrote:
Just be thankful you don't have a huge portion of the population who believes that Covid is a hoax designed to control them, or a way for Bill Gates to inject microchips into them :shock: . Than you'd be f**ked.
I just cannot for the life of me understand the logic. Where is the microchip in a liquid?🤨

We had several thousand protesters in major cities. None of them turned up the next weekend when they were threatened with being arrested though.😂 Seems they do care about freedom, freedom from not being locked up! Some of them are paranoid, yes. But I think half of them are merely acting like big children. All because they aren't allowed to do what they want, when they want, where they want. That's what it's about. They shouldn't have taken their freedom for granted before the Wuhan* virus came along then!

Sooner or later this was going to happen. And worse viruses may come along in future.

There's also this new news:
Australians who live overseas will no longer be granted an automatic exemption from the ongoing international travel ban, meaning they will have to submit a "compelling reason" to return to their home.
* Yes I'm now going to refer to it by its original name. Because it's all China's fault, and I think we should all be compensated.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

I read an paper a couple of years ago about the rise of conspiracy theories, and how they take hold these days, now that it can all be disseminated via social media.

Was quite an eye opener, and I suspect things will get a lot worse (there is a trend of younger people being *more* trusting of stuff they read online than crusty old people in their 40s and 50s).

Andrew69

by Andrew69

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:02 am
Was quite an eye opener, and I suspect things will get a lot worse (there is a trend of younger people being *more* trusting of stuff they read online than crusty old people in their 40s and 50s).
I work with a guy who just turned 30 (Im 49) and he is normally a totally rational and seemingly sane individual, but as soon as we start talking about checking in to businesses (to assist in contact tracing), or wearing a mask, or how the Delta variant seems to be affecting your people just as much as older people, he turns into a conspiracy theorist of the craziest kind. Teels me how he wont get vaccinated (unproven and untested vaccine who's development was rushed...yet happily gave his 6 month old son a MMR vaccine), refuses to wear a mask unless he is denied entry into a premises and believes its all just an excuse for the government to trample on our rights

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Andrew69 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:11 am
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:02 am
I work with a guy who just turned 30 (Im 49) and he is normally a totally rational and seemingly sane individual, but as soon as we start talking about checking in to businesses (to assist in contact tracing), or wearing a mask, or how the Delta variant seems to be affecting your people just as much as older people, he turns into a conspiracy theorist of the craziest kind. Teels me how he wont get vaccinated (unproven and untested vaccine who's development was rushed...yet happily gave his 6 month old son a MMR vaccine), refuses to wear a mask unless he is denied entry into a premises and believes its all just an excuse for the government to trample on our rights

He's not wrong. It amazes me how leftists can just gloss over things like forced medical procedures (Hello, Nuremburg code) vaccine passports (Medical apartheid) Reams of data that prove masks less than a N95 rating (which 99% of people are wearing) do absolutley nothing. Funny story I was in a restaraunt in Santa Cruz and had to wear a mask while standing in line right next to people who were allowed to be unmasked while sitting at a table, literally 2 feet away.. This is the absurdity we've arrived at. If you think masking is anything more than control/political theatre you are fooling yourself. I'm looking forward to the trials and incarceration of all the people responsible for this mess in a few years, so many "i told you so" 's in the coming years.